TESTING: Valvoline EP, Mobil 1 EP, LiquidMoly Moly Gen, Castrol Magnatec, Castrol Edge EP VOAs (Blackstone)

Ouch the M1 EP add pack and TBN.
This is the oil I was interested in because I have two jugs of it for my next oil change. Disappointing, but there has to be more to the oil for it to be a 20,000 mile oil and to do so well in those recent tests. 🤷‍♂️

This is the oil I was interested in because I have two jugs of it for my next oil change. Disappointing, but there has to be more to the oil for it to be a 20,000 mile oil and to do so well in those recent tests. 🤷‍♂️
Precisely

Valvoline is a great oil, I have use this one few times, I would not go any longer than 5k miles on it, I have enough for one more oil change and im thinking about adding a

Lubegard 30901 Bio/Tech Engine Oil Protectant, 15 oz in 8 quarts of valvoline,this is very popular over at ram forums, people claiming to make the engine very smooth and very quiet valve train.​

Why not use RedLine 5W-XX then? They're heavy on esters. Might be your smoothest oil yet.

dexos , redline is not dexos approved .
You're worried about Dexos, yet you have no problem playing chemistry with the oil in your engine. I have news for you: it doesn't have to be.

Also, RedLine lists their oils as Dexos compatible. That covers you for warranty.

You're worried about Dexos, yet you have no problem playing chemistry with the oil in your engine. I have news for you: it doesn't have to be.

Also, RedLine lists their oils as Dexos compatible. That covers you for warranty.
do thy ? that's great news, I will contact redline to see what will they say, I would love to use redline in my 6.2.

That is strictly marketing. The fine print says to follow manufacturer intervals.

Right. The special unicorn dust that isn’t detected by the Labs is the secret sauce and nobody knows which oil has it infused within. 👍🏼
@MolaKule has gone on record plenty of times that you’re actually getting only a very, very small snapshot of what is in an oil based on the metallic additive content. Organic friction modifiers and plenty of other things, including what base oil group (GrpII, GrpIII, PAO, POE, etc) an oil uses, are not visible in a OA, so what’s hard to understand that there are plenty of things that you’ll never see on an oil analysis?

I believe Mola said the better tests which can tell you a whole lot more about what’s in the oil START at about $700… and who’s gonna pay that for the oil in their DD?

What I understand Valvoline Extended Protection it's supposed to be a really good oil. I have not used it yet myself, I have used Valvoline's original Max life formula synthetic blend, from several years ago, also the durablend and synpower, which is probably today's advanced synthetic. I've been using Mobil 1 EP 10K 5W20

Mobil 1 is not simply good motor oil, it's a religion.

Call me a heathen.

Say what you will about that guy, yeah we can tell he's not an oil engineer/formulator, funny thing is, i would have rated the oils in exactly the same order, although different engines will "tell" me different things.

Go look up the SDS for that Mobil 1, yeah it doesn't tell you everything but if it has alkylphenol it should be in there as it's toxic(it's estrogenic, persistent and bioaccumulates), it's an organic compound. Valvoline European Full Synthetic 5W-30 has it among a great add-pack.

Where is the evidence that oil analysis does not tell much truth? What does?
For one thing all a spectrographic analysis does is measure some (mostly metallic) elements from decomposed compounds. Although some assumptions can be made about the origin of some of the elements it’s technically not possible to definitively determine this.

What actually does describe the finished oil are the licenses, specifications and approvals the oil holds or does not hold. With the current trends in additive technology it appears that a VOA is becoming progressively less useful as more nonmetallic additives are being used, or the use of different compounds that may have the same elements. The days of predicting performance based on “look at that slug of boron” or “healthy dose of moly” are waning.

Back