All 9 aboard U.S. Navy plane that overshot runway escape injury, Hawaii official says

First and foremost glad all on board the jet are safe.

Secondly, glad this is essentially a 737 on steroids. Easily replaced. If this was part of the US strategic airlift like a c17 or c5, the aircraft would not be replaceable.

Not that easy to replace - there are structural modifications and changes to the airplane, including torpedo bays (not even Southwest went for the torpedo option on their airplanes) and -900 wings on an -800 fuselage, which means you can’t grab an off the shelf 737 for a replacement.

That said, it is still in production, so they will get another one, but it’s going to take a while…

Still there, but it’s been defueled. Not sure about the plane itself, but they might be trying to salvage the electronics.

960x0.webp

My last post had an inline image that didn't work. Hopefully this gives a better idea. But they will at least attempt to save some of the electronics, although there's a chance that some of it is waterlogged by now and not salvageable.

4QQEKAQ23ZGJ7DLBI6GLJHOYXQ.jpg

My last post had an inline image that didn't work. Hopefully this gives a better idea. But they will at least attempt to save some of the electronics, although there's a chance that some of it is waterlogged by now and not salvageable.

4QQEKAQ23ZGJ7DLBI6GLJHOYXQ.jpg
Will probably depend on where the avionics are located. I'd be dubious about reusing them for flight use by now, but maybe as a training aid for aircrew/ground crew.

looks like there is some damage to the tail behind the elevators and what looks like a tiny MAD probe.

That’s the first time I’ve seen a fixed wing anti-submarine aircraft using dipping sonar………

I hate to hear that.

I haven’t read up on it much.

Is there enough information out yet to speculate on what happened?
Not a lot out there - the USN is investigating. The runway is about 7800 feet long. That’s plenty for a properly flown 737.

It is just off the end of the runway - not far at all. Landed long and/or fast - couldn’t stop. Weather was gusty and cloudy, which means extra speed on final, but not enough to make it unable to stop, unless the pilot landed long or fast, or both.

Not a lot out there - the USN is investigating. The runway is about 7800 feet long. That’s plenty for a properly flown 737.

It is just off the end of the runway - not far at all. Landed long and/or fast - couldn’t stop. Weather was gusty and cloudy, which means extra speed on final, but not enough to make it unable to stop, unless the pilot landed long or fast, or both.
They had to have known they were coming in too hot or too long, I would think?

Shouldnt it have been an easy call to go-around?

They had to have known they were coming in too hot or too long, I would think?

Shouldnt it have been an easy call to go-around?
What seems simple - "easy call to go around" - is actually far more complex.

Here is an "easy call to go around" - they landed about 70 knots fast, and long, on a short runway, without landing flaps selected - and they still landed!
The FAA, and industry, have established criteria for stabilized approach. Parameters that are required to maintain safety margins. When an airplane is outside those parameters, a go-around is required. Easy call, right?

Well...

Industry-wide - the "easy call to go around" - happens about 1% of the time. That's right - 99% of the time, when pilots should go around, based on stabilized approach criteria, they elect to land. The reasons are complex - pressure to be "on time", bias towards a plan, task saturation or fixation, inability to admit that the parameters are beyond limits.

I promise that those psychological factors were present in this event. We won't likely get the USN mishap report, but that pressure to land the first time, even if it looks a bit wrong, is there for every pilot.

Last edited:
Assuming it was pilot error, and let's speculate the right seater was executing the landing, what are the consequences for both the right seater and the captain? If pilot error, does this impact the ability for the pilots to get hired by a civilian airline?

Back