Tire Prices.....sticker shock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: G-MAN
I've been very pleased with the Sumitomo tires I put on my 300M. The OEM Goodyears were absolute junk. I replaced those at about 30,000 miles with Coopers, which were better but still not outstanding. The Sumitomos, while about the same price as the Coopers, are in a whole different league as far as noise, ride, handling, and smoothness.

su_htr_h4_ci2_l.jpg

Got those on the Cobalt. Love em' The OEM Contis were junk....

go to http://www.tirerack.com. You almost won't find a lower price on most tires they carry. Get local store of your choosing to match their price per their price match policy and call it a day. I will never walk in anywhere to buy a tire without checking them out on tirerack or similiar first. I saved $200 on my last set of tires for my Roadmaster just by getting Belle Tire to price match.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Junior
Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
My favorite low cost, high quality tire is Kuhmo

I would think you would spell the name of your favorite correctly. Kumho.
grin2.gif
Just giving you a hard time. No harm meant. It just found it a little funny.
11.gif

Yep tires are expensive and most people fail to save up for them even though they are a known future expense.

+1

put $3 - $4 a week away in a sock somewhere and you could buy the tyres of your dreams every 3 years.

I agree Tire Rack has a great selection, but to ignore pricing at places like Discount Tire Direct or Treadepot would be unwise, IMO.

Example, been looking at BFG Traction T/A's. In the size I'm looking at, $9 a tire less at Tire Rack but DTD has FREE shipping so, DTD works out to less.

No doubt, TR has the most comprehensive site and is a good place to start. Can't hurt to surf the others to check for best pricing.

I love tire rack. But in my case, Sams or Costco are much cheaper, especially when you consider the warranty (and ease of it's use) and installation/shipping charges.

I have bought from TireRack, and loved it, but IMO the discount chains can give you a better deal, at least if you have a mainstream tire size.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
I love tire rack. But in my case, Sams or Costco are much cheaper, especially when you consider the warranty (and ease of it's use) and installation/shipping charges.

I have bought from TireRack, and loved it, but IMO the discount chains can give you a better deal, at least if you have a mainstream tire size.

+1

I should have added that after you get the best price then you can use it to get a price match.

Discount Tire will equal or beat a Sam's price, I've watched them do it for a customer by getting on the phone to confirm a price. I've also had them beat an online price combined with a Wally install price. Can't speak to a Costco price because the closest one to me is 50 mi. away, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

All my tires from Tire Rack are "shipped" in the back of my car. They have a distribution warehouse about 2 miles from my house. Take said tires across the street to the shop that has $10 per tire mount and balance, and you have one heck of a deal.

I like Kumhos and I've had good luck with General Altimax. Sadly, because it's a new model with an oddball size, Tire Rack only lists the two OEM tires and one snow tire for my car. Hopefully that will change!

Originally Posted By: ET16
Who makes Nexens, and where are they made?

I bought some Hankooks inexpensively that seem to be fine.
I've had good experience with Falken tires, too. They're usually on the less-expensive side.

NEXEN is a South Korean tire manufacturer, competing with Hankook and Kumho in their domestic market. They were actually Korea's first automotive tire company, having entered the market over 50 years ago.

Originally Posted By: ccdhowell
I know this is outside the norm, but last Wednesday I bought new tires for my F250. I bought Toyo Open Country ATs in 325/60R20, 4 tires OTD $2199.54...ouch. I know they are a big tire, but that hurt.

And I thought I got bit when I replaced the tires on my semi tractor? I got 10 Bridgestone tires for my semi at about $350 a tire. Made the last set of steers go for about 130,000 miles and the drives lasted for around 350,000 miles. Bet no one can get their car, suv, or pickup tires to go that long. Pricing seems way out of line for the smaller tires, considering what semi truck tires are required to do on a daily basis far exceeds any pickup or suv, yet the price differential doesn't match up with performance.

Ive been griping on this for a LONG while now. Supposedly we have "better performance", "superior handling", and other things, but at what cost? Common sense would negate those "needs" 99% of the time, and we could still be running 195/70r14 tires on 90% of the cars, which as a daily driver or similar application, is all that is needed.

I actually believe we are LESS SAFE with all the bigger brakes, fatter tires, etc., as the material and implementation costs, especially when on economy cars and cars where the people definitely CANNOT afford the parts, yields stiuations where people will definitely flock to the lowest bidder, the cut-rate job, skinp on doing everything they need, etc.

The OEM firestones on my Saturn Ion lasted about 40k miles. They were in bad shape when I replaced them with another set of firestones (big mistake).

These are $43 each for 14 inch tires. The tires were rotated every 5k miles, the tires are very loud and low on tread after 19k miles of standard service.

This is a 580 treadwear tire!

I have purchased a tire/wheel set for winter tires for the saturn. Hard to beat $290 for a set of 4 tires mounted on new aftermarket wheels (steel wheels).

When it comes to buying just tires for this car, sams club has the best deal in town.

They have BFG's for $44 each, plus $15 a corner to mount, with lifetime rotation.

I have Michelin MXV4 v rated tires on my 2007 Honda Accord. they have 75,000 on them and are about 3/32nds left....VERY happy with the wear and will replace with Michelin Primacy MXV4 but will go with an H rated tire.....

Quote:
especially when on economy cars and cars where the people definitely CANNOT afford the parts

Don't forget those idiots need to have large wheels and tires to look good. I cringe all the time when I see a $1500 import car with 18 or 19 inch wheels/tires.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
The OEM firestones on my Saturn Ion lasted about 40k miles. They were in bad shape when I replaced them with another set of firestones (big mistake).

These are $43 each for 14 inch tires. The tires were rotated every 5k miles, the tires are very loud and low on tread after 19k miles of standard service.

This is a 580 treadwear tire!

I have purchased a tire/wheel set for winter tires for the saturn. Hard to beat $290 for a set of 4 tires mounted on new aftermarket wheels (steel wheels).

When it comes to buying just tires for this car, sams club has the best deal in town.

They have BFG's for $44 each, plus $15 a corner to mount, with lifetime rotation.

When Bridgestone bought out Firestone, they mostly relegated the Firestone brand name to basic OEM tires and lower performance aftermarket passenger tires. There's still excellent tires carrying the Bridgestone label.

When Michelin bought out the right to the B.F. Goodrich tire brand, they actually produced decent aftermarket tires under that name. There are still some stellar tires sold with the B.F. Goodrich label.

Quote:
especially when on economy cars and cars where the people definitely CANNOT afford the parts

Don't forget those idiots need to have large wheels and tires to look good. I cringe all the time when I see a $1500 import car with 18 or 19 inch wheels/tires.

How about some of the Chrysler 300 series with 20 inch wheels?

Quote:

shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back