The new Maxlife ATF packaging/label is here

Why is it only Dexron II and III?

What happened to this?

Am confused :|
I'm speculating it's got the higher viscosity of these older fluids, which is higher viscosity than Dexron VI. Much like in the engines, the trend has been to low vis for fuel economy.

Interesting, where did you see this product!?

Valvoline appears to be rolling out this product to replace the MaxLife ATF, as the "one size fits all" product for most low viscosity ATFs.

Looks like you can buy it on Amazon -- it is more expensive than the MaxLife ATF

Wow not even dex v1
I better change out my Tahoe and e46 BMW calling for dex v1 right away
😃

I'm speculating it's got the higher viscosity of these older fluids, which is higher viscosity than Dexron VI. Much like in the engines, the trend has been to low vis for fuel economy.
Yes, people need to learn what the different licenses mean. Besides it’s not really DEXRON-II nor -III since neither is the product licensed nor do those licenses even exist.

So they did the ATF/CVT formulation for like a year and gave up on it? Perhaps they found an issue and that’s why they relabeled it? The product is the same on some of them you can literally see where they slapped the new label over the old one. So is the future production of Maxlife going to be the old formula again or will it remain CVT-ish without stating it? I wonder if Castrol’s similar ATF/CVT product is going to go away too?

So this is a CA packaging issue, not a product-has-changed issue, as I understand it.

I'll chalk this up to all their other nonsense like Prop 65, etc ...
There’s a state law about “truth in advertising” that applies to motor oils and ATFs here. It’s to help prevent sub-par products like the many alerts we see on PQIA.

There’s a state law about “truth in advertising” that applies to motor oils and ATFs here. It’s to help prevent sub-par products like the many alerts we see on PQIA.
I thought it had to do with not advertising something 'suitable for' where the new fluid was thicker than the old and would potentially cause more fuel consumption. (Or something like that)

As an example:

1706168779198.png

I thought it had to do with not advertising something 'suitable for' where the new fluid was thicker than the old and would potentially cause more fuel consumption. (Or something like that)

As an example:

View attachment 200148
Yes, it has nothing to do with the quality of the fluid. It is strictly due to the starting viscosity of the ATF.

And even then it's a bit specious considering how ATF viscosity will change in use.

And this is exactly why I been saying, stick with offically licensed fluids when possible. Multi-vehicle fluids have their place but they are not a one fluid fits all solution. I have said multiple times I have seen issues in transmissions especially Toyota WS transmissions where multi-vehicle ATF has caused problems and switching back to a officially licensed fluid solves it.

And now look it doesn't even mention Toyota WS anymore, I wonder why.

Some of the fluids these multi-vehicle ATF's claim to be compatible with are not compatible with each other such as Toyota WS and Toyota T-IV but it claimed it works for both, same with Mercon V and Mercon LV.
Have you personally seen issues with maxlife.....as in you had issues or did you just read about them.

I have personally used ML in probably 20+ cars now with no issues to report.

Quicker shifts and less magnetic particles when draining are what I notice.

I did run it in a 2017 Taurus 6-speed automatic. I think 6Fxx… seemed as if the actual Mercon LV was marginally better. The actual Mercon LV had crisper shifts.

On my two 4L60Es I’ve been pleased with TES-295 and ACDelco Dex VI, don’t think I will venture away.

I do not think it’s a good idea to have a fluid that is good for CVTs and Dexron VI, and Mercon LV… When a CVt fluid uses a coefficient of traction vs regular atf that utilizes a coefficient of friction.
Most CVTs that I'm aware of (and have serviced) use the same type of clutches as most ATs use. The only significant difference is the belt/chain/pulley assy and the add-pack for that is pretty standard. I wouldn't be surprised if CVT fluids could be used directly in most ATs without any issues.

Have you personally seen issues with maxlife.....as in you had issues or did you just read about them.

I have personally used ML in probably 20+ cars now with no issues to report.

Quicker shifts and less magnetic particles when draining are what I notice.

Keep in mind that the current formulation of Maxlife is very different from the old one. That isn't necessarily a good or bad thing, it just invalidates most experiences people have had with the product.

Back