Black Friday specials on second tool kit

So I am looking at deals on second tool kit. Mainly for working on my boat engine (5.7L GM V8). At present I have a tool kit in the boat and a carry tote with more tools I bring in my truck. I add tools to the carry tote from my large workshop tool cabinet and chest as needed.

Boat is at a marina.

Some tool kits have cheap ratchets that break or sockets not deep enough to be useful. And I need a decent set of combination wrenches as I can not depend on a socket to always fit.

Not looking for a home one with with tape measure, level or hammer.

I am looking at $75 to $200.

On Amazon I see a Dekopro 118 piece and Starwork 303 piece for $191.

Last edited:
Lowes has some pretty decent sets on sale right now, in both Kobalt and Craftsman flavors.
I'd buy one for the value proposition, and then, if I selected a Craftsman, I'd pair it up with a decent ratchet.

I would choose one of the sale sets of Husky from
Home Depot or Craftsman from Lowes before either of the two mystery sets that you mention.

Is everything on your boat SAE? Am wondering if just buying a set of wrenches, set of sockets, a halfway decent ratchet, and a box to put into would be better. I like the blow molded kits for holding things, but not sure just how many tools you need here.

I probably have all the tools I need for a second set. But they are split across loose sets and one or two blow moulded cases. In garage that would be fine. But to keep on the boat I need them more organized. Prefer a tool case vs tool box. Could buy a tool case and fill it with the second set tools I have. But they would be unorganized and move around when carried. Just a bunch of tools thrown in a case. A nice blow moulded case would be much nicer. But $200 is a lot to spend just to have organized tools in a blow moulded case.

The downside to a blow molded case is not having space for those odd tools or parts that you might want to carry .

This is an outstanding set at Lowes for $99 with lifetime warranty. The blow molded case is made better than most and the three ratchets have 90 teeth.

1700946973207.png

Last edited:
So I am looking at deals on second tool kit. Mainly for working on my boat engine (5.7L GM V8). At present I have a tool kit in the boat and a carry tote with more tools I bring in my truck. I add tools to the carry tote from my large workshop tool cabinet and chest as needed.

Boat is at a marina.

Some tool kits have cheap ratchets that break or sockets not deep enough to be useful. And I need a decent set of combination wrenches as I can not depend on a socket to always fit.

Not looking for a home one with with tape measure, level or hammer.

I am looking at $75 to $200.

On Amazon I see a Dekopro 118 piece and Starwork 303 piece for $191.
Lowes definitely has some nice holiday sales going on this craftsman is a nice tool set some 6pt and 12pt.

Unfortunately most of this will be overseas stuff.

Be wary of the combinations of sockets and drive sizes. For example. I was given one of those husky Christmas gift kits a few years back. I use it sometimes in a pinch at my garage. Some of the most used sockets are in either 1/4 or 1/2 drive, not 3/8. I often use 1/4 drive as I prefer the size, but when not all sockets are in the size of the ratchet you’re using, it becomes a pain. So make sure that the sockets of most interesting size to you, are available in shallow and deep type, in the drive size you prefer, and not one of each or some funny business.

I’d probably shop for a nos SK 1/4 or 3/8 drive complete set and run with that. You can probably find one around $200. Or similarly one of the old craftsman complete sets. My wife bought me one 15 or so years ago and it’s still my go to.

Unfortunately most of this will be overseas stuff.

Be wary of the combinations of sockets and drive sizes. For example. I was given one of those husky Christmas gift kits a few years back. I use it sometimes in a pinch at my garage. Some of the most used sockets are in either 1/4 or 1/2 drive, not 3/8. I often use 1/4 drive as I prefer the size, but when not all sockets are in the size of the ratchet you’re using, it becomes a pain. So make sure that the sockets of most interesting size to you, are available in shallow and deep type, in the drive size you prefer, and not one of each or some funny business.

I’d probably shop for a nos SK 1/4 or 3/8 drive complete set and run with that. You can probably find one around $200. Or similarly one of the old craftsman complete sets. My wife bought me one 15 or so years ago and it’s still my go to.
Remember this is a second set to keep on my boat or at least bring to my boat to work on it. As I look over the various sets they all seem to have something missing. Some not to many combination wrenches. Others no pliers or Channel Locks.

I see DeWalt has some tool cases that are water resistant with a rubber seal. That should help with salt air getting in and rusting the tools. Maybe just get the DeWalt case and toss in the second set tools I have plus a few new ones.

Did you miss my point that this was a second tool set for my boat?
No. Of course, not. This set is foam packed for motion, modular, easy to store and manage, and complete. Take the modules you need, leave the ones you don't. They stack, store and lock together. Everything you need.

Perfect for your boat.

I read your post several days ago and thought of your boat when this ad was presented today.

But, I did not recall your very modest budget, and so, perhaps this one is not for you. This would make a great second tool set. Well, actually, it might make a great first tool set, too.

Back