The G.O.A.T. Valentino Rossi announces his retirement

My vote goes for Rossi. But Agostini's 120+ Grand Prix wins and multiple world titles are nothing to sneeze at.

I'm not a Rossi fan at all but it would be nice to see the old man win one last race before he retires. Call me nostalgic. I doubt it'll happen unless the circumstances and conditions are in alignment. That said, I think he's retiring a few years too late. I didn't realize his last championship was back in 2009. His last win was Assen, a favorite track of his, in 2017 so that's fitting.

I enjoyed watching him ride 250s with Aprilia. I thought his Honda years were boringly predictable. I did like how he meshed with the Yamaha so well right off the bat. I really wished he was able to do the same at Ducati.

Michael Dunlop is a pretty good racer;

I've met Michael Dunlop, and a bunch more of the racers that ride in the Irish roadraces, and have been given some advice regarding the mountain course by several of them. I was there as a rookie, living out my bucket list dream of riding in the TT. They would be the first to tell you that Rossi and indeed all of the MotoGP riders, are on another level.

Last edited:
I've met Michael Dunlop, and a bunch more of the racers that ride in the Irish roadraces, and have been given some advice regarding the mountain course by several of them. I was there as a rookie, living out my bucket list dream of riding in the TT. They would be the first to tell you that Rossi and indeed all of the MotoGP riders, are on another level.

In terms of skill, they probably are... But the dudes that run the IoM and all the other street based races have cojones like nobody else. You literally cannot care about your life in order to do that.

I recall in the documentary 'Road' from a few years, back, William Dunlop admitted exactly that. He died in a crash a few years later.

In terms of skill, they probably are... But the dudes that run the IoM and all the other street based races have cojones like nobody else. You literally cannot care about your life in order to do that.

I recall in the documentary 'Road' from a few years, back, William Dunlop admitted exactly that. He died in a crash a few years later.
Not to get into a pi$$ing contest but GP racers have a well set up and manicured track that they've been on hundreds of laps. The IOM course constantly changes and has several different weather changes on the course. Top riders on the IOM have to be able to adapt constantly. That is not to say GP riders don't but we will never know since most top riders are not allowed to participate in TT races due to the dangers. Either way these riders have brass ones the size of basketballs. Going to see the race on IOM is on my bucket list and I hope to go before I'm worm food

Last edited:
Michael Dunlop is a pretty good racer;

The I O M reminds me of when I was really stupid and after getting my 1971 Kawasaki Mach III through the 1985 Kawasaki GPZ I would go rain or shine on the Marin city sunday morning ride. It was fun.

I care about my life, and so do the other racers I talked to. So did the tour guide for rookies, Milky Quayle, who crashed big time while he was competing in the IOM TT, but still has a passion for real roadracing.

I am once again reminded why I haven't given an account of my experience there. People who have never met me, or any of the racers who have a dream to compete there, assume you must have a deathwish, and are willing to chastise you for it. It's more like a fear of not living life to it's fullest.

I am reminded of a quote from David Jefferies. I admired his ability, as he was also a guy of larger (non-jockey) stature (like me), but he was still the fastest at one time.

'Those who risk nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing, become nothing.'

At any rate, this is a thread noting the retirement of the man whom a lot of past and present MotoGP riders consider the G.O.A.T.

Vehicle related: (there are other none vehicle related examples for me but I will stay on topic)

Some of us are a small breed of humans that is called "adrenaline junkies". I have raced street (still do shh! ;) ) and professionally on motorcycles and cars tracks since before I got my license in the mid 70's . Its not that we dont care or respect our life nor does it mean we have "cojonies" . It is about the thrill and feeling hitting triple digits on the speedo as often as possible and reaching "vanishing point" where the only thing in reality focus is at least almost a mile straight ahead. I have gone down hard on the street at over 130mph (not my fault or my bike) and I have almost vaporized a couple of cars Drag Racing. Sure we take that chance of the uncertain and uncontrollable things, that just happen its all part of seeking the moment when you know only others that are like you at that moment when you know the only thing preventing you from going even faster is the engine. :cool:

I think Giacomo Agostini and Mick Doohan were both in that class. Ago was probably the GOAT.
Not to take anything away from Ago, he's still in my top 3...sometimes at the top. But he did have it his own way for a long time. For me the Kiwi years are important - 1970 Ago won the World 500cc Championship, and Ginger Molloy came 2nd. Ginger drove around Europe in a van with his wife and kids, paying for everything himself, working on his own bikes....he was the first to get the Kawasaki triple to finish and win races. Ago would fly in to the circuit, jump on his factory prepared bike, and fly home again. '71 was Kiwi Kieth Turner in 2nd, and '73 was Kim Newcome - 2nd posthumously on a bike he built himself. They came 2nd the hard way ...but it was still 2nd.

I really wish this word of the year “goat“ would go away already, and Kool-Aid colored hair on everyone. Back to the subject, Evil Knievel was the best motorcycle racer.

I really wish this word of the year “goat“ would go away already, and Kool-Aid colored hair on everyone. Back to the subject, Evil Knievel was the best motorcycle racer.

:LOL:

Well, Evel was one of the best self-promoters, and influencer of a generation of naive young boys. What young boy in the 70's didn't have an Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle, and try to emulate him.

You have to admire the IOM racers and they tend to be real characters but don't you think at least some of them would have migrated to MotoGP if they had been fast enough. MotoGP is the pinnacle.

Back