Thick oils and VVT systems

I have no idea. Maybe it likes thin, hot oil 🤷🏻‍♂️? The motor has a 6.2 oil pump along with a cam and other stuff but it set the code when it was completely stock as well.
I have seen the code in other 5.7 Eagle engines before. No MIL no problem I try not to over think stuff like this.
Oil press is 32-33 psi idling and 55-60 above 2000rpm @ 200 degrees F oil temp.

The motor has a 6.2 oil pump ...
That could be the reason since the system thinks it has the original oil pump. If that 6.3 oil pump puts out more volume per RPM, then it's going to have more oil pressure, which the monitoring system will think is due to higher viscosity, not higher pump volume.

That could be the reason since the system thinks it has the original oil pump. If that 6.3 oil pump puts out more volume per RPM, then it's going to have more oil pressure, which the monitoring system will think is due to higher viscosity, not higher pump volume.
Yes Hellcat oil pump but same relief pressure. The code was setting occasionally when it was stock (actually when the car was new) but the powertrain engineers from FCA said to ignore it……oil pressure is right where it should be.

My old Camry that had a oil burner 2AZ-FE engine it didn’t matter if I used Providence 15w40(I did) and tons of CarQuest 15w40 (also did) or some 5w30 PCMO oil; never a startup issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Toyota owners manual from a Camry Hybrid with VVT says you can run everything from 0W16 to 15W40

Proof that engines are not designed for a specific oil viscosity. Generally, it's safer to go thicker than it is to go thinner - ie, don't use 0W-8 or 0W-16 if the manual only calls out 5W-20. But if you used 5W-30 or 0W-40 it's safer than using 0W-8 or 0W-16.

Proof that engines are not designed for a specific oil viscosity. Generally, it's safer to go thicker than it is to go thinner - ie, don't use 0W-8 or 0W-16 if the manual only calls out 5W-20. But if you used 5W-30 or 0W-40 it's safer than using 0W-8 or 0W-16.
Yup, using NO VII 5w20 oil without issues. I could dump TOTAL 5w40 in my 2.0 Duratech. My conworker with 300k on his 09’ Focus is still using some Travelller 15w40 I gave him without issues.

Back