That was not so bad.

I have been putting off replacing the drive belt on our Maverick. I read that it's a miserable job, it takes 4 hrs just to change the oil filter!

I decided to tackle the belt last night. Worst part was the huge amount of push pins that have to be pried up and removed. Also have to lift out the seat that's heavy and awkward.

I had the old belt off in 30 min or so. Old belt looked great to me. I kept hearing about how these tear up belts. Not even cracked after 6 years.

The new belt I got was wrong.

Orileys had a gates in stock so I put that on. I did the recommended belt break in this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_20210612_201402598.jpg
    IMG_20210612_201402598.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_20210612_210241107.jpg
    IMG_20210612_210241107.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 134
Yea it's his Can Am SxS.

Man I feel for you Can Am guys. Maintenance on those looks like a real pain.

The belts dont crack. They wear down. They also blow apart from excessive heat because they are worn down.

Belt wear is measured across the top cover of the belt. Lots of CVT belt experience on snowmobiles myself. Easily get 5k miles out of the belts on my 1200cc Skidoo's.
'14 JD diesel SxS gator with tracks pulling a trail grooming drag (at least 800 lbs.) through the woods OE belt lasted 2500 miles until it finally ''flipped over'' in the pulleys. That machine only see's grooming duty BTW.
Pulley alignment and clutch's in good shape those belts go a long time, worn indicator is less top end and weaker hole shot. 1/16 of a inch wear can make a difference. No hot weather experience with belts though.

Belt wear is measured across the top cover of the belt. Lots of CVT belt experience on snowmobiles myself. Easily get 5k miles out of the belts on my 1200cc Skidoo's.
'14 JD diesel SxS gator with tracks pulling a trail grooming drag (at least 800 lbs.) through the woods OE belt lasted 2500 miles until it finally ''flipped over'' in the pulleys. That machine only see's grooming duty BTW.
Pulley alignment and clutch's in good shape those belts go a long time, worn indicator is less top end and weaker hole shot. 1/16 of a inch wear can make a difference. No hot weather experience with belts though.
Yep, I was surprised how much difference a tiny amount of belt wear can be on my little 250 skidoo tundra. Really wakes it back up to have a wider less worn belt on it.

Back