Thinking about Next Vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to love the fast depreciation on the Lincolns (#7 on that list). I got my current Lincoln at the 7 year old point with 22K miles at 23% of MSRP (78% depreciation). It wasn't that far removed from being new.

I looked into what my next car might be this past week and was quite disappointed with what I found. There was nothing comparable to what I had bought last time around. Prices were considerably higher for cars with medium mileage. It didn't seem like there was much of anything in a full sized/big trunk car in the $6K-$9K range. What I had bought for $9K back in 2009 looks to be a $12K+ car today. And yet, the dealers are proclaiming a glut of used cars that will only continue to grow. I'm going to push on for another few years in my current car. It will qualify for state "antique" plates in only 4 years....lol.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If you can find a V6, an Avenger is practically given away.

Yeah, there's an IRRATIONAL reason for that...

Fixed it, thanks.

You wanna buy a POS Dodge be my guest.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Starman2112
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
If you can find a V6, an Avenger is practically given away.

Yeah, there's a reason for that...

It might not be your Uncle's red Barchetta, but it's still a good car.

Nice Rush reference. But disagree about it being a good car.

Originally Posted By: maximus
I bought the Sonata new. It's been somewhat of a disappointment. I absolutely hate writing a big check every month and I can't afford to pay cash all up front.

I wasn't considering a Benz or any German car. A Jetta would be too small. A diesel Passat is intriguing, but VW has some issues to work out.

My Dad had has an oil burner 07 Camry with a new engine. I don't believe Toyotas are the indestructible tanks they once were.

If you don't want to write a check for a new car, don't.

Why not try to get a couple of more years out of the Sonata? Its only six years old; I don't consider a car 'getting old' until after 8 years.

If you have had to put repairs into it, why not ride it out a bit longer and try to squeeze some more of your money's worth from it?

I just think this obsession these days that people have about ditching cars too soon is ridiculous. I work in an affluent area of my city, and if I had a dollar for everyone who told me their 4-6 year old car was 'junk' that they have to get rid of, I'd be able to quit working!

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I suggest you test drive used cars and don't buy anything until you've driven everything on your list. If your a worry wart and reliability is your main concern,
you'll pay a higher price for a used vehicle I.E. a Camry which isn't what you want.
+1. Make a list and try them all before you make a choice.

As I'm sure many know I'm a Toyota fan-boy but there's no way I could own a new Camry. Just isn't that comfortable. My Sonata blows the doors off of it in the roominess and comfort department.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
2017_buick_lacrosse_LIFE1_ot_1004161_1280.jpg

2017-buick-lacrosse-essence-sedan-dashboard.png

That interior looks well-appointed but oh GOD so tight and snug inside.

My uncle has a 300 and loves it. It has the 3.6L V6.

My advice is pick something you really like that fits your financial situation, and run with it. All cars have issues whether they be maintenance, cost, comfort, etc. No car is perfect in every way. Research potential issues a car you like may have, and simply prepare for them if they were to happen.

One of my friends bought a 2010 Camry over a car he really wanted because the Camry was supposed to be more reliable. The Camry drinks oil, has needed a new thermostat, new brake calipers, and split a lower radiator hose causing it to need a tow all within 2 years. Now he is disappointed in a vehicle he never really liked to begin with.

My Jeep has never left me stranded, but due to previous owner negligence I spent a decent amount on maintenance the first year I owned it. Didn't bother me though, because I liked driving it so much.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
No Mercedes or Chryslers. A Crown Vic might be a good deal. Toyota Camry?

This would be a GIANT STEP BACKWARDS compared to what he has been driving.

A Crown Vic would be awesome if it wasn't so dated. The newest one is from 2011 and that's still a 1998? Body style, plus 4.6 is too thirsty for me.

I'm totally digging the idea of something with a H.O. V6. The Chrysler Pentastar seems to fit the bill nicely according to my research.

So far the 300 and Taurus are my top contenders. I'm a divorcee(no minivan or SUV to share) with two kids, so space is somewhat important.

That LaCrosse is nice, but I'm not sure I could see myself in a Buick.

Picking up a new 2017 Camry on Tuesday. Sticker is $24,204. Bought for $18,500. The 18's are arriving so dealers are aggressive on '17 pricing. The best thing about that is no one has abused or neglected this car so I look forward to years of trouble free ownership based on my Toyota experience.

Originally Posted By: CKN

But a huge step up in passenger room & comfort and/or total storage space. I like the fact that I can take up 7-9 contractor size trash bags of leaves up to the recycling center with a Crown Vic.

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy
Picking up a new 2017 Camry on Tuesday. Sticker is $24,204. Bought for $18,500. The 18's are arriving so dealers are aggressive on '17 pricing. The best thing about that is no one has abused or neglected this car so I look forward to years of trouble free ownership based on my Toyota experience.

Best of luck to you , :)

Originally Posted By: 69GTX

But a huge step up in passenger room & comfort and/or total storage space. I like the fact that I can take up 7-9 contractor size trash bags of leaves up to the recycling center with a Crown Vic.

There are a lot of nice cars made in the last last several years that are roomy, comfortable-and get amazing gas millage.

Glad you can use your Crown Vic to haul trash-IMHO that's about all they are good for.

Originally Posted By: Aichiguy

Great price and a much better choice than a Crown Vic......

Glad you can use your Crown Vic to haul trash-IMHO that's about all they are good for.

Isn't it about time it was hauled away as garbage? (Line stolen from a Star Trek episode).

Anyway, I like that massive depreciation list, pretty much applies to any luxury car. I'd love to get an S-class Mercedes too, but they're still up there in price even after a 63% drop in 5 years. The same applies to an E class, but they're about half the price of an S class so instead of 40k+, they're more like 20k+ after 5 years.

FWIW I don't see the reason for all the Chrysler hate here. My son has my old 2010 V-6 Challenger and the only problem it ever had was a blend door under the dash (it was an expensive issue, though). That can happen to any new car because they all use electric HVAC controls.

Originally Posted By: maximus

So far the 300 and Taurus are my top contenders. I'm a divorcee(no minivan or SUV to share) with two kids, so space is somewhat important.

Taurus SHO. You get an awesome drivetrain, pretty sporty drive, and should be a decent deal new or used. Added bonus is since the cops use them people get out of your way. Should prove to be more reliable than the 300 too.

Given that we bought a Buick , I would not have turned down a Crown Vic , if in as good ofondition / miles & favorable price .

I have driven big Ford & Chevy cars / trucks in the past .

Commuted in my last Crown Vic (a 1988) on original drive train to 212K miles....a lot of trips to the dump...lol. One of the best cars I've ever owned. And it didn't nickel and dime me for those last 50K-100K miles like my last 200K+ mile car did. The original owner towed with it for its first 50K miles. Trans failed despite religious 25K mile fluid changes. My mechanic of 15 yrs happily bought the car, replaced the transmission and was driving that around for years after that...on lots more trips to his dump....lol. 24 yrs of improvements from 1988-2012...must be more than good for dump runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back