The new Maxlife ATF packaging/label is here

So, when it was previously recommended for CVTs, I bet Valvoline was using an Afton Chemical DI package. They have one that works in step shift automatics and CVTs. This shift in marketing begs the question: did they switch to a different supplier for the MaxLife ATF DI package?

So, when it was previously recommended for CVTs, I bet Valvoline was using an Afton Chemical DI package. They have one that works in step shift automatics and CVTs. This shift in marketing begs the question: did they switch to a different supplier for the MaxLife ATF DI package?

From my understanding the current (post-2021) formulation is the CVT+ATF one. Now, despite the CA labels being changed, they are still using this formulation.

So they did the ATF/CVT formulation for like a year and gave up on it? Perhaps they found an issue and that’s why they relabeled it? The product is the same on some of them you can literally see where they slapped the new label over the old one. So is the future production of Maxlife going to be the old formula again or will it remain CVT-ish without stating it? I wonder if Castrol’s similar ATF/CVT product is going to go away too?
As @Hall said within the first few posts of this thread, per Valvoline, their product data sheet reads the same for their Maxlife ATF as it has for years. Still covers about everything, CVTs included. https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/5ca3517a-e29c-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3

Have you personally seen issues with maxlife.....as in you had issues or did you just read about them.

I have personally used ML in probably 20+ cars now with no issues to report.

Quicker shifts and less magnetic particles when draining are what I notice.
I have in Toyota WS transmissions. And so has another user on here.

been using maxlife for years in many Japanese applications.
i maintain a lot of family and friends cars and have been using it for years
2010 crv every 30k
2004 accord every 30k
2008 honda fit every 30k
2010 corolla every 30k
neighbors 4Runner since 40k miles and he has me do it every 30-40k and currently has over 220k miles.

these honda vehicles i service after using maxlife atf do have less metals on the magnetic drain plugs after intervals.

even years later after i bought my 4Runner i was undecided which fluid to use. after seeing all the great results with maxlife on the other cars that i was servicing and reading more good results, that's what i ended up going with on my own vehicle, my truck and it feels good and shifts are nice and smooth after draining out the factory WS at about 40-45k miles.

Last edited:
I will stick to Honda's CVT2 fluid for my Honda HRV...

Last edited:
been using maxlife for years in many Japanese applications.
i maintain a lot of family and friends cars and have been using it for years
2010 crv every 30k
2004 accord every 30k
2008 honda fit every 30k
2010 corolla every 30k
neighbors 4Runner since 40k miles and he has me do it every 30-40k and currently has over 220k miles.

these honda vehicles i service after using maxlife atf do have less metals on the magnetic drain plugs after intervals.

even years later after i bought my 4Runner i was undecided which fluid to use. after seeing all the great results with maxlife on the other cars that i was servicing and reading more good results, that's what i ended up going with on my own vehicle, my truck and it feels good and shifts are nice and smooth after draining out the factory WS at about 40-45k miles.
The only thing to note here is that some people mentioned that the currently available VML formulation is very different from that in the past. So potentially going forward you may have a different experience?

The only thing to note here is that some people mentioned that the currently available VML formulation is very different from that in the past. So potentially going forward you may have a different experience?
Or stick to OEM Honda fluid and dont worry about it......

The only thing to note here is that some people mentioned that the currently available VML formulation is very different from that in the past......
Not sure who the "some people" are, but I haven't seen a VOA posted of the newer label MLFSMV posted, confirming the "very different" statement. Unless that happens, statement just hearsay imo.

In any case, won't change my long time usage in the Honda ATs I maintain, and still shows as recommended for on the PI sheet.

Last edited:
Back