Time to ditch the Traverse

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really like the Ford Edge. That should tow 2k lbs no problem. You mentioned the Honda Pilot. I love the 2nd gen, up to 2015. At least by looks. Not a fan of the looks of the new model.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
I'd look at a Grand Cherokee if you want some off-road abilities or a Durango if you want a third row. Although overkill towing wise but figured you'd want something the size of the Traverse.

This!

I tow my Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and my son's Honda TRX90 with my V6 Durango. I'm pushing 4500lbs with trailer and cargo. She does just fine. The only problem I've had with the vehicle was a faulty TMPS sensor when I bought her. Dealer swapped it out and I haven't had a problem since. 90k problem free miles.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Originally Posted By: ford46guy
06-10 Explorers with the V8 are very solid vehicles with a serious Tow Capacity. Mostly reliable too, later the better. 09-10 have an F150 trans. Has body on frame and very a safe vehicle with RSC and all.
If I ever replace my explorer that is what I look for.

Not thrilled about the newer explorers. One thing is the carbon monoxide problem.

He's looking to tow 1600 lbs. The V8 explorer is overkill for this, with a 7000+ lb pound tow rating. The '06-10's have the F150 transmission behind the V8 only. (yes, the earlier ones are 6R60's, while the later ones are 6R80's, but they are for all practical purposes the same. If you replace the transmission in the 06-08's, you get a 6R80).

I have an'07 Explorer with the V8, and if I had to do it over again, I'd get the V6 with the tow package. The programming on the transmission isn't great (and I have owned 2 F150's with the same transmission, so I know it can be much better). The V8 drinks gas like it is going out of style, particularly in city and cold driving. My wife, who drives ours mainly, and drives like grandma on Sundays averages worse fuel mileage that my previous 5.4 equipped F150 of the same era... The '08 explorer with the V6 did much better at work fuel mileage wise, even in fleet usage. And honestly, felt every bit as powerful as our V8 equipped Explorer with less HP and Torque...

The V8 has issues with the exhaust manifolds and studs breaking. If it sounds loud at a cold startup, and quiets down within a few minutes, that is a $1200 repair per side... The radiators are prone to leaking, and the wheel bearings are basically disposable around 80,000 miles... The rears are a real treat...

Our '07 Rides decent, and gets decent fuel mileage in highway only driving, but any city driving and cold weather just kills that. And we've spent more on repairs (even with me doing a lot of the work) on ours than any other late model vehicle (going back to 1997) than any other vehicle we've owned. I would not be recommending the '06-10 Explorer - the current models are much nicer, and more than capable of towing what the OP needs.

Thanks for this info. I know the V6 and the trans behind them will never be perfect though. Got better in 06, but still the same 5RXX design with the bands. The timing system on the v6 is a wear item and requires the engine to be pulled to repair. The 02-05 V8s had the crown vic engine, but a pathetic transmission.

I heard about the exhaust manifold issue, didn't think it was so expensive to repair though. I did test drive a v8 and I hate to say it didn't feel THAT much powerful from a takeoff as the 96 I have. High speed passing may be another story.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I really like the Ford Edge. That should tow 2k lbs no problem. You mentioned the Honda Pilot. I love the 2nd gen, up to 2015. At least by looks. Not a fan of the looks of the new model.

I like it too; unfortunately, it is not clear the PTU has been addressed; it seems 'everyones' eventually burns up from not enough lubricant for the load it moves.
This happened to a guy @ work, and tons of other people too.

Best not to replace one disappointment with another... lol Maybe the FWD one only?

Last edited:
It'd be a CDIH before I took a Grand or Durango off road before they were at least paid off, or 5-6 years old. Parts for those ain't cheap, and the resale value drops plenty fast enough without brush damage on them. If you're looking to go offroading, get two vehicles- a turn of the century Cherokee with the 4.0, and whatever you want to drive on-road.

Thanks all for the input, I appreciate it. Had not heard of the CO problem in Explorers, good to know. Looks like I have a wide variety of low mileage used vehicles nearby that would fit my needs and my budget. Stinks that the timing chain code pretty much nailed the coffin lid shut on this one. Not worth the expense and lots of potential new problems since it's a major amount of disassembly.

Originally Posted By: Mantooth
I'd look at a Grand Cherokee if you want some off-road abilities or a Durango if you want a third row. Although overkill towing wise but figured you'd want something the size of the Traverse.

This!

I tow my Honda Pioneer 1000-5 and my son's Honda TRX90 with my V6 Durango. I'm pushing 4500lbs with trailer and cargo. She does just fine. The only problem I've had with the vehicle was a faulty TMPS sensor when I bought her. Dealer swapped it out and I haven't had a problem since. 90k problem free miles.

This. Grand Cherokee or Durango with Pentastar should easily fit the bill. If you want more jam, get the 5.7L, you won't be wanting for power. The 8spd is excellent, as is the AWD.

Argh... Despite being recently repaired after a fender bender, a nagging evap leak code was going to necessitate a trip to the dealer to drop the gas tank and find the leak. Last night the check engine light came on again, but now it's the dreaded P0008 camshaft position error code. The one that means the notorious 3.6 V6 timing chains are worn despite religious oil changes, and the entire front frame has to be dropped to get the engine out for that job. It's about a $3000 job at the dealer, and there's still an evap leak that would need to be fixed. No way am I spending that much to fix this 170,000 mile vehicle. I'd be lucky to get that much for it on a trade.

what engine did chevu use "before"

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Silverado12
+1 on anything with the Chrysler V-6 Pentastar. Early ones (I think 2011-2012) had issues w/heads cracking (I think) but was fixed by 2013.
I think 2013 still had a little bit of cracking heads, and 2014 was the first year in the clear. Good motor though as far as power.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

So, thinking about used Explorers or Pilots, Maybe an Outback or Forester. Need something that can tow a 1600 pound camper, although I used to tow it with a CR-V. Don't think I want another Traverse/Acadia/Outlook/Enclave with the number of repairs I've had with this one. Don't want a pickup truck, I like being able to carry passengers and cargo. Haven't kept up with minivans much, do they have decent towing capacity?

I'd skip the Chrysler recommendations - you're coming from an unreliable vehicle and you don't want to go into the least reliable brands on the road, especially if buying used.

The good news is that nearly anything in the mid to large size SUV segment will tow 1600 LBS. Friends have Subarus and like them - one tows with it and he seems to like it - it's a couple years old and has held up well.

IIRC Ford solved the fume problem in the Explorer by 2013 and there is a retrofit that seems to work well so if you like that, it's still an option. If you like the styling, the Flex is also a solid option. Drivetrains on both are reliable. The Escape, IIRC will tow 3k lbs as well.

The Santa Fe is quite nice and available in multiple configurations. IIRC the 10/100 warranty is transferable now.

There's the old Toyota Highlander and RAV4.

Mazda CX6/9.

There's plenty new and used in this segment.

That's weird, most of the people on here seem to enjoy their newer Chrysler, especially the ones that chimed in here to recommend them based on their own experience. How many do you own now?

Last edited:
That's weird, most of the people on here seem to enjoy their newer Chrysler, especially the ones that chimed in here to recommend them based on their own experience. How many do you own now?

None. And never will. Rather than listen to a few random people on the Internet it's better to look at the reliability statistics from a large sample of owners. And of course use multiple sources. When they all say about the same things you tend to think there is something to it. It's great that you guys have great experiences but that's not necessarily the norm. If someone is going from a money pit to something else, they would be better served looking at something with at least average reliability.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08

So, thinking about used Explorers or Pilots, Maybe an Outback or Forester. Need something that can tow a 1600 pound camper, although I used to tow it with a CR-V. Don't think I want another Traverse/Acadia/Outlook/Enclave with the number of repairs I've had with this one. Don't want a pickup truck, I like being able to carry passengers and cargo. Haven't kept up with minivans much, do they have decent towing capacity?

I'd skip the Chrysler recommendations - you're coming from an unreliable vehicle and you don't want to go into the least reliable brands on the road, especially if buying used.

The good news is that nearly anything in the mid to large size SUV segment will tow 1600 LBS. Friends have Subarus and like them - one tows with it and he seems to like it - it's a couple years old and has held up well.

IIRC Ford solved the fume problem in the Explorer by 2013 and there is a retrofit that seems to work well so if you like that, it's still an option. If you like the styling, the Flex is also a solid option. Drivetrains on both are reliable. The Escape, IIRC will tow 3k lbs as well.

The Santa Fe is quite nice and available in multiple configurations. IIRC the 10/100 warranty is transferable now.

Mazda CX6/9.

Oh look, right on time
Pointing-to-Watch-Guy-300x192.jpg

None. And never will. Rather than listen to a few random people on the Internet it's better to look at the reliability statistics from a large sample of owners. And of course use multiple sources. When they all say about the same things you tend to think there is something to it. It's great that you guys have great experiences but that's not necessarily the norm. If someone is going from a money pit to something else, they would be better served looking at something with at least average reliability.

My Jeep has been fine, no complaints. Add that to the statistics. So far I think all the people in this thread that actually own one are satisfied with their Chrysler.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

Mazda CX6/9.

Oh look, right on time
Pointing-to-Watch-Guy-300x192.jpg

Every Chrysler and Dell thread.

Not sure if it fits the budget in your market but the 2015-2017 Ford Expedition. You get the 3.5 Eco boost, lots of space, very low price due to the new body style. Around 30k give or take. Plenty of capacity to do whatever you want today and down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back