Tires for my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to replace the tires on my 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan with budget friendly all-season tires (215/65r16), which one of this or any other cheap brands you think are a better choice?

Milestar MS932
Nankang As-1 As1
Starfire SOLARUS AS
Westlake RP18

I might think about Douglas from Walmart. They seem to get decent reviews, and are available in lots of places, in case of roadside issues.

Personally I'd go up a tier on tires, often a few bucks more means they are cheaper over the long haul. As in, a $300 set that lasts 20k is more expensive to run than a $400 set that lasts 30k let alone 40k. I'm partial to RT43's although Cooper CS5's get good marks around here too, and might work well for you, being more south (RT43's hold the edge in snow). I'd at least look at the cost difference before just ruling out a better tire.

But I understand that minivans often chew up tires. And a new set of tires will beat a worn out set, any day of the week. [There is an article some place where new Chinese tires had better braking performance than Michelin's that had 4/32's. Of course, worn out Chinese tires are not going to be very good!]

Originally Posted by diyjake
If i'm not mistaken Starfires are made by Cooper?

Quick look shows some affiliation. That doesn't mean they are made on the same lines though, with the same compound etc. Might be an older tread design of theirs, but maybe with a cheaper compound to help drive costs down.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
No one has responded General Altimax RT-43 yet?

crackmeup2.gif
Yeah that seems to always be the reply these days.

OP I can't help you, between those brands I agree it's likely no difference. How long do you plan to keep the vehicle?

General would be a good choice but they are $30-40 more per tire over the brands I listed.

Originally Posted by JLTD

crackmeup2.gif
Yeah that seems to always be the reply these days.

OP I can't help you, between those brands I agree it's likely no difference. How long do you plan to keep the vehicle?

1 to 1-1/2 years at the most.

1 to 1-1/2 years at the most.

Get a set of name brand, Goodyear Goodrich Firestone Michelin used tires for $30 or $40 each. Will be easier to sell it with those tires than those Chinese brands.

After I am done with this van it will be going to the junk yard because of the rust, typical for these van to rust away.

Ah, that does change the equation a bit. How many miles do you expect to do between now and then? Ideally this set would last but not much longer than that, right?

Have you looked on CL? Some on here would turn up their nose but I got a nearly new set a couple years ago for $100. Now I was able to mount myself (had to pay for balance though) but maybe you can score a takeoff set. Yeah paying $25 per then another $25 for mnt&bal might not work, but who knows. Might be worth a quick look. If you do, look up the bolt pattern and center hub size for your van, maybe some other rims will swap (in which case you could open up shopping options).

The taxi company that I drive for has a fleet of 2001-2008 grand caravans, they usually have milestar, starefire or ohtsu tires for non winter months. In the winter, they get cooper evolution winter tires. Are they cheap? Yes, but they are good enough for cars that see different drivers who have different driving styles on roads that have more potholes than pavement.

After I am done with this van it will be going to the junk yard because of the rust, typical for these van to rust away.

Get the Dextero's then.

Also Walmart will be running their black Friday tire sale and I'm sure others will too.

Originally Posted by atikovi
More reason to buy used $20-$25 tires. Don't have to match in make or even size if it's close.

I thought about used tires but it's hardly worth it because I can get new tires around $50-60 for this van. Paying $25 bucks for a tire that has 40%-50% thread just didn't make any sense to me.

I was interested in that Starfire until I saw a model in the store. It was lacking in sipes or sipe depth (forgot which one) but decided will not be using it. Would never use the Westlake either.

That Milestar model is getting some pretty good comments so it would be the only one that I'd consider from your list. If you want lower end tires consider the Goodyear Viva III at $20 off over black friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back