This is not reassuring. Unapproved-jet-engine-parts

Ya I read about that yesterday. The London based outfit who's allegedly responsible for the forged safety documents appears to be some sort of work from home 1-guy operation. I'm amazed something like this could happen.

It seems that all of the news articles are hush hush about which planes or engines have the unapproved parts but when they list all of the major carriers plus Southwest it sort of narrows it down to the CFM International CFM56 engines.

AOG Technics is listed as the company responsible and they list having only one director and share holder - Jose Zamora Yrala. AOG Technics was appointed in 2015 and is worth about 1.5 million £. This guy is a character and has a couple of other companies to his credit that are either dissolved or simply holding a few thousand pounds to keep the "books" legal.

Hopefully the issue here is nothing more than bad paperwork but if the guy is selling damaged goods or washed life limited parts then he needs to fry.

Counterfeit and unapproved parts have been a problem in aircraft for a while. Florida was a hot spot for that about 20 years ago.

I remember reading Time magazine in the 80s where one article was on counterfeit aircraft parts. It had a photo of a counterfeit part and the box it came in, next to the authentic part. I think it was a Pratt & Whitney part where it came in a box with the United Technologies logo.

I wonder if the parts were madeinchina and shipped to the counterfeiter. There may not be part traceability, but I am fairly sure the counterfeiter did not use a carrier pigeon to communicate his requirements. I'll bet there is an email chain stretching back years.

If I were to try to make a business of selling dodgy engine parts, I'd probably offer parts for the largest engine fleet in the world of commercial operations.
As others have noted, this has happened before and it will happen again.

If I were to try to make a business of selling dodgy engine parts, I'd probably offer parts for the largest engine fleet in the world of commercial operations.
As others have noted, this has happened before and it will happen again.
No selling landing gear that puncture through the top of the wing?

Back