Thinking of a new trans, called some ppl (Long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: turtlevette
Put a quart of Lucas trans fix in and see if that helps. The thickeners may raise the line pressure.

If you're getting that much black stuff on the stick another few suck and fills would help too. How is it going to hurt?

As mentioned a filter change might drastically improve the situation. Go to a friends house and do it.

You really don't want to put over 2k into this junker. How long before inspection fails it for rust?

No way I'd put Lucas in anything.

What inspection, I live in KY?

As far as putting money into it, I don't see many options. I can't afford a car payment and buying another 2k car just raises my car insurance and brings on another maintenance issue most likely. I don't see many cars for 2k that don't need anything.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Put a quart of Lucas trans fix in and see if that helps. The thickeners may raise the line pressure.

If you're getting that much black stuff on the stick another few suck and fills would help too. How is it going to hurt?

As mentioned a filter change might drastically improve the situation. Go to a friends house and do it.

You really don't want to put over 2k into this junker. How long before inspection fails it for rust?

Who are you to call the op's car a junker? It's cheaper to fix it than to spend multiple times MORE on a newer car. The P1811 code is pretty well known as is what causes it and what fixes it.

OP- I checked and the last Jasper 4T65E I sold had a list price of $2100.00. I knocked a bit off of that when I sold it.

So if I wanted to find someone to install Jasper what am I paying total cost? Is it $2100+install?
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
You did see the part where I've already done drain and fills right? It's had over 20 quarts of fresh fluid and code reset still comes back and still does similar stuff.

It usually shifts great when cold, then might slip very lightly when hot and after enough driving it bangs up shifts and downshifts.

Did you check the transmission oil pressure?

No I have not checked the line pressure.

No way I'd put Lucas in anything.

What inspection, I live in KY?

You mention that it shifts fine with cold thick fluid. A thickener may help for when it gets up to operating temp. I've seen several cases of Lucas fixing completely dead trans. My vette wouldn't even go into gear. Yours is still functioning and drivable. It could bang shifts for years even if you do nothing.

Most people wait until their trans dies before ponying up $2500

Who are you to call the op's car a junker?

and just drive it til i junk it.

You guys are upset people are saying change the oil or use additives on an oil site?

It would only be junked if the transmission took a dump and I didn't have the money to replace it. If it doesn't break down near tax refund time i would have a pretty difficult time saving $2500

It's got a few issues with it but it's still in fairly good cosmetic condition except for the rust on the rocker panels.

It needs some suspension work done at least new control arms and some new wheel hubs but other than that it's not so awful. Maybe I should get rid of it?

1zp0i38.jpg

So if I wanted to find someone to install Jasper what am I paying total cost? Is it $2100+install?

Correct.

You guys are upset people are saying change the oil or use additives on an oil site?

No, you're being awful presumptuous about the O/P's motives, his car and it's condition.

Correct.

And how much does your typical labor run on a job like this? Or rather do you know how much a shop who installs these would charge? I am guessing i will get the full price hammer if i go that route.

This is the first hit on google for Jasper and Northern KY

http://www.carrollsautoservice.net/Burlington-transmission-repair.html

Likely. MOTOR shows 8.8hrs to R&R, but I think that's being pretty generous.

If you're interested, you can go to the Jasper website and search for installers. What comes up is only their preferred installers though- the ones that do a certain amount of business with them. We're not a "preferred" installer, but obviously our money is still good with them...

I wonder if there is any advantages to the Jasper verses a good rebuild. The shop I talked to called pro transmission seemed pretty honest and knowledgeable.

Also if anyone cares I am planning on changing the filter this weekend if there is enough time, although I don't expect anything to change without a new pressure control solenoid.

I wonder if there is any advantages to the Jasper verses a good rebuild. The shop I talked to called pro transmission seemed pretty honest and knowledgeable.

Also if anyone cares I am planning on changing the filter this weekend if there is enough time, although I don't expect anything to change without a new pressure control solenoid.

Why is it whenever I hear "Jasper" I always think of wafrederick1? LOL!
grin.gif

I called one of the places close by that's installs Jasper transmissions for a quote he had to call me back and left a voice mail said it's $2795 total price for parts and labor. Obviously includes the Jasper 3 year 100k mile warranty, he mentioned something about a solenoid update but didn't hear exactly what he said.

I called one of the places close by that's installs Jasper transmissions for a quote he had to call me back and left a voice mail said it's $2795 total price for parts and labor. Obviously includes the Jasper 3 year 100k mile warranty, he mentioned something about a solenoid update but didn't hear exactly what he said.

Actually on that tranny transmission, there's about two pages of updates.

Just remember that I am biased. I fully admit I'm a Jasper fanboy. I do believe they're one of, if not the best on the mass market, but I also realize there are other good companies. Go with whichever shop says the right things and gives you the best price.

I just really don't want to put that much money in this car but I don't have many options.

1. start saving today for whatever-- repair or replacement

2. change the filter with drain/fill, see if it helps.

3. add a partial dose of lucas and see if it helps any.

4. keep saving even if it improves and seems ok!

between 2&3 you could be good for a few years before you actually have a failure. In the meantime you are preparing yourself for risk of failure.

Originally Posted By: meep

3. add a partial dose of lucas and see if it helps any.

He's already admonished me about that. His car is too good for anything Lucas.

We've got to understand it's a BITOG pride kind of thing even if he needs to drop 2K to prove it.

It's nothing to do with pride lol, I just don't believe anything should go in there besides a proper fluid.

I just got two gallons of Maxlife dex merc to go with a Dorman pan that's got a drain plug plus a new Wix filter.

I don't believe it's going to solve anything but it needs it anyways. There's no fluid that's going to cure a bad pressure control solenoid.

It's nothing to do with pride lol, I just don't believe anything should go in there besides a proper fluid.

And your belief is so strong that you'd rather spend $2500 that you don't have than even try.

I know of 3 cases where Lucas fixed poorly or non shifting transmissions and kept them going for years.

I'm not against trying a thicker fluid if I can actually check line pressure but If I was going to do that I would use Redline high temp atf dex/merc which is a 10 cSt @100ºC fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back