Thin or thick (TGMO 0W-20/M1 0W-40): Final verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Not thick or thin but the right viscosity.

Didn't anyone learn anything from "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"

Engines want what THEY want, not what YOU want them to have
smile.gif

There you go. Oil needs to fit the current bearing clearances, the condition of the timing set and the valve train. Run what works, not some brand loyalty of stuck on some advertised viscosity.

If the coolant leak is truly fixed, I might suggest Delo 400 15W-30 SD (severe duty) and see what results you get. The number will be different. The add pak is different. The reaction with deposits will be different and that will toss off ions that have been trapped behind varnish and stuck in corners.

Most Fe metal comes from cylinder wear, or timing sets coming apart. Can't tell just based on UOA ...

This engine has sliding, not rolling, rocker arms, resulting in more iron wear in the valvetrain than newer engines with rolling rocker arms. I think about half the iron is coming from the camshaft as a result. There is a timing belt, not a timing chain.

As I said, I used HDEO for six years. I am no longer a fan of HDEOs in gasoline engines. First and most, they are too thick for gasoline engines. Second, it's a myth that HDEOs are cleaning oils. Some people believed that because HDEOs contained more dispersants to dissolve soot, it results in more cleaning. However, API SN oils are loaded with dispersants to fight sludge. They are specifically made to clean gasoline engines. Also, I don't think more ZDDP in HDEOs translates to less wear in gasoline engines. Modern PCMOs have excellents AW/EP additives (trinuclear moly etc.) synergistic to ZDDP that greatly enhance the AW/EP performance.

Excerpt from my post that mentions my HDEO use:

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
I will repost the three newest UOAs and post two older UOAs. The 03/24/2013 UOA is TGMO 0W-20 SN and the 6/27/2012 UOA is Pennzoil yellow bottle (PYB) conventional 5W-20 SN. Note that before the Pennzoil 5W-20 SN, I ran 15W-40 HDEO, mostly Mobil Super 1300 15W-40 CJ-4, for about six years. Before that it was 10W-30 conventional, and before that it was 10W-40 conventional.

(See the post in previous page for the UOA images.)

One interesting trend is that the iron decreased after I switched from PYB 5W-20 to TGMO 0W-20 and kept decreasing until it became stable at 12 ppm. However, it jumped again when I switched to M1 0W-40. This doesn't necessarily mean that PYB was a bad oil. As I said, before PYB, I was running 15W-40 HDEO for six years. It could be that HDEO was causing more valvetrain wear because of less oil flow and the effect carried into the OCI with PYB.

Another thing we cannot rule out is that TGMO 0W-20 SN may have the excellent trinuclear moly antiwear/extreme-pressure additive and lots of it (116 ppm), which may be reducing the valvetrain wear, rather than more oil flow reducing the valvetrain wear.

This engine has sliding, not rolling, rocker arms, resulting in more iron wear in the valvetrain than newer engines with rolling rocker arms. I think about half the iron is coming from the camshaft as a result.

How do you come to that value ?

As to cams and sliding, it's known that these areas are most heavily affected by additives, not viscosity...again not aligning with your thin versus thick final verdict.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
This engine has sliding, not rolling, rocker arms, resulting in more iron wear in the valvetrain than newer engines with rolling rocker arms. I think about half the iron is coming from the camshaft as a result.

How do you come to that value?

As to cams and sliding, it's known that these areas are most heavily affected by additives, not viscosity...again not aligning with your thin versus thick final verdict.

More the oil flow, more replenishing supply of additives you get in there, don't you? Also, this would be an area that would be most negatively affected by cold oil, which is way too thick to be a good lubricant, and that's where 0W-20 excels.

More the oil flow, more replenishing supply of additives you get in there, don't you? Also, this would be an area that would be most negatively affected by cold oil, which is way too thick to be a good lubricant, and that's where 0W-20 excels.

Um....no...

The thicker when cold is more likely to be closer to (or BE) hydrodynamic.

The additives don't rely on flow to form the tribofilms.

The tribofilms don't disappear in the few seconds that it takes for oil to get there (in the pumpable range, the variance in time is virtually non existant).

The Industry standard Sequence IVA (cam wear during warm-up) takes place with full volume oil flow, but at a temperature and time that doesn't effectively activate the additives...and has zero viscosity dependence. i.e. the "20s" don't out lubricate the 40s.

So assuming that your posit that half the iron is cam/lifter interface, the conclusion that lower viscosity improves this wear is not supported by evidence.

Um....no...

The thicker when cold is more likely to be closer to (or BE) hydrodynamic.

The additives don't rely on flow to form the tribofilms.

The tribofilms don't disappear in the few seconds that it takes for oil to get there (in the pumpable range, the variance in time is virtually non existant).

The Industry standard Sequence IVA (cam wear during warm-up) takes place with full volume oil flow, but at a temperature and time that doesn't effectively activate the additives...and has zero viscosity dependence. i.e. the "20s" don't out lubricate the 40s.

So assuming that your posit that half the iron is cam/lifter interface, the conclusion that lower viscosity improves this wear is not supported by evidence.

Not that simple. AW/EP/FM/AO films are under equilibrium, constantly being scraped by moving parts while being replenished at the same time. If you don't reach maximum oil immersion, the equilibrium AW/EP/FM/AO film will be thinner.

Cold oil does not lubricate better because the engine is oil-starved due to cold oil flowing too slowly. When they say the most wear happens when the engine is cold, believe it. This is where ultra-high-VI oils like TGMO 0W-20 SN triumph.

Cold oil does not lubricate better because the engine is oil-starved due to cold oil flowing too slowly. When they say the most wear happens when the engine is cold, believe it. This is where ultra-high-VI oils like TGMO 0W-20 SN triumph.

Rubbish...I refer you again the the Industry Standard sequence IVA test...there is absolutely ZERO advantage to the 0W20 viscosity grade in this test, as what you cite as fact is anything but fact...

This test is carried out with full oil flow (immersion if you will), but at a temperature that's not conducive to additive function...it's purposely held there for a long time, at depressed temperatures. We on this board have heard from Oil Formulators who describe the temperature that it is held at a "the perfect storm" for wear...again with FULL oil flow (immersion if you will).

As to your "immersion" theory, it doesn't need to be flooded for additives to activate, and the difference between TGMO and SAE30 at anything above freezing is going to be minuscule.

But, as always, I'm happy to be convinced by facts and data, so if you can come up with something that demonstrates that TGMO type oils "triumph" in start up wear, then please share with us.

Would also like some stuff on "maximum immersion" if you've got it.

When they say the most wear happens when the engine is cold, believe it. This is where ultra-high-VI oils like TGMO 0W-20 SN triumph.

Agree with you most wear happens when engine is cold, majority of which is however corrosion wear according to SAE.
Corrosion wear does NOT corelate with either lower operating viscosity/film thickness or higher VI's.

Oops, miss Shannow's post.

Last edited:
Re sequence IVA...and the premise that
a) 50% of the iron is due to Gokhan's Camshaft/lifters
b) viscosity fixes it...

SAE paper on the development of the Sequence IVA camshaft/warmup test.
http://papers.sae.org/2000-01-1820/

http://oil-additives.evonik.com/sites/li...mulation-EN.pdf
EVONIK on the subject...
Quote:
Valve train scuffing and wear tests (Sequence IV or TU3) are boundary lubrication tests that are relatively insensitive to viscosity but respond positively to the addition of antiwear additives such as ZDDP. Detergents and friction modifiers that compete with ZDDP for metal surfaces sometimes exacerbate wear.

http://www.api.org/~/media/files/certification/engine-oil-diesel/publications/annf-rev-03-2015.pdf?la=en
Is the API "read-across guidelines", for if a given oil package is tested, what other grades can be certificated based on that test.

Table F6 gives the read across for the wear tests...note that not a single oil that passes IVA, the warmup and camshaft wear test can be "read across" for certification to a lower viscosity engine oil grade...(bar the 10W40 and 15W40 used to certify a 10W30)....in all cases, a proven additive package can be used to certify a thicker oil, but not a thinner.

Does the API not understand the benefits of "full immersion" ?

I thought I read somewhere on BITOG that one reason for increased wear during cold starts is that some additives need heat to activate them and start working. True or false?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
I thought I read somewhere on BITOG that one reason for increased wear during cold starts is that some additives need heat to activate them and start working. True or false?

Right, ZDDP doesn't get working until hot and under pressure. Other additives like esters, moly, etc. help out cold.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: PimTac

Right, ZDDP doesn't get working until hot and under pressure. Other additives like esters, moly, etc. help out cold.

Thanks for that explanation.

My two cents:

Common belief: gentle driving 20 wins, rough 40 wins.

the experiments should be 4 sets: gentle/20 rough/20 gentle/40 rough/40.

Try this simple test, which would be as useful as the limited dataset you've posted.
Email Toyota and PM Dr. Haas and Caterham asking whether you should be using a 0W-20 grade oil in your old Corolla.
Care to guess which of the three would respond in the negative?

Really don't think you can make conclusions either way on a old tired engine with coolant loss (sample contamination) and wear number differences that are definitely within the margin of error for your sample size and lab.

Last edited:

Rubbish...I refer you again the the Industry Standard sequence IVA test...there is absolutely ZERO advantage to the 0W20 viscosity grade in this test, as what you cite as fact is anything but fact...

This test is carried out with full oil flow (immersion if you will), but at a temperature that's not conducive to additive function...it's purposely held there for a long time, at depressed temperatures. We on this board have heard from Oil Formulators who describe the temperature that it is held at a "the perfect storm" for wear...again with FULL oil flow (immersion if you will).

As to your "immersion" theory, it doesn't need to be flooded for additives to activate, and the difference between TGMO and SAE30 at anything above freezing is going to be minuscule.

But, as always, I'm happy to be convinced by facts and data, so if you can come up with something that demonstrates that TGMO type oils "triumph" in start up wear, then please share with us.

Would also like some stuff on "maximum immersion" if you've got it.

What does real-life driving have to do with Sequence IVA? The coolant temperature is 50 - 55 °C, which is neither cold nor hot. Moreover, I don't see any data in any case.

Perhaps you should get your own empirical results instead of making speculations based on theory. The whole idea of this thread is about real-life observations, not theoretical speculations.

Re sequence IVA...and the premise that
a) 50% of the iron is due to Gokhan's Camshaft/lifters
b) viscosity fixes it...

SAE paper on the development of the Sequence IVA camshaft/warmup test.
http://papers.sae.org/2000-01-1820/

http://oil-additives.evonik.com/sites/li...mulation-EN.pdf
EVONIK on the subject...
Quote:
Valve train scuffing and wear tests (Sequence IV or TU3) are boundary lubrication tests that are relatively insensitive to viscosity but respond positively to the addition of antiwear additives such as ZDDP. Detergents and friction modifiers that compete with ZDDP for metal surfaces sometimes exacerbate wear.

http://www.api.org/~/media/files/certification/engine-oil-diesel/publications/annf-rev-03-2015.pdf?la=en
Is the API "read-across guidelines", for if a given oil package is tested, what other grades can be certificated based on that test.

Table F6 gives the read across for the wear tests...note that not a single oil that passes IVA, the warmup and camshaft wear test can be "read across" for certification to a lower viscosity engine oil grade...(bar the 10W40 and 15W40 used to certify a 10W30)....in all cases, a proven additive package can be used to certify a thicker oil, but not a thinner.

Does the API not understand the benefits of "full immersion" ?

Again, it boils down to theoretical speculations vs. real-life results. These are just guidelines to uniform oil certification -- they don't mean anything else. Read-across guidelines are based on primitive knowledge on lubrication theory ("thicker oil improves boundary or elastohydrodynamic lubrication"). Development of the IVA test mentions some correlation with field-tests (real life) in extreme cases but it doesn't go beyond that.

Real-life results go beyond very restricted bench testing done at temperatures inapplicable to real life and certainly way beyond theoretical speculations. You should obtain your own empirical results. That's far more interesting to members here than endless theoretical speculations.

For what it's worth, Blackstone Laboratories' take on oil viscosity and wear:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/oil-viscosity.php

Which viscosity to use?

Engine owners often stray from manufacturers' recommendations regarding viscosity of oils. The engine builders dyno-test their engines using a specific viscosity oil, so when you use the viscosity they recommend, you are working with a known result. Going to another viscosity is an experiment, but it's usually a harmless one. For the sake of efficiency you want to run the lightest grade oil in your engine possible, within limits. We are seeing that trend for newer engines, for which the recommended grade is getting progressively lighter. The common 10W/30 has become a 5W/30, and some manufacturers even recommend 5W/20 oil. On the other hand, we can't see (in oil analysis) where it hurts anything to run heavier 10W/30s or even 10W/40s in modern automotive engines. The heavier oils provide more bearing film, and that's important at the lower end. If your oil is too light, the bearing metals can increase. If the oil is too heavy, the upper-end metals can increase. The trick is to find the right viscosity for your particular engine, which is why we suggest following the manufacturer's recommendation.

For what it's worth, Blackstone Laboratories' take on oil viscosity and wear:

... If the oil is too heavy, the upper-end metals can increase. ...
Interesting! Is that statement "down to theoretical speculations" or to "real-life results"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back