Tire Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had excellent luck with Primacy MXV4’s, though no experience in snow thank heavens.

I’ve also had good luck with Contis and BFG. The Jetta has Contis on it now though I don’t recall which ones, and they are quite good performers (again no snow experience)

I can't recommend Primacy, at least the OEM one's I had wore too quickly. And are too squirrely in snow.

Had WRG2's and didn't like them. Not sure if WRG3's are that much better--but not any option anyhow (too expensive).

Have had the General RT43's on both my wife and daughter's AWD SUV's for the last few months. Been very impressed so far for the price. Quiet, stable, grip-y. Haven't had any winter weather yet, obviously, but have done well in the wet. Daughter is in upper MN, so we'll know from her here pretty soon on snow.

On my son's front wheel drive car, I have had Dunlop Signature 2's installed for the past two years. I have also been unexpectedly happy with those as well. They were on sale and pretty inexpensive here and thought I'd slap them on since it was a cheap, old car used just to get my kids through high school. They've actually turned out to be some of the best all season tires I've ever owned. Worth a look if you have a dealer close and can get them for a good price.

Originally Posted By: supton
I can't recommend Primacy, at least the OEM one's I had wore too quickly. And are too squirrely in snow.

Had WRG2's and didn't like them. Not sure if WRG3's are that much better--but not any option anyhow (too expensive).

Remember that OE tires are quite different than aftermarket tires, even if look the same and have the same name. For example, the Primacy MXM4 that came on the car originally are not the same as Primacy MXM4 tires you'd buy from Tire Rack, DT/DTD, or any other tire shop. OE tires are inferior to the aftermarket versions, don't last as long, often come with less tread (for example, the OE tires might start with 9-9.5/32 while the aftermarket version has 10/32)

As far as Nokian being too expensive, you can get the Vredestein Quatrac 5 for $200 on eBay, and they are 2016 production
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
and they are 2016 production
smile.gif

There was a post on here yesterday about someone having an issue with tires made in early 2016 for some winter tires. Saying they would be 2 years old a few months after they're mounted.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
and they are 2016 production
smile.gif

There was a post on here yesterday about someone having an issue with tires made in early 2016 for some winter tires. Saying they would be 2 years old a few months after they're mounted.
smile.gif

Yes, and CapriRacer chimed in saying that it's no problem at all, especially in cold climates. The x-ice 3 thread , right?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Just an FYI:

It is widely thought within the tire industry that any tire within 3 years of production is virtually the same as one produced yesterday. I know the company I worked for tested this to verify that this was true.

Further, since heat appears to be the big issue for tire aging, winter tires don't age as fast.

Also, the issue of tire age is more a factor in the desert southwest US, where the heat affect is quite large. To my knowledge, there aren't any real age issues in the cold parts of the US. This was also something my former employer sought to verify.

The one-year-old Vredestein tires I linked above (date code 3316) are no problem at all
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supton

Remember that OE tires are quite different than aftermarket tires, even if look the same and have the same name. For example, the Primacy MXM4 that came on the car originally are not the same as Primacy MXM4 tires you'd buy from Tire Rack, DT/DTD, or any other tire shop. OE tires are inferior to the aftermarket versions, don't last as long, often come with less tread (for example, the OE tires might start with 9-9.5/32 while the aftermarket version has 10/32)

Yes, I've heard of that. Quite frankly, I find that reason enough to NOT buy. You cannot have two different things sold under the same name! I could use kind words to describe this malarkey; the words I want to say are unprintable.

Quote:

As far as Nokian being too expensive, you can get the Vredestein Quatrac 5 for $200 on eBay, and they are 2016 production
smile.gif

That's a good deal. I know he doesn't want to deal with snows, even if I could find him a set of steelies, as he rents and might be moving in the future. I'm not sure I want to offer to store them for him...

But geez, at that price I'll look into snows for my car (I run snows on my truck and drive that when it snows, but at those prices I wouldn't mind picking up another set of tires).

Remember that OE tires are quite different than aftermarket tires, even if look the same and have the same name. For example, the Primacy MXM4 that came on the car originally are not the same as Primacy MXM4 tires you'd buy from Tire Rack, DT/DTD, or any other tire shop. OE tires are inferior to the aftermarket versions, don't last as long, often come with less tread (for example, the OE tires might start with 9-9.5/32 while the aftermarket version has 10/32) ........

You've got to be careful how you say this.

Yes, OE tires are different than aftermarket tires, but they aren't inferior. They just have different design goals - and the design goals are set by the vehicle manufacturer.

- AND -

I am not aware of any tire manufacturer who produces an OE tire AND an aftermarket version at the same time. There have been some instances in the past, but they were rare.

This is not to say there isn't any overlap in time.

Yes, OE tires are different than aftermarket tires, but they aren't inferior. They just have different design goals - and the design goals are set by the vehicle manufacturer.

Here's a question to muddy the waters, then. The Tire Rack, for instance, correctly lists a certain Continental as the OE tire, and marked as such on their site, for my G37 and offers it for sale. Now, would this be the actual OE tire or an aftermarket version they produced subsequent to that? As an aside, it's pretty darned pricey, but I just came across it there ages back, out of interest.

Originally Posted By: Garak

Here's a question to muddy the waters, then. The Tire Rack, for instance, correctly lists a certain Continental as the OE tire, and marked as such on their site, for my G37 and offers it for sale. Now, would this be the actual OE tire or an aftermarket version they produced subsequent to that? As an aside, it's pretty darned pricey, but I just came across it there ages back, out of interest.

If Tire Rack marks a tire with a specific vehicle make, then that is the OE tire, not an aftermarket version. If and when the tire is reverted to the aftermarket spec, Tire Rack will NOT indicate a vehicle make - just like the rest of their tires. Please note that other tire retailers may not do this. Tire Rack is unique in that regard. - Correction - I see where Discount Tire also marks tires with make of vehicle. It's a little more subtle, though.

Price? I have not figured out why the price seems to be all over the place for OE vs aftermarket tires. I suspect it has to do with the old supply / demand theory - in that, people who want to match a single tire (or a pair) would be willing to pay more.

Last edited:

If Tire Rack marks a tire with a specific vehicle make, then that is the OE tire, not an aftermarket version. If and when the tire is reverted to the aftermarket spec, Tire Rack will NOT indicate a vehicle make - just like the rest of their tires. Please note that other tire retailers may not do this. Tire Rack is unique in that regard. - Correction - I see where Discount Tire also marks tires with make of vehicle. It's a little more subtle, though.

Price? I have not figured out why the price seems to be all over the place for OE vs aftermarket tires. I suspect it has to do with the old supply / demand theory - in that, people who want to match a single tire (or a pair) would be willing to pay more.

I know that the manual for my FXT has some vaguely ominous language about replacement tires matching the characteristics of the OEMs and I'm sure plenty of people just buy the same tires due to that warning and/or because it's easy.
It's a stinkin shame and also irresponsible of Subaru because they are putting just horrendously awful tires on their cars these days, have seen this on my Forester and my daughter's Impreza. Ridiculous to push AWD and then put tires with zero winter grip on their cars.
I believe the OEM tires for my FXT on TireRack were also over $200/tire, so they are putting people in danger AND causing them to be ripped off.

Last edited:
If Tire Rack marks a tire with a specific vehicle make, then that is the OE tire, not an aftermarket version. If and when the tire is reverted to the aftermarket spec, Tire Rack will NOT indicate a vehicle make - just like the rest of their tires.

Thanks for that. As for pricing, I guess that's life. When I last sourced tires for the G37, the dealer got confused about Pirelli pricing, because I suggested it as possible, and they looked up the run flat by mistake, which certainly doesn't save any dollars, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back