Third world brake rotor manufacturing video

Anyone notice the Louisiana tee shirt?
LOVED the kiln "doors".
I noticed no cast-in markings, such as, "Min. thickness" or name or part number.
LOVED the furnace.
What do we suppose the releasing powder (in the cloth bag) is?
I was flinching and covering my eyes during every lathe scene.

Last edited:
I noticed no cast-in markings, such as, "Min. thickness" or name or part number.
They punch those in later, I suspect, and depending on the "name" of the box they end up in, those values may vary.

I only made it about halfway through, so do they machine them as well or was this just the casting process ? You mention a lathe so I guess they do machining too.

no safety glasses and walking around that filthy place with flip flops on
Just finished watching that.... The "pour" process was quite enlightening. I worked for a pump manufacturer and we had a foundry on site that made many of our castings. I didn't work in the foundry but have been there when they do pours. Everything within 30 yards of the pouring stops, a siren signals it will be starting soon, no one is allowed near, etc and the few guys doing the pour are fully suited up in flame-retardant suits, arm-length flame-retardant sleeves, head protection with mirrored visors, etc, etc. Just a little bit different than what these guys do !!

Actually, I was wondering why they didn't have some kind of screw/expansion tool for breaking the engines apart.
It could still be a low tech tool.

They also appeared to mix differing scrap to make their metal.

Yea, the safety measure, or lack thereof, always blows me away when I watch these videos. All the risks people like this take, so that someone like us can buy a cheap price leader rotor, and keep money in our pocket for when the latest iPhone model comes out.

I missed the part where they cast a small ingot, to do metallurgical analysis, before casting the rotors. I did notice that they tossed in some material, other than the scrap metal, so they are making some effort to get the right metallurgical makeup.

reading reveals that ALMOST ALL brake rotors are chinese cast, some better than others + of course final machineing matters. i like + buy UK made rotors that are said to use better iron for a better rotor!!

Back