The land of entitlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe every generation complains about the one before it and the one after. Just human nature.

Originally Posted By: Bud
I believe every generation complains about the one before it and the one after. Just human nature.
Very astute observation Bud. We are all uncomfortable with what we don't understand.

Spot on comment.

[/quote]
That's a learned behavior. In my experience those nearing 50 are the most "entitled" and rude. [/quote]
DANG right we are....Now get off my lawn!!!!!!!!!lol

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Aholes come in all ages, and sizes.

Maybe so, but they often also seem to come in SUVs.

That is not generational but age related. Across 3 generations I have seen such behavior in same age group.

18-25 you are adult kids......Eventually most folks get themselves sorted out. I used to be reactive and angry in my 20's to bad drivers. Now I just drive around or above the speed limit and ignore the person flashing and riding my tail because I am not passing fast enough.

Originally Posted By: Powerglide
I feel bad for the poor guy that will marry and divorce her someday.

I feel sorry for their kids.

If it's a fender bender and the vehicle is driveable, get it off to the side of the road ASAP! A few years ago I got rear ended and pushed into another car because some woman decided stopping in the middle of the highway for her flat tire was smart.

I think it's more about each new generation seems to be as a whole a bit worse off than the ones before. Technology and social direction/acceptance has certainly caused some attitude changes in the newer generations.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
It's too bad the word "entitlement" has been corrupted in recent years. Social Security and Medicare are entitlements. You are "entitled" to them because you paid into the system. Nowadays the word tends to be used to denigrate recipients as having done nothing to deserve what they are receiving. Moreover, it tends to be used in a very derogatory manner to indicate that recipients of entitlements are somehow gaming the system.

It would be nice to use a different word for such abuse of the system.

Definition #3 is where the negative connotation stems from in the meaning of the word.

"Belief that one is deserving" ...
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/entitlement

I would have looked her in the eye, told her that I don't bother speaking with poor white trash and turned and walked away.
That would have cut her more deeply in front of her friends than anything else you might have done.
She clearly had it coming.

In another life, I might have simply walked to the front of her vehicle and smashed out her headlights with a hammer, then went back to my business.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
It's too bad the word "entitlement" has been corrupted in recent years. Social Security and Medicare are entitlements. You are "entitled" to them because you paid into the system. Nowadays the word tends to be used to denigrate recipients as having done nothing to deserve what they are receiving. Moreover, it tends to be used in a very derogatory manner to indicate that recipients of entitlements are somehow gaming the system.

It would be nice to use a different word for such abuse of the system.

Kind of like the word "racist" has been hijacked...today it's basically used to describe people who have views others don't like...

What about me since I complained about my own generation?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Imagine if she told the cops you staged the accident and hit your brakes causing the wreck.

Yep, that's why I have a dash cam and took pics. Both the dash cam footage and pics were sent to insurance. I used to work as an adjuster, so I know this happens WAY too often. People don't realize that without evidence such as dash cam footage, it becomes a your word vs. their word argument for the insurance company, which never ends well.

Luckily the girl was very cooperative, besides balling her eyes out after the stupid girl in the SUV made her comment.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
If it's a fender bender and the vehicle is driveable, get it off to the side of the road ASAP! A few years ago I got rear ended and pushed into another car because some woman decided stopping in the middle of the highway for her flat tire was smart.

Yep, as soon as we hit I got off the road onto the grass and encouraged the other driver to do the same. There was plenty of room for people to get around before we moved, but I know that in some cases people get distracted and drift towards the pulled over cars.

When I was an adjuster, I had a claim where cars rear ended on a highway in NJ. They pulled over, but it was at night and they didn't have hazards or lights on. The other drivers couldn't see them, and their cars were hit by a dump truck while they were standing next to them. Both of them did survive but had to go to the hospital.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I would have looked her in the eye, told her that I don't bother speaking with poor white trash and turned and walked away.
That would have cut her more deeply in front of her friends than anything else you might have done.
She clearly had it coming.

Haha that would've been a good one!

Like I said she didn't offend me, I can take it and just brush it off as some idiot who doesn't know what is going on. I had people threaten me pretty much daily when I worked in insurance. I was bothered by the fact that she made the situation more difficult by turning the other driver into a crying mumbling mess who was now really difficult to communicate with and get information from. The result of her stupidity made the situation more of a pain than it already was.

To anyone here who actually believes that the current younger generation (under 30) have no worse manners and civility toward others than that same age group in the 1940's or 50's....has got a very confused sense of what culture is all about. We've DEVOLVED when it comes to manners, respect, and courtesy. Especially the younger crowd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back