Thinking of cutting cable and streaming....

I gotta do something. Have Xfinity/comcast for $247- per month! No premium channels, 1 box, 1 room triple play.

Tried YT tv with a Roku. That was clunky and picture not good. But YT has the local news channels in big markets which was a big deal. Bad user interface Ditched that.

Next up, earlier his year tried a firestick, That worked pretty good but I don't have a USB power supply slot that works on the TV or cable box and the stick was doing a job pulling 5V high current off the HDMI and messing up the TV electronics.

I guess I gotta get a smart TV and forget the dongles. We have a new fiber internet competitor - fidium -in town where I can get enough bandwidth to stream HD for under $40/mo. but I am suspicious of their customer support.
Going on social security mext March. Gotta get monthy cost down.

I will be destitute paying megadollar for home heating oil this coming Winter. Speaking of heating oil - there is going to be a disaster in the northeast if oil prices don't come down. $3.39/ gal. was too high, over 6 bucks would be deadly to many.
I've had an Nvidia Shield for the past few years (its been updated since...more powerful and current specs). It's very reliable and only every once and a while I've had to reboot it. I run YT TV and Netflix, well, everything basically, unless I watch local content from the OTA antenna. I've had to do some creative wiring for the 13 yo plasma and Oppo bluray through an aging Yamaha 2095, but it all works! My router is a TP-Link AX73 which is very current. Everything sped up since I went from N to AX wifi. Internet is Cox 250/10.

We cut the cable almost 15 years ago. Bought a Tivo box with lifetime (no monthly fees) and put an antenna on our roof. We get 30+ channels. Great for catching football games, etc. and recording it all to watch at our convenience and skip the ads. The Tivo box has some streaming channels but other streaming services don't support Tivo so we got a Roku too.

The one thing we don't get is cable-only channels (not broadcast over the air). I don't miss them. But some people would. If you do, some of them are available via streaming.

It's ironic that 10 years ago everyone was complaining about cable TV packages, how the cheapest subscription has 50 channels you don't want. Why can't we buy channels a-la-carte, just the ones we want? Now with streaming that wish has been granted, and everyone complains how expensive it is. That's life, be careful what you wish for!

I will be destitute paying megadollar for home heating oil this coming Winter. Speaking of heating oil - there is going to be a disaster in the northeast if oil prices don't come down. $3.39/ gal. was too high, over 6 bucks would be deadly to many.
It's coming down a little, at least under $5/gallon now, average in MA is $4.66 now.

As for streaming, the main problem with most streaming services is that people using them for a month or two and then cancel. Which seems like a fine idea, sign up for one service, watch what you want for a month or two and then cancel and switch to a different one and catch up on everything you want to see then switch again. Or as someone else said, look online and find some sites that have free streaming of various shows, there's many out there.

All smart TV's have a web browser built in so you can watch all the bootleg tv and new movies you would on your computer for free...oh that reminds me I'll have to watch bettercallsaul today lol

Plus all TV's have built-in internet channels...my LG has about 300 internet channels like dedicated poker and billiards channels lol
I haven't seen a built in browser that is worth a crap. Clunky, outdated and slow.

I gotta do something. Have Xfinity/comcast for $247- per month! No premium channels, 1 box, 1 room triple play.

Tried YT tv with a Roku. That was clunky and picture not good. But YT has the local news channels in big markets which was a big deal. Bad user interface Ditched that.

Next up, earlier his year tried a firestick, That worked pretty good but I don't have a USB power supply slot that works on the TV or cable box and the stick was doing a job pulling 5V high current off the HDMI and messing up the TV electronics.

I guess I gotta get a smart TV and forget the dongles. We have a new fiber internet competitor - fidium -in town where I can get enough bandwidth to stream HD for under $40/mo. but I am suspicious of their customer support.
Going on social security mext March. Gotta get monthy cost down.

Get a Roku and use it with your existing TV. Better than the built in smart TV stuff and when it is outdate, you buy a new $40-$100 roku instead of a whole TV.

I use Sling TV (blue), AirTV, and an antenna. Works great, saving almost $100 a month, cause I still have to pay Comcast for internet. Also use Pluto TV, Peacock, Amazon Prime, and others on an Apple TV.
Didn't AirTV used to be just an IPTV aggregate? Now they're selling boxes... and they seem to just be an antenna aggregator? Can't figure it out... website is scant.

Didn't AirTV used to be just an IPTV aggregate? Now they're selling boxes... and they seem to just be an antenna aggregator? Can't figure it out... website is scant.
There’s something else that goes by the name “AirTV IPTV” for what (I think) you’re talking about, but this AirTV-2 I have (here) integrates with the Sling TV channel grid. You hook up the OTA antenna to the AirTV and set up the AirTV so it’s on the same network that your device with the Sling app is on (my AppleTV), and with some type of magic the channels show up on the Sling App. AirTV is owned by Dish Network, which also owns Sling TV. The device makes it more convenient to find your air channels in the same grid as your Sling channels

Last edited:
I currently have At&t internet and Direct TV. Looking to cut costs but still have good entertainment choices.

Thinking of buying my own modem and switching to Xfinity internet for a better/faster connection.

I was thinking of trying Hulu live for my main streaming app.

Thoughts on best modem for reasonable $$ and if Hulu live is any good.
Do you have a smart TV which can install apps? That's the most convenient way.

The way I have it set up is with a Samsung TV with its 200 or so free channels, Tubi, Roku, etc free stuff. Netflix to watch Scandi noir series and YoutubeTV to watch Star Trek broadcast on BBC America and Metal Mayhem on classic MTV (is it worth $65/month, I'm not sure).

On the side I have VPN on my computer to watch ski jumping during winter on German ZDF.

It's not as complicated as it sounds.

Do you have a smart TV which can install apps? That's the most convenient way.

The way I have it set up is with a Samsung TV with its 200 or so free channels, Tubi, Roku, etc free stuff. Netflix to watch Scandi noir series and YoutubeTV to watch Star Trek broadcast on BBC America and Metal Mayhem on classic MTV (is it worth $65/month, I'm not sure).

On the side I have VPN on my computer to watch ski jumping during winter on German ZDF.

It's not as complicated as it sounds.
I have one smart tv and a Roku stick

Reactions: JC1
Get a Roku and use it with your existing TV. Better than the built in smart TV stuff and when it is outdate, you buy a new $40-$100 roku instead of a whole TV.
I had a Roku. Picture was bad with terrible, digital motion artifacts. It was the bigger box and tethered to my router. I didn't want a picture worse than cable which is at my tolerance level for garbage digital.
I liked the firestick product overall, better all around, but it was toasting my TV.'s HDMI board. That's my fault I didn't hook up the outboard power supply. I have no USB ports with power on them and no open 117v outlets. Frankly, I was mad the thing wouldn't run on the HDMI 5V power. I think they added the outboard power supply as a "fix" as they found the firestick chip was too current hungry. Maybe that's why ts called a firestick!

I had a Roku. Picture was bad with terrible, digital motion artifacts. It was the bigger box and tethered to my router. I didn't want a picture worse than cable which is at my tolerance level for garbage digital.
I liked the firestick product overall, better all around, but it was toasting my TV.'s HDMI board. That's my fault I didn't hook up the outboard power supply. I have no USB ports with power on them and no open 117v outlets. Frankly, I was mad the thing wouldn't run on the HDMI 5V power. I think they added the outboard power supply as a "fix" as they found the firestick chip was too current hungry. Maybe that's why ts called a firestick!
That wasn't a Roku problem, unless you had a bad Roku. You must have been underpowered, had network/router issues, or configuration problems. The current models all support 4K. I have 3 Roku Ultra and 1 4K streaming stick and they all work great. You will need USB power for any stick as the HDMI can only supply 300mA if it is even supported.

Android streaming devices are the way to go. Roku and Firestick have a history of blocking apps.
I looked at android boxes a few times. Too many and too many of those random chinese names. And for more than $40 or so I'd just buy a fire stick.

We cut cable 3-4yrs ago. We currently pay $75/mo for spectrum internet. We started with a non-smart TV with a plug in Roku. We now have a smart TV with built in Roku. The layout/menus are great and plenty of free antenna and streaming channels. I try not to get into pay TV services again, but we do have Netflix and disney+, so that's another ~$17/mo

Back