What is the final word on tire shine?

When I was changing my summer tires to winter I noticed that my summer tires looked more weathered/faded.

Is it a good idea to apply tire shine to protect from UV light?

Or will it actually cause the rubber to degrade faster?

When I was changing my summer tires to winter I noticed that my summer tires looked more weathered/faded.

I personally like the Adams Car Care tire shine as it's water based and seems to last. CNET did a write up recently on tire shine that's worth a read.

Tire shine reviews CNet

In my experience tire shine will fling off eventually and end up on your bumper / qtr and door. You can get your clothes dirty from the flung up residue it as well.

There is a product from Wurth or some industrial adhesive supplier that made a tire protectant for large airplane tires, 737s etc. This product would wipe on, not greasy at all, and it would leave a permanent shine with the UV protection airplane tire need.

I'll use the Meguiars Endurance on the inner sidewalls whenever a wheel is off, but it's a pain to use an applicator regularly, so for the outers, it's Meguiars Hyperdressing 50/50 in a spray bottle. Being water based, it doesn't last long but looks great and is easy to apply.

I’m not sure if any really provide UV protection even though they claim it. You should try CarPro DarkSide and I wouldn’t look back. It’s far superior to most of the stuff suggested in this thread. If you want matte look and are ok with water based then Adams VRT or Graphene VRT is good, but it doesn’t last if it rains a lot.

Tire shine isn't going to do a thing to protect the tire, it's all about appearance. I personally don't like it, I think it attracts dirt.

I agree with dishdude. If you like it, use it, but is only cosmetic. There a lot real UV proctecants for rubber out there if you want to try them, but you have to ask if the cost is worth the percieved benefits. It is "merica. Do what you want. My tires never last long enough treadwear-wise to ever think about it. But then again, my cars area garaged most of the time.

Tire shine isn't going to do a thing to protect the tire, it's all about appearance. I personally don't like it, I think it attracts dirt.
I find the opposite in terms of dirt, especially a hydrophobic coating that cures dry like DarkSide or Fireball's various tire products. Silicone based dressings, yes, those are dirt magnets. After using one of the earlier mentioned products my tires stay pretty clean - cleaner than nothing I do believe.

There is a product from Wurth or some industrial adhesive supplier that made a tire protectant for large airplane tires, 737s etc. This product would wipe on, not greasy at all, and it would leave a permanent shine with the UV protection airplane tire need.

I think you're thinking of rubber care by Aero Cosmetics

https://washwax.com/search?q=rubber+care&options[prefix]=last

Water based like 303 but stays on for a longer time after it rains.

Before putting the summer tires away for the season, I washed them and applied the product to the entire tire - including the tread.. my fingers are crossed there are no issues

Screenshot 2023-11-24 at 5.09.30 AM.jpg

In my experience tire shine will fling off eventually and end up on your bumper / qtr and door. You can get your clothes dirty from the flung up residue it as well.

Yep, not to mention the stains you commonly see in driveways, parking spaces at complexes, etc. from the crap. I see people pay more attention to tire detail that the rest of the vehicle, inside/out.

Back