Tinting Windows

Tint is a must in Miami. I matched up the front tint to the tint it came with in the rear from the factory so it is 20% all around. Plus I have tint on top of windshield which comes just below the ASE line.

I wouldn't be without it. Privacy, helps the A/C cool the interior, & staves off sun fade (when combined with a sunshade used in the windshield). I've had my cars tinted since 1990, and I feel like I'm riding around in a fish bowl when I don't have it. Have never had a visibility issue. If I am in a dark garage, the backup cam helps.

I see cars quite often that are tinted so dark you cant see through it at all. How do people legally get away with doing that?

I once enjoyed my window tinting till a couple of Cleveland police officers stopped me, measured the tinting and wrote me a ticket! My tinting was nothing near as dark as what is used by others. I could read a newspaper through it. I had to heat it, scrape the windows clean and trashing my rear window defogger in the process. I had to take before and after pics, appear in court and show the judge that I removed the tinting to avoid a pricey fine if I kept it. I also lost a half days work to appear in court. It was an old car and was not going to pay the fine. That was a few years ago. Now, I would fight the charges since I have nothing better to do and take up those officer's time to appear in court too. . Watch out if you drive in Cleveland.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I see cars quite often that are tinted so dark you cant see through it at all. How do people legally get away with doing that?

You just take your chances. I've been pulled over a handful of times and even though they metered it and it was too dark, I was let go with a warning. Most of the time it is just used as PC for a stop. If your car doesn't smell like weed, or you don't have a meth pipe laying in the seat, usually you're on your way with a warning.

Originally Posted by Zebra312
In 16 years of law enforcement....I have never once stopped a car, or written a warning or citation for window tint...or exhaust.

I think I've seen our county guys do it maybe once in the 6 years I've been here, usually, you've got to be doing something else dumb to get that tacked on.

In 16 years of law enforcement....I have never once stopped a car, or written a warning or citation for window tint...or exhaust.

That does not apply for California PD.

In South Florida it is extremely rare I hear someone got stopped for dark tint.

Bravo !

Not all states have safety inspections.

For example, Colorado had only emissions inspections. And those only in the six county Denver Metro area.

So, while a cop might enforce the tint rules (if there were any), there was no inspection that even considered it...

How does your car pass inspection with tint that's too dark?

Lol, what's an inspection? Just kidding, Georgia doesn't have them, other than emissions in some metro area counties.

If our state inspection didn't check window tint,I'd limo mine all the way around.

The 300 had limo tint on it when we bought, 1st time driving at night was enough to make me schedule an appointment to get it removed! Though the absolute lack of glare from vehicles behind me was nice
lol.gif

You can't see them, but the people hiding behind really dark tints are simply dorks. It is not a solution to a problem. Visibility from both sides of the glass is paramount. Sunglasses is all you really need, and much cheaper/sensible. And park in the shade, or use a windshield shield.

Back