Thoughts on 3.5 Ecoboost that pulls

Looks like youre on the way to solving some of the issues:

I will take a turbo V6 over NA V8 when working at altitude anyday!

I like the 60%wated 40%EG blend....I tend to run 5-15% more water to improve btu exchange. Skip the Redline wateretter and try koolit

I dont care for colder thermostats but could be considered...otherwise, I replace every 5 years with OE or equivalent.

Needs a catless turbo back exhaust or least a catback. Get the heat out after turbo extracted some work from it.

One of the few 'worked' trucks around!!!!!

You read my mind about the downpipes and exhaust. Although, i might go catted because I really don't wanna smell it and getting the CEL turned off is nearly impossible these days. The tuning companies wont do it. There is also the AMS turbo adapters which replace the outlet of the turbine housing where the downpipes attach. Supposedly those make a decent difference.

I bought the Mishimoto because its 10mm thicker than the Full-race radiator. I know of a few people who have the Full-race and basically said it slows down the overheating but they still end up getting hot. I don't really know anyone with an 2011-2014 Ecoboost who has tried the Mishimoto.

Why Koolit vs Water Wetter?

This is the setup btw. The trailer is 24’ tongue to bumper and 5500 lb gvwr, so its not all that big. The truck is technically rated for a 17100 lb combined rating and i suspect i am ~13000 lbs. The F150 itself has an empty weight(not including me or the bed topper) of 6140 lbs on a Cat Scale, so its very heavy for a half ton.

5F1BB81F-FFF8-4517-AB9B-D5B135DAA893.jpeg

Long time waterwetter user... got tired of the poly globs that show up. Also, when running more water, you'll need some corrosion protections...

Attachments

• KOOLIT_comparison_sheet-page-001.jpg
    KOOLIT_comparison_sheet-page-001.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 43
I almost bought same generation f150 with ecoboost ( still kinda hard to over come the mentality that truck need a v8 , but after so many night reading and watching video , I start to really interest on the ecoboost . )

anyway after reading and watching so many YouTube video . I found that best oil for that eco boost is all you need is SN+ full synthetic engine oil . A 5w30 penzoil ultra with motorcraft FL500s is good combo

Have you tried premium fuel when running with the trailer, headwinds etc.?
I'm thinking regular would need more fuel and retarded timing, so more heat.
Premium would allow advanced timing, and less fuel.
The extra power from the timing could give you 4th at 70mph vs 3rd in same conditions.

Look at these commend . Suggest and more down time with the truck . It’s a daily and it’s not a project . I say stick with what you using and keep on towing .

Look at these commend . Suggest and more down time with the truck . It’s a daily and it’s not a project . I say stick with what you using and keep on towing .
You could always slow down, too. That would make a huge difference in heat, especially with a stout headwind.

Last edited:
I almost bought same generation f150 with ecoboost ( still kinda hard to over come the mentality that truck need a v8 , but after so many night reading and watching video , I start to really interest on the ecoboost . )

anyway after reading and watching so many YouTube video . I found that best oil for that eco boost is all you need is SN+ full synthetic engine oil . A 5w30 penzoil ultra with motorcraft FL500s is good combo
This was my first truck. I bought it at 26 years old so I had not had previous experience to push me in one direction or another. I knew that turbos help at elevation(up to a point) and that caused me to only look at the Ecoboost and Ram Ecodiesel. I never got to test drive a Ram ED because in late 2014, early 2015 they were extremely rare. I am really glad I dodged that bullet though.
Everything I've seen indicates the F150 5.0 V8 gets better real world gas milage vs a 2.7 or 3.5 Ecoboost.

The 5.0 may get slightly better real world mileage towing, but it gets absolutely trounced by the 2.7L in day to day driving. Look up the reporting on Fuelly.com, the 2.7 gets a legitamate 2 mpg better than the Ford/GM V8's or the 3.5L. 3mpg better than the hemi, and 4-5 mpg better than the Tundra. It almost matches the NA V6's.

The the hilarious part is the 2.7L will throw down against any of the V8's power wise. Its been extremely reliable. I actually think the Ford 2.7L is the BEST all around half ton motor available.
Have you tried premium fuel when running with the trailer, headwinds etc.?
I'm thinking regular would need more fuel and retarded timing, so more heat.
Premium would allow advanced timing, and less fuel.
The extra power from the timing could give you 4th at 70mph vs 3rd in same conditions.
I run 91 octane, which is the highest I can get here.
The 5.0 isn't anything to write home about reliability wise. Nor is the hemi. Gm might be ok but hear of plenty of issues with the DOD system.

Because I only have 92k miles on the truck with ~12k towing. I don't plan on getting rid of it any time soon so I would prefer it last and not be replacing turbos or timing chain or anything like that.

It gets abused. Im honestly suprised I haven't killed a turbo yet between the elevation and seemingly endless headwinds around here.
I wouldn't say towing a camper with regular oil changes is abuse. More like using the truck towards the max side of it's specs rather than running around empty like most eff one fivers.
I think it looks great with the topper on there. My next truck is going to be set up with a topper.

I wouldn't say towing a camper with regular oil changes is abuse. More like using the truck towards the max side of it's specs rather than running around empty like most eff one fivers.
I think it looks great with the topper on there. My next truck is going to be set up with a topper.

I kinda wish I had gone with the Leer XL with the frameless side window, but I found this XR for a stupid price and in New Hampshire so no sales tax :)

I did bust the rear window, which is frameless, and that thing cost almost half as much as the entire cap did including installation.

Before our son was born we would truck camp. I made a plywood platform that sat on the wheel wells and had two of those $20 home depot foam pads in the back. The pads fit perfect. It worked really well with the topper. Once our son was born though, it was just too much stuff we were trying to cram in the back and thats when we bought the trailer.

Now the topper is great for storing bikes and what not. Keeps them clean and dry and much more secure.

I know what you mean. I was V8 all the way. I would even call my former self an EcoBoost hater. Then I had one pull bus lengths on my 5.3 Chevy and I started to have second thoughts. THEN I rode with a coworker while he was pulling a trailer in one and it didn't even break a sweat. Now I own 2 EcoBoosts, a 2.7 and a 3.5.

What about PP Euro L 5W-30? Its Acea C3.
Good. But, i get picture where you are now. I didn’t know you are oit of warranty and conditions you operate.
Considering your truck has DI/Port injection I would go with fallowing oils, in this order:
1. castrol Edge 0W40
2. Mobil1 0W40
3. Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle

Considering exploitation requirements, I would stick to XW40 oils.
i would not experiment with any coolant additives. Go bigger radiator and since you already installed oil cooler, that should cut it.

Good. But, i get picture where you are now. I didn’t know you are oit of warranty and conditions you operate.
Considering your truck has DI/Port injection I would go with fallowing oils, in this order:
1. castrol Edge 0W40
2. Mobil1 0W40
3. Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle

Considering exploitation requirements, I would stick to XW40 oils.
i would not experiment with any coolant additives. Go bigger radiator and since you already installed oil cooler, that should cut it.

mine is not dual injection because its a 2014, just DI, but I do have a catch can and scoped my valves a few days ago and they are pretty clean:

35A54880-68EC-4732-939C-275AA0F37E24.jpeg

I guess I’d be putting a big Derale supplemental oil cooler on before I did anything. I’d also be changing my trans fluid frequently...

But in all reality if I was pulling 5k non-stop I’d be looking at an F250 with the 6.2 gasser. Cooling issues solved and staying solved.

I guess I’d be putting a big Derale supplemental oil cooler on before I did anything. I’d also be changing my trans fluid frequently...

But in all reality if I was pulling 5k non-stop I’d be looking at an F250 with the 6.2 gasser. Cooling issues solved and staying solved.
I do have an oil cooler. A setrab unit with a 205F thermostat. Trans fluid has been changed.

One good thing about an aftermarket engine tune is that they reprogram the transmission to lockup the torque converter. The trans stays cooler and the fluid gets worked much less with the aftermarket tune. I was surprised how clean and red the fluid was after 75k miles.

Have a hair under 93K miles on my 2015 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost...Been using QSUD for the past 25K with OCI every 5K...For $hits and giggles I'm gonna try the PP High Mileage...I baby my QB, and don't tow anything (other than my wife, kids, and my fat a$$)...I should send in an oil sample to see what's cookin'.

Back