The Jeep left me stranded this morning!

Well, the old girl finally threw a fit on the first COLD morning we've had so far this winter. On my way to work around 0730, everything seemed fine, and bam the power steering loses assist. Immediately glanced at the gauges and saw the volt meter falling rapidly, along with the temp gauge rising. Yep, lost the belt.

Pulled over downtown Minneapolis and popped the hood. Sure enough, the belt was lying loosely around the pulleys. Further investigation revealed the idler pulley to be missing. Not seized, not snapped, just gone. Bolt and all. The threads in the head look just fine, so my only theory is that the bearings in the pulley seized causing it to get hot enough to weld itself to the steel spacer that aligns it with the rest of the pulleys. That spacer is staked to the bolt that holds the entire shebang to the head, kind of hard to explain without a picture but basically if the pulley seizes, the counter-clockwise rotation will effectively back the bolt out of the head and there she goes.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem EXCEPT: none of the aftermarket pulleys come with the spacer. NONE. The only way to get one is a pulley/bolt/spacer assembly from the dealer. Fine... 4 times the price for an extra piece if steel. Then I learn that said assembly is on national backorder with no ETA, although there's 3 left on locator IN THE COUNTRY! Erg, fine. Plan B: drive 40 minutes round trip to brave -10 wind chills at the pick-n-pull. Lucky for me, there were at least a dozen WJ's on the lot, and the 3rd one I peeked at had an almost new idler pulley in it. Only had to walk 2 rows back, and it set me back $6.87.

I had the truck towed to my shop, where she got the new pulley, a new belt, and while I was in there a new thermostat and gasket along with a coolant flush. I'd been smelling the occasional whiff of coolant and the housing had a very small leak, plus I always do a 'stat after an overheat condition. Filled her with 50/50 global coolant and once again she's alive and well.

I really can't complain, though. It's a $400 vehicle that's cost me almost nothing in actual repairs. Even today's bill was less than $100, and that includes the ~5 mile tow.

Dang. I’ve never seen one come off of a car before lol. Well at least you noticed and didn’t let it die in the middle of the road. It’s probably a good thing you replaced the thermostat anyway on Jeep’s I’ve heard you need to replace everything like that on an overheat.

Same thing happened to me on an '04 Odyssey I had, except the idler pulley bolt sheared in two. Made it the rest of the way to work and back home (about 50 miles) running on the battery no problem. One of the benefits of a timing belt driven water pump. Even had PS as it's driven by a separate belt. Was worried about the bolt stuck in the engine, had about 1/8" to grab onto but surprisingly I was able to spin it out by hand.

Usually pulley bearings give you ample warning (weeks or months in my experience) before they completely fail. I wonder if the bolt just loosened up and worked its way out?

Similar thing happened to a girl I was dating once... K24 Honda, lost the tensioner and belt. She called me and said the steering wheel was hard to turn, temp gauge was high and the battery light was on. I asked how far she had been driving like that, "until it died." Found her in a Winn-Dixie parking lot; saw the problem immediately. Ran across the street to NAPA, grabbed a tensioner, the cheapest belt they had, a new bolt and some loctite. Zipped it together and it started right up.

I had an F-150 come in last week for unrelated work; I was under the hood checking all the fluids and something shiny caught my eye... idler pulley bolt was hanging on by half a thread. Torqued it down and added a bit of blue loctite to be safe.

It is surprising how far cars can go on battery alone without alternator.

Way back in the day I accidentally over-revved my '99 Dodge Neon (DOHC edition) and that caused the V-belt and serpentine belt to jettison - and yes it still had a v-belt driving the alternator. Made it to the closest Dodge dealer that was ~8 miles away on battery alone - I was just waiting for the car to die but it never did.

I have a love/hate relationship with Jeeps. I'm a Ford man but have owned three pre-2000 4.0 Cherokees in my life, still having a '96 around for the 4WD capability. (As I write this, it is snowing hard, so....) Anyway, your post reminds me of when I was about 90 minutes away from home late one night, temperature was about 10°, wind was blowing and snow was coming down. Suddenly, my alternator failed and the last thing I wanted to do was have somebody rescue me. I shut all electrical parasites down, including the heater motor, crossed my fingers and drove. My brother's house was on the way, about 15 minutes from home, and I limped my Jeep to his house and parked it with about 8.5 volts left in the battery. I borrowed my brother's truck to make it home. Next day, I fixed the alternator.
My '96, from the factory, has a combination of pre and post OBDII parts. I know I better have the old part on hand before I pick up the new part.
Oh, as for being a Jeep sucker, I just picked up a '99 4.0 Cherokee for $300. Body is in good shape, but in typical Jeep 4.0 fashion the connecting rod has put a hole in the side of the block. Luckily, I have a completely rebuilt 4.0 engine in my shed waiting to be installed. :cool:

aunts rarely driven 99 4.0 with just under a 100 thou has been great for her 85YO with great visibility. typical rear main leak headliner falling down, rest of interior NICE + AC broke + poor paint!! NO rust + runs great + dont want a modern GIZMO laden vehicle thats hard to see out of!! someone is always looking to buy it, prolly for next to nothing!!

I really really like these old 4.0s. I had a 93 ZJ and got pretty attached to it. Junkyard parts were cheap. I’ve thought about getting another but the practicality of living with a 25 year old car is not winning any awards here. I have short legs and a long back and the ZJ fit well, the WJ had my head in the ceiling. I really tried to find a WJ I could make work... neighbors had one with 300k on it and it looked new.

Had to let the ‘98 XJ go-it was in danger of rusting in half, both front floorboards & the ROOF going! Found my son a FL ‘07 Accord, K24 auto, under 60,000 miles, for 5K. The old Jeep lives down by the river now, dude uses it to run around his property across the river in KY. It’s’ overheating episode was stuck in a huge traffic jam for hours on I-275, son let it idle with the A/C on until it literally seized/stopped running! Once it cooled off, & added the 2 1/2 quarts of oil it burned off, it literally was like it never even happened!

Hate to break it to you guys, but I think OP wrecked it into a tree, light pole and a Wendy's sign a few weeks ago.

Had to let the ‘98 XJ go-it was in danger of rusting in half, both front floorboards & the ROOF going! Found my son a FL ‘07 Accord, K24 auto, under 60,000 miles, for 5K. The old Jeep lives down by the river now, dude uses it to run around his property across the river in KY. It’s’ overheating episode was stuck in a huge traffic jam for hours on I-275, son let it idle with the A/C on until it literally seized/stopped running! Once it cooled off, & added the 2 1/2 quarts of oil it burned off, it literally was like it never even happened!

The roof on my 01 XJ has rusted through in a few spots. I do not understand that. But it creates some interesting electrical gremlins. That's for sure.

Back