Used tow behind trailer prices still fascinating.

At the end of the day we all want to be safe…
Sort of-plenty of posts on this forum from guys looking to figure out how to bypass the safety systems that come with vehicle these days. One guy on here bought a new car for his wife-and then turned all the safety systems/driver assist off. Yea really.....

Looking for a couple used trailers, from enclosed to a open car hauler to a open gooseneck. I am still amazed at the prices of used trailers.

Here is a example from today. This trailer caught my interest as it is just 15 miles from me.

State Farm is the owner, and has a buy it now price of $2300, which is about $3200 out the auction house door. Being it is a state of Washington bill of sale, budget at least $500 to get a title, plus six months or more to get an appointment for the inspection to get the title. So, this trailer is $3700 before repairs, and transport.

This information is useless without a reference to what a new one would cost.

I don't think so for multiple reasons. I guestimate the trailers at TSC are built from the very cheapest Chinese parts. The fabricating of a trailer frame with axles to an enclosed trailer is a whole lot of work, and prices of parts needed bought at retail are big. The trailer manufactures buy these parts in bulk and run an assembly line, at a significant cost savings.

Not so many years ago 80 percent +/- likely had Dexter name brand axles. I suspect today most of the newly manufactured trailers have Chinese axles.
bought my trailer at TSC in 2020 - still Dexter then but I have no reason to check now …
changed wheels/tires right away and put the tiny things at the curb

bought my trailer at TSC in 2020 - still Dexter then but I have no reason to check now …
changed wheels/tires right away and put the tiny things at the curb
@4WD Thanks for posting TSC trailers have come with Dexter axles. I was speculating they didn't- I was wrong.

Reactions: 4WD
Has anybody ever seen a weight distribution hitch, in use? I understand in theory, that they put some load back onto the front axle of the tow vehicle, and also put some weight onto the trailer axles, but I have never seen one on any trailer. And I've seen some pretty big trailers being towed....

Everytime I camp. Tons of people use them. I have the Equalizer E2 for the travel trailer. It is WD and sway control. The subvets trailer does not need it.

Anything from eight foot to 20 foot.

I could use another enclosed trailer, but priority now is more on a car hauler or a flatbed gooseneck.

Long way away, but cheaper than a wreck.

How do these prices compare to what you’re seeing?

Long way away, but cheaper than a wreck.

How do these prices compare to what you’re seeing?
The first two trailers are not a match for what I am looking for. The third trailer, single axle at $4150 all I can say is wow that seems high for Kentucky. Maybe I am living in the past, that trailer in my mind is about a $1200 trailer.

Back