Thoughts on this tow behind open trailer- theft recovery

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Last year when I was transferred from South Carolina to Washington state, I sold my Sure Trac steel decked car hauler in South Carolina, as I was unable to justify transporting the trailer cross country. Steel decked trailers have not only become harder to come across, they continue to rise in value.

Came across the recovered stolen trailer in Fresno that goes to auction in a week. I am unable to preview the trailer as I will be working in Texas next week. Seeing if the master minds on BITOG might take a look and share their observations/ thoughts. Thanks in advance.

37251661_1_I.jpeg
37251661_2_I.jpeg
37251661_3_I.jpeg
37251661_4_I.jpeg
37251661_5_I.jpeg
37251661_6_I.jpeg
37251661_7_I.jpeg
37251661_8_I.jpeg
37251661_9_I.jpeg
37251661_10_I.jpeg

5 lug axles. With a steel deck the weight eats up a lot of the available capacity.
That is a huge catch..I didn't know the axle/weight capacity. That is usually included as part of the auction pictures.

At five lugs, I suspect the axles are 3500lbs, not 5k axles.

Thanks so much for catching this!

Maybe just the way i am seeing the photos but the tires and rims look cleaner and newer than the trailer possible axle swap ? or just new tires and rims ?

Maybe just the way i am seeing the photos but the tires and rims look cleaner and newer than the trailer possible axle swap ? or just new tires and rims ?
Interesting comment. Some of the pictures, if one goes to the auction website and enlarges tp HD view, shows what appears to be a lug stud resting on the trailer deck.

A few other things I noticed. I prefer a full frame under the deck, it's hard to tell what is under it with the tongue welded to the front of the deck. It's pretty heavy with the D-rings all around. I wonder if it has ramps with it. It looks like the ramps would go under the very front of the deck. Most ramps go in back because of the frame rails extending, or as part of the tongue assembly.

Update, this trailer goes to auction today. I was outbid at $3200. At $3200, that is about $4,000 out the auction yard.

I suspect this trailer will sell at auction later this morning between $4200 and $5300. Which means out the auction house cost if $5100 to $6100. All for a used, recovered stolen trailer that one has zero history on its use (or abuse).

Unlike certain other vehicle auctions, one has to have a dealer license or pay a broker to bid on this trailer. This really limits retail budders.

This should give an idea how hard it is to buy a single vehicle open trailerright now. I suspect this trailer would have sold at auction in 2019 for about $1600, before auction fees.

Back