Tire Prices.....sticker shock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the OEM tires for my 96 vibe are $125 a piece which blew my mind, but their Goodyear Eagle RSA which are junk. I've always paid around $60 a piece for new tires.

Just every tire place I checked like Discount Tire, Belle Tire, Walmart.

Man I remember most tires I was looking at were around 70-95.00.

I think they have went up at least $ 20.00 a tire.

Last edited:
Just buy Nexen. Excellent tires performance wise and last a log time. Highest end tires only about $80 ea for 18 inch.

Tires prices are related to the price of oil but I think we're also seeing the devaluation of the dollar at work.
Americans should get used to paying more for everything. When you couple that with higher taxes and stagnant wages the future doesn't look to rosey.

No question you have to do your homework and be flexible about brands to get the best price. That's how last summer, I ended up with Gen HP's for a Civic. Had a rebate card ($50) like Mich and BFG's have now. Had an online free shipping offer, found the Wally install price, that got matched at DT. I didn't start out looking for General's.

If your stuck on a certain tire then all you can do is shop around to get the best deal. If I were buying right now the $70 Mich/BFG rebate would be very attractive. IIRC it ends tomorrow.

I just spent over $1000 on a set of goodyear assurance tripletreads for the wifes car with alignment. Even buying from the tirerack would not have saved me a sufficient enough amount to have bothered to order from them.

Michelin hydro edge for my car are less then half as much, size matters.

I know this is outside the norm, but last Wednesday I bought new tires for my F250. I bought Toyo Open Country ATs in 325/60R20, 4 tires OTD $2199.54...ouch. I know they are a big tire, but that hurt.

Originally Posted By: saaber1
Just buy Nexen. Excellent tires performance wise and last a log time. Highest end tires only about $80 ea for 18 inch.

+ one for Nexen Tires. Just bought a set of 235-60-16 Nexen Tires for the wife's SUV. $338.00 out the door.

Have used their tires in the past and am well pleased with them. When we need tires they are high on the list.

I've been very pleased with the Sumitomo tires I put on my 300M. The OEM Goodyears were absolute junk. I replaced those at about 30,000 miles with Coopers, which were better but still not outstanding. The Sumitomos, while about the same price as the Coopers, are in a whole different league as far as noise, ride, handling, and smoothness.

su_htr_h4_ci2_l.jpg

I feel existing tire lines are following the "thunderbird principle" where a familiar brand/model "grows" and gets more expensive. Witness the Michelin MXV4+ Energy, a name that grew with the now very expensive tire.

One needs to be on the lookout for the up-and-comers. I've run several Kumhos, am intrigued by the Nexens, and my brother in law got Fuzions on his new used car.

This includes brick and mortar dealers who seem stuck in a rut with the same old brands. Coworker saved a day's pay ordering Yokos from tire rack over these "Dean" generics his mechanic recommended.

OEM tires are ridiculous.

Agreed, you need to know how to shop the deals. And not be hung up on a particular brand. Also, be open to changing sizes a little bit. If there's a slightly wider/narrower tire that fits, you can save hundreds over the OEM size.

Who makes Nexens, and where are they made?

I bought some Hankooks inexpensively that seem to be fine.
I've had good experience with Falken tires, too. They're usually on the less-expensive side.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
+1 FOR KUHMO. My local Sears store has them in their computer and you need to ask. They typically don't advertise them at Sears.

when i worked at sears we didnt push Kumhos at all, our commission rate was lower on them so we made less.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
My favorite low cost, high quality tire is Kuhmo

I would think you would spell the name of your favorite correctly. Kumho.
grin2.gif
Just giving you a hard time. No harm meant. It just found it a little funny.
11.gif

Yep tires are expensive and most people fail to save up for them even though they are a known future expense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back