They just keep getting bigger!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know some people who live in the boonies on a mtn in WV. Guy is a forest ranger. They installed a line of them near their house and the low freq vibrations and noise drives them crazy. They put them on top of mtn. ranges in WV and they kill a lot of eagles and hawks. Most of the times I see them they are not moving. Either the wind is too low or too high.
The only time I was ever in Mn. was driving thru SW Mn. which was beautiful farm country which was covered with wind turbines. I couldn't believe how many. There were crops around them. I thought they were ugly. Farmers must be making money off of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by PimTac
The amount of land these wind farms take up is huge. I just read of one that is over 44000 acres.

That's correct, they are the most diffuse; have the poorest power density of any form of electricity generation. Also, their output profile tends to be run contrary to demand.

Petition being circulated here now … If they push it through … will donate to Grackle feeder fund …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Petition being circulated here now … If they push it through … will donate to Grackle feeder fund …

We've had a ton of them opposing various installations, current administration cancelled all the pending contracts so we have essentially plateau'd for a bit at our current installed capacity, which should start declining here shortly as the oldest sites are retired.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
The amount of land these wind farms take up is huge. I just read of one that is over 44000 acres.

That's correct, they are the most diffuse; have the poorest power density of any form of electricity generation. Also, their output profile tends to be run contrary to demand.

Not really sure why that would really matter in this application. Power density is important when arrangement is necessary due to affecting other parameters. Because these can be integrated into otherwise wide open spaces, it's not really an issue. At least no more than a landowner being willing to pump oil, frack, etc on their land.

Output contrary to demand is a good point; unlike solar which generates the most when the sun is strongest (and hvac use is highest).

People don't want anything in their backyard, except perhaps solar panels on their roof. A wind turbine in terms of maximum credible safety event is more tolerable than what ifs from other power generation sources.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

Not really sure why that would really matter in this application. Power density is important when arrangement is necessary due to affecting other parameters. Because these can be integrated into otherwise wide open spaces, it's not really an issue. At least no more than a landowner being willing to pump oil, frack, etc on their land.

Output contrary to demand is a good point; unlike solar which generates the most when the sun is strongest (and hvac use is highest).

People don't want anything in their backyard, except perhaps solar panels on their roof. A wind turbine in terms of maximum credible safety event is more tolerable than what ifs from other power generation sources.

It matters due to the transmission build-out requirements and then subsequent maintenance. Being unable to site reasonable volume near consumption also makes transmission an issue.

Originally Posted by 4WD

We've had a ton of them opposing various installations, current administration cancelled all the pending contracts so we have essentially plateau'd for a bit at our current installed capacity, which should start declining here shortly as the oldest sites are retired.

I mean people against a wind farm in our county … The nuke plant is actually approved to add 2 units … but think they only have one toe in the water with all you see in the press these days …

Originally Posted by 4WD
Originally Posted by 4WD

I mean people against a wind farm in our county … The nuke plant is actually approved to add 2 units … but think they only have one toe in the water with all you see in the press these days …

I meant the same. We had a ton of people opposing the siting of the wind farms and the current administration cancelled all the pending contracts for new installs. The oldest sites will start retiring here shortly, given the ~20 year lifespan. First one is going down now actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back