This is going to take forever...

20230713_180652.jpg

In the USAF it is known as CTK; composite tool kit; kits are checked out and in and signed for. Lost tools can "red x" a plane (not eligible for flight) even by an enlisted person of airman basic. Our crew indicated the box we checked out had a missing dogbone and it appeared to be in the pocket of the 2 man of the previous load crew; Two violations there. 1) previous crew incorrectly inventorying tools 2) putting tools in pockets.

In the USAF it is known as CTK; composite tool kit; kits are checked out and in and signed for. Lost tools can "red x" a plane (not eligible for flight) even by an enlisted person of airman basic. Our crew indicated the box we checked out had a missing dogbone and it appeared to be in the pocket of the 2 man of the previous load crew; Two violations there. 1) previous crew incorrectly inventorying tools 2) putting tools in pockets.

Which aircraft did you work on ?

RooflessVW,

Do you have to buy the material or did company provided it to you ?

Which aircraft did you work on ?

RooflessVW,

Do you have to buy the material or did company provided it to you ?
The material was provided.

This company was surprisingly lax on tool control; I'm surprised they haven't had any FOD related accidents and I'm glad that everyone will be held to a common standard.

Management seems to be taking it seriously. There is one mechanic who I'm sure won't meet the standard by the set deadline and I'm interested to see how it is handled.

A-10 in the CTANG from 1987 to 2002

My being 6'3" and the plane being what it is, i worked more under it than on it. j/k
How often did you have to remove the gun for maintenance on the airframe?

It was always a pain to go into the Apache's gun well. Dropping the gun was annoying and then I could never quite get to a comfortable position inside the well. Kneeling was too low, standing was too high, and the carrier drive links were always over-greaded and in your face.

How often did you have to remove the gun for maintenance on the airframe?

It was always a pain to go into the Apache's gun well. Dropping the gun was annoying and then I could never quite get to a comfortable position inside the well. Kneeling was too low, standing was too high, and the carrier drive links were always over-greaded and in your face.

Unfortunately I did not work in the gun shop but on a weapons load crew.

It is an A-10, so the gun is not removed from the airframe, the airframe is removed from the gun. :whistle:

I did a few gun removals, but not enough to be taught "the knack" and yes, it was a pain getting hands up into the gun bay and safety wiring.

Our gun shop chief was altitudinally challenged so perhaps he chose the correct field. No work i ever did on the A-10 was done on my knees, I believe the fuselage and most commonly used bomb racks where between my chest and top of my head; even the wingtip racks could be reached by me assuming a decent fuel load.

Back