Third world brake rotor manufacturing video

At the beginning where they break up a cast iron V8 engine block for the scrap metal with sledge hammers, you think the final product won't be acceptable even in a Yugo. At the end of the video, the rotors look fairly decent. Now you know where Advance and Auto Zone get their brake parts from. :ROFLMAO:

Those definitely aren't hitting Autozone or Napa shelves. More likely that they're going to Azerbaijan or African countries.

from past reading MOST rotors are cast in CHINA even for brand name USA stuff BUT as noted my a benz tech some are better than others!! many high end rotors vary in quality depending on what you pay, even Brembo has lower quality as well as their high end $$$$ stuff!!
Akebono still claims that some of their brake rotors are made in Kentucky and Mexico.

Find those in Autozone and you'd be none the wiser. Who on earth do we think we're kidding, who is so deluded here? You own stuff like it now.

The magic goes on in the pads. There's so much BS given to brake discs/disks/rotors. The coefficient of friction for cast-iron is the coefficient of friction for cast-iron. Stamp Brembo on those and they'll work as well. Why? The coefficient of friction for cast-iron is the coefficient of friction for cast-iron.

Last edited:
At 20:25 why are they tapping the bolt holes?
My guess is they are just rough machined and cleaned up. I didn't see anyone checking thickness or diameters. Not a micrometer or a pair of calipers in sight.

Those holes are undersize and tapped so they can be mounted to a fixture, and finish machined somewhere else. Most likely with programmed CNC machining centers. After finish machining the holes will be drilled out for clearance for the lug studs.

Went to the recycler today with a sundry of old shocks, brake discs, calipers, unwanted cookware, a radiator someone threw out, water pumps, rollers, riding mower batteries, car batteries, other metal chunks, some PC parts, motherboards, power supplies, and one 1ZZ-FE and trans unceremoniously dumped for the big machine to eat it later. Made off with enough cash for a few fillups. Perhaps these chunks will be exported to India.

1690048353179.png

Find those in Autozone and you'd be none the wiser. Who on earth do we think we're kidding, who is so deluded here? You own stuff like it now.

The magic goes on in the pads. There's so much BS given to brake discs/disks/rotors. The coefficient of friction for cast-iron is the coefficient of friction for cast-iron. Stamp Brembo on those and they'll work as well. Why? The coefficient of friction for cast-iron is the coefficient of friction for cast-iron.
Not really. There is different metallurgy, casting and machining that goes into rotors eg high carbon rotors.

I used to shoot pistol matches with a guy who worked at the second largest fire hydrant foundry in the world. He told us 20 years ago it was cheaper to send scrap iron to China to have it melted down and then shipped back to America. His boss flew over to China and noticed that the men wore nothing but underwear and that was it. When asked why they have no safety equipment or shoes the foundry manager said "they wear shoes and clothes they spill metal, I take away their clothes and shoes they spill nothing!". BRUTAL!

Back