Tire Protectant

My main interest is finding a good tire protectant to prevent the sidewall from cracking. There are a ton of tire dressings out there, but I want protection from UV, ozone and whatever else causes a tire to deteriorate. I have used 303 going back 25 years. It has worked OK but price has gone way up and it doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. I tried ‎Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care and it was cheaper and seemed to work about as well as 303. Just wondering if there is something better out there to protect tire sidewalls.

For price, protection, and ease of use, I like VRP by Chemical Guys. It lasts a couple weeks. I dilute it 1:1 and use in a spray bottle. I like that it doesn't make the tires overly shiny, more of a matte finish. Before applying, be sure to clean the tires with a brush and something like Super Clean cleaner/degreaser.

My main interest is finding a good tire protectant to prevent the sidewall from cracking. There are a ton of tire dressings out there, but I want protection from UV, ozone and whatever else causes a tire to deteriorate. I have used 303 going back 25 years. It has worked OK but price has gone way up and it doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. I tried ‎Aero Cosmetics Rubber Care and it was cheaper and seemed to work about as well as 303. Just wondering if there is something better out there to protect tire sidewalls.

I, too, use 303 and I haven’t had any issues with it.

Price increase aside, when you say it “doesn’t seem to work as well as it used to…..” what exactly are you referring to? Longevity? Is the vehicle normally parked outside?

I have also used the Aero Cosmetics product and prefer it for tires. Especially since it doesn’t have that greasy, shiny “attracts anything airborne to the sidewall” look.

For price, protection, and ease of use, I like VRP by Chemical Guys. It lasts a couple weeks. I dilute it 1:1 and use in a spray bottle. I like that it doesn't make the tires overly shiny, more of a matte finish. Before applying, be sure to clean the tires with a brush and something like Super Clean cleaner/degreaser.

How has that worked for you on the tires, longevity-wise?

Have you tried it on exterior trim?

For me, semi-regular applications of Aero Cosmetics works and lasts far better than 303 by a country mile. It’s my go-to now.

The only way to protect your tires is not to use any chemicals on them
and to place the vehicle in a garage and check tire pressures frequently.
Sad truth, but this is the reality. Best UV protection is some kind physical barrier.

I’m not saying this to be a negative Nancy, but most chemicals actually do more harm than good.

I, too, use 303 and I haven’t had any issues with it.

Price increase aside, when you say it “doesn’t seem to work as well as it used to…..” what exactly are you referring to? Longevity? Is the vehicle normally parked outside?

I have also used the Aero Cosmetics product and prefer it for tires. Especially since it doesn’t have that greasy, shiny “attracts anything airborne to the sidewall” look.

How has that worked for you on the tires, longevity-wise?

Have you tried it on exterior trim?
Longevity seems shorter now. Vehicle is parked outside.

The idea that an ultra thin, water clear coating that rinses off, can provide significant protection against aging rubber is incorrect. Oxidation and UV damage is not prevented on paint or rubber by waxes, liquid coatings or ceramic any form of "armor-all". Think about it for a bit, there is a reason sunscreen needs to re-applied every 3-4 hours.

I only do the spare KO2 on the Jeep bcs it catches evening sun under a roof off my shop + trailer tires …
A bottle of 303 will last 6 months …

From his site:

What about tire dressings?

Tire dressings can do one of 2 things:
  • If the tire dressing does not have antioxidants (AO's), it can remove the waxes and AO's from the surface of the tire, thereby accelerating the aging process.

• If the tire dressing has AO's, it can preserve the sidewall, slowing down the aging process on the surface, but since there is oxygen inside the tire, the net effect is that the sidewall will give a false impression of the state of the important rubber.

Back