The boss got fired, then my coworker quit.

I did speak with the head of maintenance as I'm stuck on-call for an additional week making it week number 3 next week. I was told I'll " more than make it worth your while." Who knows at this point. I do have a video conference call with my job placement professional that I've been working with.
I know in the State I live in law says if they put you on call during your off hours or days they have to pay you half time for all of those hours. You might want to check your States working regulations!

I know in the State I live in law says if they put you on call during your off hours or days they have to pay you half time for all of those hours. You might want to check your States working regulations!
Ohio has a similar law but I don't know the exact specifics.

Ohio has a similar law but I don't know the exact specifics.

Kentucky required 4 hours minimum pay for every day on call. If you were called in and there for more than 4 hours, you were paid actual hours work. If you were not called, you were paid 4 hours and if you were called and there less than 4 hours you were still paid 4 hours.

My wife works as a nurse in Missouri, and I don't know if this is state law or hospital policy but she is paid her regular hourly rate for every hour on call-they will sometimes put her on call if they're overstaffed and she gets a full 12 hours pay.

Of course the catch in both of those-hours on call don't count as hours actually worked toward your 40 hours/week. That means if for example you have 37.5 hours physically worked and have 12 or however many on-call hours, those 12 hours would be paid straight time and not time and a half. My wife goes into overtime almost every week(since a 12 hour shift is rarely 12 hours, plus she often has meetings and other things on "days off") and putting her on call for a 12 hour shift saves them a lot since it can keep her out of overtime or at least minimize it.

Secure another job with a 2 week start date. Give your current employer your ultimatum in a nice, professional sympathetic way. Be prepared to walk.

Seriously, this company sounds like a joke. It's funny what we get used to though, I know.
Exactly. I know places that blow employees off, say we'll talk at annual review time in December.

This is an emergency on your employer's part, not yours. The talk needs to happen today, with a written plan forward today. Let's say they promise you market rate of $25/hr starting July 1, ok, cool, put it in writing.

Let's say they dodge you and say the guy that makes the decisions is unavailable because (stupid reasons). Give your two weeks!

These are literally the only two outcomes. Depersonalize your situation, explain your predicament, and see which way it goes. Good luck!

I'm not sure where you're at in CO or what type of aircraft manager you're interested in, but I saw this today.

1647018196403.jpg

I'm fairly open to jobs. In theory I'd love to be director of a large scale airport like Denver International Airport. The current director makes $8 million plus or minus a little bit.

Hi All,

So last Friday my boss got himself canned, and yesterday my only co-worker walked out. I'm now stuck on-call indefinitely as they are "trying to figure something out." Does anyone here have a good way to negotiate or put pressure to get this fixed? I'm currently working with a job placement professional to get into another aviation role preferably in management. But, I've more or less laid it out that I can get a night manager stocking job at the local grocery store for the same money without being on-call. I don't want to burn any bridges but, I'm trying to find the best way to go about this.

I would be done at that company. I refused to be bullied and abused when I was working. I do suggest not burning your bridge and giving them a 2 week notice. If you know your worth then stand your ground.

Back