The new Maxlife ATF packaging/label is here

Interesting… so after Valvoline recalled it a couple months ago for some compliance issue regarding the label.

Finally got a new batch and it’s mysteriously devoid of literally everything! What do we think?

Here’s a pic comparing the old one on the left vs the new one on the right.

Attachments

• IMG_2863.jpeg
    IMG_2863.jpeg
    149.2 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_2864.jpeg
    IMG_2864.jpeg
    157.8 KB · Views: 490
Wow...I guess we'll have to call Valvoline tech line to see if it's still 'recommended for' whatever vehicle you want to use it in. I'm guessing there are lawyers involved here.

And this is exactly why I been saying, stick with offically licensed fluids when possible. Multi-vehicle fluids have their place but they are not a one fluid fits all solution. I have said multiple times I have seen issues in transmissions especially Toyota WS transmissions where multi-vehicle ATF has caused problems and switching back to a officially licensed fluid solves it.

And now look it doesn't even mention Toyota WS anymore, I wonder why.

Some of the fluids these multi-vehicle ATF's claim to be compatible with are not compatible with each other such as Toyota WS and Toyota T-IV but it claimed it works for both, same with Mercon V and Mercon LV.

IME, MaxLife is a good fluid for older applications.

Newer vehicles with more complex transmissions? Bite the bullet and stick with OE fluid.

It concerned me that they didn't have Honda DW-1 on their previous label, even thought it was listed as covered on their website. Now the label is scrubbed of almost everything lol

I’d never buy or use multi vehicle fluids unless it was an emergency. Like when I was looking for Dexron 3 for my old Camry I finally found it and everyone else said just get universal. I was like no way. Had to go to a couple different Walmarts but finally found it because I wasn’t paying parts store price for it either.

IME, MaxLife is a good fluid for older applications.

Newer vehicles with more complex transmission? Bite the bullet and stick with OE fluid.
People won't listen they will find any reason possible to save that $2-5 extra for their every 40-60,000 mile transmission service.

Didn't someone mention that this was a California-related compliance issue ? It would be a nightmare to police, but I wonder what the label looks like in other states ? Problem would be a distributor ships it to CA and Valvoline is responsible at the end of the day.

Their website still lists a whole bunch of applications: https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/maxlife-multi-vehicle-atf/. If this was a national compliance issue, i.e. the FTC, they wouldn't be allowed to say one thing on their website and different things on packaging. The tech sheet, https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/5ca3517a-e29c-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3, does as well and was revised just a month ago.

Didn't someone mention that this was a California-related compliance issue ? It would be a nightmare to police, but I wonder what the label looks like in other states ? Problem would be a distributor ships it to CA and Valvoline is responsible at the end of the day.

Their website still lists a whole bunch of applications: https://www.valvolineglobal.com/en/maxlife-multi-vehicle-atf/. If this was a national compliance issue, i.e. the FTC, they wouldn't be allowed to say one thing on their website and different things on packaging. The tech sheet, https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...2d889bd3/5ca3517a-e29c-e711-9c10-ac162d889bd3, does as well and was revised just a month ago.
Correct. The fluid is still recommended as acceptable for very many applications. I use it in every one I have that’s listed.

And this is exactly why I been saying, stick with offically licensed fluids when possible. Multi-vehicle fluids have their place but they are not a one fluid fits all solution. I have said multiple times I have seen issues in transmissions especially Toyota WS transmissions where multi-vehicle ATF has caused problems and switching back to a officially licensed fluid solves it.

And now look it doesn't even mention Toyota WS anymore, I wonder why.

Some of the fluids these multi-vehicle ATF's claim to be compatible with are not compatible with each other such as Toyota WS and Toyota T-IV but it claimed it works for both, same with Mercon V and Mercon LV.

I tend to agree. ^^^^^^^^^^

I do not think it’s a good idea to have a fluid that is good for CVTs and Dexron VI, and Mercon LV… When a CVt fluid uses a coefficient of traction vs regular atf that utilizes a coefficient of friction.

I just think those two fluid dynamics are just too different to trust a universal fluid that supposedly works perfectly fine in both.

I tend to agree. ^^^^^^^^^^

I do not think it’s a good idea to have a fluid that is good for CVTs and Dexron VI, and Mercon LV… When a CVt fluid uses a coefficient of traction vs regular atf that utilizes a coefficient of friction.

I just think those two fluid dynamics are just too different to trust a universal fluid that supposedly works perfectly fine in both.
I certainly wouldn't run it, seriously think of this if Maxlife is compatible with Dexron VI, Dexron III as well as CVT spec'd fluids just go ahead and dump Dexron VI or III in a Nissan Altima with a CVT let me know how that works out.

If people are smart they will run the correct fluid.

Great. I was debating whether to give my wife a Mercury Montego with 35k miles and a recent drain/fill with Maxlife, or a Toyota Avalon with 50k miles that had a transmission service at Tire Kingdom... also at 35k miles.

May as well flip a coin a few hundred times.

Great. I was debating whether to give my wife a Mercury Montego with 35k miles and a recent drain/fill with Maxlife, or a Toyota Avalon with 50k miles that had a transmission service at Tire Kingdom... also at 35k miles.

May as well flip a coin a few hundred times.
I would not base a purchase on this. Just d&f the Mercury 3xs if it concerns you. Either would be fine

I would not base a purchase on this. Just d&f the Mercury 3xs if it concerns you. Either would be fine
I own a dealership. My wife and son are going to a family reunion and both of these vehicles are in my inventory. I'm leaning towards the Avalon since it has more horsepower to handle the hills.

Reactions: wlk
^^I believe you responded to a different thread.^^

The new Maxlife jug also features a different helpline phone number.
That the old jug included CVT is a true mind blow....from the '60's. ....man.

I certainly wouldn't run it, seriously think of this if Maxlife is compatible with Dexron VI, Dexron III as well as CVT spec'd fluids just go ahead and dump Dexron VI or III in a Nissan Altima with a CVT let me know how that works out.

If people are smart they will run the correct fluid.
Not only that - but I have always found the correct Valvoline fluids at a reasonable price …

Back