Tire repair kits

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I know, the best tire repair kit is a full size spare...

But what if you have a sporty car or a hybrid or any of the number of other cars that don't even come with a donut anymore?

It seems that there are a few schools of thought. One might be that if you hit something big enough to cause a blowout no kit or pump is over going to help you and smaller things tend to allow the tire to hold air for a while. So if you have TPMS and you don't hit anything too large, you might have a good chance of catching it when the issue is just a small leak as opposed to a major failure.

After all, small failures even 2000 miles from home can be done at a tire shop someplace because nothing is that exotic. And again, any issue that large is probably going to require a tire anyway.

So what's the best strategy and what are the best tire repair kits? Though air is available at so many service stations all over the country I typically do carry a bicycle pump on long drives for convenience. but is it worth it to carry a tire repair kit or is my logic from above valid? I generally prefer to be prepared, but every little thing is added weight and if it's going to sit in the hot car and eventually become worthless and useless as it dries out over time, then is it really a smart addition to the kit?

If yes, then what is the best kit? Auto parts stores generally only carry one, while Amazon seems to have a bunch of kits that have additional tools and all kinds of things. Auto parts store is generally only carry one while Amazon seems to have a bunch of kits that have additional tools and all kinds of things. it's not really clear to me if the reaming tools and the sticky plugs that they offer really are better one than any other.

Then there's the argument of patches versus plugs versus patch plugs, and which is best, but I'd go in with the assumption that any repair I would make would not be sufficiently permanent, and would still require attention from a qualified tire shop. in other words, a convenient enough "to get me home" repair so I don't have to wait for a tow truck to get someplace.

Any idea how long these tire repair kits last sitting in the trunk of a car?

I do the rope patch things but I've had a few nails that plugged so tight I just left 'em. The heads wore off and there was just a little "stud" remaining.

You said it all in the first line of your post. MDW's Camry has a donut. My cars carry full size spares. As for the repair kits, I had a flat and used the car's kit to get it to a tire outlet. It was a rental. I was tied up for an hour while a new pair of tires was put on. I can change a tire in about 10 minutes on the road. So I'm not a fan.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I do the rope patch things but I've had a few nails that plugged so tight I just left 'em. The heads wore off and there was just a little "stud" remaining.

Right, that's kind of my point. If you get a nail or a screw there's a good chance that it will actually hold pretty tight at least for a good while and then only start leaking slowly. Historically I've been very lucky, but the few screws and nails that we have collected in our tires have been observed by me soon enough that they weren't big leaks. The only other tire casualties I've ever had have either been large items that caused a blowout, or one time I did catch a fairly large piece of metal that rapidly caused the loss of air.

I don't think the blowouts or metal that rapidly caused air loss would have been fixed with a bike pump and patch kit anyway. Queue spare which I don't have...

So that justifies that there will most always be time and ability to fix the small stuff, and the big ones will require a tow, so be ready... And don't bother carrying a patch kit... Just take it for professional repair when you find an issue...

Originally Posted By: andyd
You said it all in the first line of your post. MDW's Camry has a donut. My cars carry full size spares. As for the repair kits, I had a flat and used the car's kit to get it to a tire outlet. It was a rental. I was tied up for an hour while a new pair of tires was put on. I can change a tire in about 10 minutes on the road. So I'm not a fan.
grin2.gif

Ok but then the option is to not buy the car, or else find a fix that can help reduce the risks sufficiently to be less of an issue than doing nothing. And leave the real as unmitigated risk. So be it, it happens.

I've used a cheapo rope patch kit many times with good success, even recently when a rental car picked up a long nail radially through the sidewall. Sure, it's "non-repairable" but the rope patch held for the rest of the week I had it with zero problems, much less than the problems caused or exacerbated by putting on the flat doughnut spare and having to go through Enterprise to get it taken care of mid-rental.

Several years ago I bought a Dynaplug, which seems like a cool idea but in practice is much harder to insert than the cheapo rope plugs. Much more expensive, too. It failed where the cheapo rope plug worked.

I like having a repair kit, valve cores and a stem tool in the car. If nothing else it can help you limp it more quickly to have it repaired "professionally".

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Same here. I started using them after I saw my buddy dismount his tires and he had 30+ per tire with over 15k miles on the plugs. Working construction, we picked up a nail every week or so.

So then is there one brand of rope plug, for example for sale on Amazon, that is better than the others?

How long do these kits last living in the trunk of a car through the winters and summers?

http://www.safetyseal.com/

American made. Sold hundreds of kits over the years when I worked for Napa-not sold thru Napa we bought it direct. Tire shops, farmers, industrial accounts, fleets etc and we never had one complaint. I carry one in my car and have used it numerous times with great success.

Dave

I hit a thick screw where it was clear I was losing air, I was happy I had a patch kit. Raspd the hole, inserted plug and drove 2 seasons without even adding a bit of air. Patch kit weighs nothing and wont hurt to have in your trunk. I likely keep too much stuff in my car..temp spare, patch kit, air inflator, mechanic jack, rags etc. Some people call me crazy, but it has all come in handy at times.

Originally Posted By: bmod305

American made. Sold hundreds of kits over the years when I worked for Napa-not sold thru Napa we bought it direct. Tire shops, farmers, industrial accounts, fleets etc and we never had one complaint. I carry one in my car and have used it numerous times with great success.

Dave

Done and done. U.S. Made and seemingly higher quality Kevlar plugs...

Thanks!!

Wonder how long the plugs last if left unused in the kit. I assume the adhesive cures/dries out...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Dave

Done and done. U.S. Made and seemingly higher quality Kevlar plugs...

Thanks!!

Wonder how long the plugs last if left unused in the kit. I assume the adhesive cures/dries out...

Put it in a sealed freezer bag, it will not dry out.

I have used rope plugs WITH a tube of tire cement. The rope plugs were packed between two layers of plastic, and had been in the trunk many years.

I'm sure the cement helped insert the plug, and the repair lasted the remaining life of the tire without, having adding air.

If you're looking for a quick roadside repair any plug will do the job. And one of the cheap little 12v air compressors from HF beat a bicycle pump any day.

The kit with the metal handled tools is impressive, very nice. If you're using a cheapie kit, with plastic handled tools, consider wearing leather gloves. It can take a lot of force to ream the tire and install the plug. If the plastic handle broke, you'd end-up reaming the palm of your hand.

Tire shops, farmers, industrial accounts, fleets etc and we never had one complaint. I carry one in my car and have used it numerous times with great success.

They are fantastic. We went through many of them in the taxis!

Pliers, compressor, and even a jack/lug wrench is a must for roadside tire repair, and the repair kit too. If not a fast leak leave it alone, and keep it pumped up to get it where it can be repaired correctly. Big leak needs a tow.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
If you're looking for a quick roadside repair any plug will do the job. And one of the cheap little 12v air compressors from HF beat a bicycle pump any day.

I use a bike pump exclusively. Those little cheap 12v inflator a are more trouble than they're worth. Maybe an expensive Vlair would be ok, but I'm not interested in those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back