tiny bit of water in motor, easily burned off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Mazda 6

Just did an oil change and while I had the plastic cover off the motor, I sprayed the engine bay off since it had a lot of sand/dirt, (which I do with all my carS) didn't spray any connections directly, just short burst in the areas which has the build up of dirt. once done, wipe it dry and put the cover back on. Never had any issues with this with any car in the past.

What I found odd was once everything was buttoned up, I did a final check on my oil level since the car was sitting while I cleaned it up, went to add a touch more oil and under the filler cap I noticed a bit of water around the lip and what seemed to be under it? which is really odd, inside the filler hole I could see a drip of water which most likely came off the filler cap as I removed it and water dripped from the bottom side. I simply touched the cam with a towel and removed it. I highly doubt much of any water got in but it does seem like a tiny bit got in. oil level didn't change so that's a good sign lol.

Over all I'm not worried about it but it got me thinking, I know condensation builds up inside the motor and that gets burned off when the engine gets up to normal temps. I'm assuming minor amounts of water would do the same, as long as the oil doesn't turn brown or clearly show signs of water being in it, which in my case it doesn't.

Anyone have thoughts on it? Figured It couldn't hurt to ask here.

P.S the water under the cap could have very well been brand new 0w20 oil since it's friggin hard to tell the difference since its almost clear form being new and about the viscosity of water. The fact it was under the cap makes no sense to me making be believe it was oil. but clearly water from around the bottom edge of the cap did drip in the motor but very minor amounts.

Cliff notes, minor drops of water in oil from the filler cap, easily boiled/evaporated off?

I did the same thing on the Uplander recently. Sprayed of the engine bay, then peaked down the fill hole to see how things were looking and a saw drops of water sitting in the oil. I hope no damage was done.

212 is the boiling point. My guess is at some point it just evaporates and works its way out as steam.

Originally Posted By: jeffie7
212 is the boiling point. My guess is at some point it just evaporates and works its way out as steam.

And I would agree but water doesn't burn, steam isn't smoke...

Down here in the Humidity a surprising amount of water can condense in any engine overnight as it's parked.

Doesn't even cause a hiccup. And you don't need 212 degrees to evaporate water, oil typically gets plenty hot to do the job. It's more about DURATION than peak temp...

The water will easily evaporate, just take the vehicle out for a drive and get it up to operating temperature for 20 minutes or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back