That's the end of F1 as we know it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Hooters is all about women as ornaments. Nothing about F1 requires women as ornaments. All that does is turn off some women who might have become fans of the sport.

Spare me. Women who are "turned off" because there are other better looking women around, need to get a life. Or else blame their mothers, not F1. Nothing "requires" that your waitress serving your burger and wings has to be dressed in cheek high hot pants and a skin tight tank top. But people like to watch them, and go there for it. Their entire business was built around good looking babes. And if you've ever been to a Hooters you would notice almost as many women there as men.

F1 grid girls are no different. Or cheerleaders and "ball girls" in MLB, the NFL, or the NBA. Stop acting like F1 is suddenly "above that". This was a stupid decision that accomplishes nothing. And catering to a few over the top feminists does nothing but advance this whole idiotic snowflake mentality. What's next "Safe Spaces" at the track where the fans can go to cry and sip hot cocoa when their favorite driver loses?

Originally Posted By: billt460
What's next "Safe Spaces" at the track where the fans can go to cry and sip hot cocoa when their favorite driver loses?

You forgot the puppies, coloring books, blow bubbles and grief counselor.
lol.gif
Its a laugh but really its the saddest thing I have ever heard, these are some sick folks man.

Originally Posted By: Trav
You mean F1 girls are not there as ornament like hooterss?

Completely missed the point.

Women-as-ornaments is the whole point of Hooters. It's not an add-on. It's the whole point. The whole point.

It's not the point of F1. It has nothing to do with the point of F1, which is auto racing. It's just some randomly tacked-on eye candy.

Hooters without ornamental women isn't Hooters any more. It's just a mediocre chicken restaurant. F1 without ornamental women is still 100% F1.

Sex sells, to men anyway. It doesn't matter what the feminists or conservative apologists say, it always has. Would a shapely young woman get my attention?. You bet it would!.
Fundamentalist religious factions object to pretty girls in clothes showing off their figures. Not because as the leaders say, it causes uncontrollable feeling in men, (which is why they try to say girls getting raped are to blame for being good looking), but because any girl with half a brain wouldn't look twice at them.
Eye candy girls are a part of many sports, from motor racing to darts. For many years the UK's best selling newspaper featured topless girls on page three, it added nothing to journalism, but it helped sales.

Claud.

Spare me. Women who are "turned off" because there are other better looking women around, need to get a life. Or else blame their mothers, not F1.

And what about men who scream bloody murder because F1 won't have grid girls any more? What should they do?

Nothing "requires" that your waitress serving your burger and wings has to be dressed in cheek high hot pants and a skin tight tank top. But people like to watch them, and go there for it. Their entire business was built around good looking babes.

Repeating one of my points back to me as though it refutes what I said.
thumbsup2.gif

F1 grid girls are no different. Or cheerleaders and "ball girls" in MLB, the NFL, or the NBA. Stop acting like F1 is suddenly "above that". This was a stupid decision that accomplishes nothing. And catering to a few over the top feminists does nothing but advance this whole idiotic snowflake mentality. What's next "Safe Spaces" at the track where the fans can go to cry and sip hot cocoa when their favorite driver loses?

Well apparently it's not just a few over-the-top feminists. The sanctioning body seems to think that this move will broaden their appeal more than enough to offset the loss of people who feel the way you do. The way things are going, I can't blame them. We can prognosticate all we want about how not having our petty eye candy is going to hasten the loss of everything we know and love, but in the end it's a pretty straightforward business decision. Believe it or not, the idea that women are people seems to be gaining traction these days.
21.gif

Women-as-ornaments is the whole point of Hooters. It's not an add-on. It's the whole point. The whole point. It's not the point of F1. It has nothing to do with the point of F1, which is auto racing. It's just some randomly tacked-on eye candy. Hooters without ornamental women isn't Hooters any more. It's just a mediocre chicken restaurant. F1 without ornamental women is still 100% F1.

You're desperately trying to make more out of this than it is. Guys like to look at good looking women..... Period. Anywhere, any time, any place. I don't care if it's at a restaurant, a race track, or walking down the street on a Saturday afternoon. It's a welcome addition and attraction everywhere. And taking it away in some silly, politically correct attempt to pacify some petty, bent out of shape feminists and or neutered corporate snowflakes is ridiculous.

Good looking women, dressed hot at racetracks, have been around for decades. On the grid. On the podium. Or roaming around the pit areas taking photo ops with fans. It's always been a very welcome attraction. Now, all of a sudden, these social snowflakes are all acting like you could catch something from them. It makes me wonder what these people do when they actually have a real problem in life?

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
.......some teams hire attractive women to collect balls in foul territory, but at least they actually do something involved in the game to a minor extent and don't run on the field to interrupt things and shake their stuff. I believe the Cubbies may have started this trend with Marla Collins back in the '80s, not sure...she became a minor star in the area and then got fired for posing in Playboy.

Oh yeah, Marla delivered balls to the umps! In my memory she was sitting down one of the foul lines...shows you how useful memory can be sometimes.
Nice to see Walter Jacobson after all these years, we didn't watch his station all that much but I liked him as a newsman. Deborah Norville from the same era of Chicago news is a host on some fluffy celebrity "news" show now, I'm sure she must be in her 60s but still looks very much like she did in the '70s.

EDIT - my mistake, Deborah is only 59 and didn't start working in Chicago until 1982. There was another very popular blonde anchorwoman who preceded her in Chicago I was confusing with her, can't think of her name.
Also fixed Walter's name...just saw that he worked with the legendary Bill Kurtis, whose voice I still hear often on TV (PBS??).

Last edited:
There was another very popular blonde anchorwoman who preceded her in Chicago I was confusing with her, can't think of her name.

Mary Ann Childers from Channel 7, (WLS-TV, ABC Chicago).

Speaking of ball girls in MLB. I remember when this faked play was put out several years ago. It was amazing how many sports writers and broadcasters were actually fooled by it.

Well apparently it's not just a few over-the-top feminists. The sanctioning body seems to think that this move will broaden their appeal more than enough to offset the loss of people who feel the way you do. The way things are going, I can't blame them. We can prognosticate all we want about how not having our petty eye candy is going to hasten the loss of everything we know and love, but in the end it's a pretty straightforward business decision. Believe it or not, the idea that women are people seems to be gaining traction these days.
21.gif

That seems a bit over-the-top, these aren't women forced into subjugation to be slobbered over by Jabba the Hut, they are generally career models who see this as an opportunity to make money and further that career, as somebody else in this thread touched-on.

Unless you are of the opinion that the entire modelling community, male and female, is somehow turning both sexes into "not people", acknowledging that skin/sex appeal sells isn't selling your gender down the road to slavery, it is, and has historically been, a business decision to appeal to the largest demographic attending these events, which are males.

Attractive men are used for movies and acting, as are attractive women. That these are the people that tend to end up with the most successful careers in that venue is because people generally want to look at others of the opposite sex who are attractive. This isn't an exclusively male trait and claiming that doing so makes males petty purveyors of eye candy, whilst females get a free pass does not further the quest for equality. You cannot shame and mandate something out of one sex that exists in both and claim a moral victory for it. You just end up with more screwed up males who don't understand why they feel guilty for glancing at the female form.

If anything, there should be more scantily clad attractive males at primarily female-attended events to level the field. Ontario passed, years ago, that it was legal for women to go topless. There was a brief period before of protest demanding it, which came with groups of topless women, and a brief period after, celebrating it, also with topless women. Since then, the amount of topless females walking around, save for the pride parade, which also features males similarly exposed, has been basically zero. It was a quest for a right to alleviate the stigma of an exposed breast and while it reached status as acceptable from a legal standpoint, most women don't actually want to walk around with their breasts bared.

IMHO, the appeal of both genders should be celebrated, and neither should be maligned for being attracted to the other. The advancement since the 1950's has been all about freedom of expression, of form, of figure. The right for women and men, and more recently, those that may choose to identify differently, to be proud of who they are. A woman who chooses to dress up in an outfit that complements her figure, one she knows appeals to men, is doing just that.

We should be tearing down barriers that encourage prudish behaviour, not establishing new ones. There seems to be a paradox of Liberalism here, rolling back 70 years of advancement in the name of an agenda that claims to be progressive, yet whose anti-offence policy where everyone is a victim is actually regressive. Chastising people like the 19th century Catholic Church, the stigmas of which we have been trying to get away from since any form of progressive agenda gained traction.

Great great post OVERKILL.

Trust me when it comes down to it.... Women want a guy that looks good to be their server at a restaurant, working on their car, working with them in their office or place of work etc etc etc... They don't necessarily like looking at a 450 lb man with copious body hair, a poorly fitting shirt and hasn't shaved in 3 weeks.... And I should know... Because in my work I am surrounded by about 85-90% women. Which I have to say is a nice part of it.

Last edited:
There was another very popular blonde anchorwoman who preceded her in Chicago I was confusing with her, can't think of her name.

Mary Ann Childers from Channel 7, (WLS-TV, ABC Chicago).

Possible, although Mary Ann started in the '80s like Deborah. I started HS in 1980 and my memory is of somebody from my grade school years...didn't watch much TV news in HS but became a voracious newspaper reader then.
Could have been Jane Pauley, but she only spent a year on Chicago news. Could have even been Jessica Savitch despite her not being a Chicago anchor...

Last edited:
Good looking men or women are nicer to look at than not so nice looking men or women. Yep eye candy. When will the TV news quit having the babe talking heads co anchor? It is cute how the man speaks a few lines then the woman speaks a few lines of the story..

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
We should be tearing down barriers that encourage prudish behaviour, not establishing new ones.

thumbsup2.gif

If it's not exploitation, then it should be free.

That seems a bit over-the-top, these aren't women forced into subjugation to be slobbered over by Jabba the Hut, they are generally career models who see this as an opportunity to make money and further that career, as somebody else in this thread touched-on.

That is absolutely true. While the grid girls don't do much for me, particularly given that my experience is solely through TV coverage and they add nothing to it, it may be different for others. I'm not out there at races trying to recruit models or represent a large company. On the other hand, F1 paddocks are filled with the rich and famous (including sponsors who run ads) who may be looking to recruit.

21.gif

Unless you are of the opinion that the entire modelling community, male and female, is somehow turning both sexes into "not people", acknowledging that skin/sex appeal sells isn't selling your gender down the road to slavery, it is, and has historically been, a business decision to appeal to the largest demographic attending these events, which are males.

Attractive men are used for movies and acting, as are attractive women. That these are the people that tend to end up with the most successful careers in that venue is because people generally want to look at others of the opposite sex who are attractive. This isn't an exclusively male trait and claiming that doing so makes males petty purveyors of eye candy, whilst females get a free pass does not further the quest for equality. You cannot shame and mandate something out of one sex that exists in both and claim a moral victory for it. You just end up with more screwed up males who don't understand why they feel guilty for glancing at the female form.

If anything, there should be more scantily clad attractive males at primarily female-attended events to level the field. Ontario passed, years ago, that it was legal for women to go topless. There was a brief period before of protest demanding it, which came with groups of topless women, and a brief period after, celebrating it, also with topless women. Since then, the amount of topless females walking around, save for the pride parade, which also features males similarly exposed, has been basically zero. It was a quest for a right to alleviate the stigma of an exposed breast and while it reached status as acceptable from a legal standpoint, most women don't actually want to walk around with their breasts bared.

IMHO, the appeal of both genders should be celebrated, and neither should be maligned for being attracted to the other. The advancement since the 1950's has been all about freedom of expression, of form, of figure. The right for women and men, and more recently, those that may choose to identify differently, to be proud of who they are. A woman who chooses to dress up in an outfit that complements her figure, one she knows appeals to men, is doing just that.

We should be tearing down barriers that encourage prudish behaviour, not establishing new ones. There seems to be a paradox of Liberalism here, rolling back 70 years of advancement in the name of an agenda that claims to be progressive, yet whose anti-offence policy where everyone is a victim is actually regressive. Chastising people like the 19th century Catholic Church, the stigmas of which we have been trying to get away from since any form of progressive agenda gained traction.

No no, I'm not saying the models weren't being treated like people. I have no idea, but like you I generally assume they are people doing a job like anyone else.

This also has zero to do with showing skin. If people want to voluntarily come to the races buck naked, that's on them.

What's dehumanizing is the implicit insistence on some sort of right to see women showing skin while telling women who are put off by that to pound sand. Evidently there are enough of the latter (and enough male allies) for the FIA to change their tune. All well and good to grouse about that, and if that's all this thread were about, I'd be 100% on board like most straight males. But what people here are saying is, "when women don't want to see their sex objectified in this context, that opinion is absolutely worthless; when I say they SHOULD be objectified, that's completely valid." That's ridiculous.

What's dehumanizing is the implicit insistence on some sort of right to see women showing skin while telling women who are put off by that to pound sand. Evidently there are enough of the latter (and enough male allies) for the FIA to change their tune. All well and good to grouse about that, and if that's all this thread were about, I'd be 100% on board like most straight males. But what people here are saying is, "when women don't want to see their sex objectified in this context, that opinion is absolutely worthless; when I say they SHOULD be objectified, that's completely valid." That's ridiculous.

"Dehumanizing"? That's quite a stretch, and it is total B.S. These women, and women like them who are doing similar modeling, are beautiful and gorgeous. And ALL of them are dressed tastefully. And ALL of them are glad to have been chosen for those jobs. Which by the way there are a very limited amount of. It's not like they are being paraded around like a bunch of painted up, half naked strippers. Which is exactly what these Feminazi's, along with all the gutless, neutered, snowflake males like them, are all trying to imply.

You'll see more skin on the cover of Cosmopolitan, or in underwear ads in Ladies Home Journal. They are all pushing a silly, stupid position. And if these petty feminists find it so distasteful and "dehumanizing" to look at a beautiful member of their own sex, they've got serious psychological issues that won't be satisfied or cured by kicking a few beautiful girls off the starting grid of a racetrack, or anywhere else for that matter. That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. We are making this whole matter worse by catering to these whining, petty, idiot snowflakes who are pushing these girls right out of a job. Just so they can satisfy their own stupid personal agenda.

A couple of points whether you like it or not... Your buddies in Hollywood have "objectified" women for a number of decades... Even when your friends took over Hollywood in the 80s that trend never stopped. In fact... It got worse. A lot worse. I find it hilarious that yourself and your friends now what to act like women are all to be thought as like they are Mother Theresa. The irony here is more than astounding. How about real abuse of women?? Like the Hollywood movie guy who did what that piece of GARBAGE did... Now that.... Is worth being in a tizzy over. Or the "doctor" involved with USA gymnastics... That is real actions that really hurt people. Not faux outrage or namby pamby reactionary garbage to something that really doesn't mean a real thing in this world... I guess now people who are in like mind as yourself as going to want to impose Sharia law now?? I am joking there and not serious in stating that. But... Seriously?? Where does this nonsense stop?? In this society we are now saying... Men stop being men... And women be and act like men.... etc etc etc... It has gotten a good bit loony tunes around here.

Look, I am honestly grateful that things did and have changed for the better for women in this country. It is a great thing indeed that it has done that. I have two older sisters. And they have had the great opportunity to do things in a better and different way which has helped them a lot in their lives.

But let me just tell you this.... They both had REAL assaults done to them.... Objectifying is not a big deal or real problem... But real physical things done to women.... Like what happened to both my sisters.. Is truly worth being angry about... I would take a tire iron or crowbar to those pieces of garbage who did what they did to my sisters... and I would not feel the least bit guilty about it at all. Supposed "objectifying women" is nothing in comparison. Not even remotely close.

Last edited:

No no, I'm not saying the models weren't being treated like people. I have no idea, but like you I generally assume they are people doing a job like anyone else.

This also has zero to do with showing skin. If people want to voluntarily come to the races buck naked, that's on them.

OK, so far so good...

What's dehumanizing is the implicit insistence on some sort of right to see women showing skin while telling women who are put off by that to pound sand.

But why are the women put off by it? Do the women doing their job not have a right to do it? What happens when these same women visit a beach? View a cover of ANY magazine in the grocery store check-out, which feature both scantily clad male AND female forms?

This is what I'm talking about with the paradox of Liberalism. We've been trying to de-stigmatize sex for close to a century and that's exactly what my Ontario example was about. You can't claim to be progressive and support regressive prudish policy, those items are at odds with each other.

Evidently there are enough of the latter (and enough male allies) for the FIA to change their tune.

Or perhaps this is a political reaction and in-step with the #metoo movement? I've never been one to assume that it's a moral compass driving a Corporation
wink.gif

All well and good to grouse about that, and if that's all this thread were about, I'd be 100% on board like most straight males. But what people here are saying is, "when women don't want to see their sex objectified in this context, that opinion is absolutely worthless; when I say they SHOULD be objectified, that's completely valid." That's ridiculous.

I guess we see this differently. I see nothing objectifying about an attractive women intentionally dressing in figure-complimenting attire and showing off what she's been blessed with and likely worked hard to maintain. I also see nothing noble in feigning offence over this due to what may simply be insecurity or jealousy pandered under the guise of Feminist agenda.

Allowed to snowball, this mindset leads to the proverbial "Burka on the beach" where women are expected to hide what they've got because men are uncontrollable savages and women are too stupid to realize they are self-objectificating. They need to trust those pushing this agenda that they truly know what's best. That it conflicts with everything progressive from the last century should raise no red flags
wink.gif

But why are the women put off by it?

I mean, that's a whole separate topic that would be better served by a conversation with those women.

What's relevant here is the fact that some of us in our armchairs have decided a priori what the reasons are, dismissed them as [censored], and then used that judgment as an excuse for righteous indignation about... What? Seriously, what? Nothing whatsoever resembling the Puritanism you're describing; just the FIA removing irrelevant ornamental women from a racing series.

Come on, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back