TEST/ DEMO - the story on additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by 7tford:
Bob: I've never added anything to any of my fluids except maybe once about 10 years ago I tried "Slick 50" in one of my vehicles. Started using synthetics about the same time and have been experimenting a bit with different manufacturers since. Very interesting test. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with Castrol "Syntec" 75W-90 gear oil? Is the fact that the Pennzoil didn't climb the gears initially in the experiment of great concern? Do other synthetics behave this way? Would it have clinged any better if the temp was say 0? Gear oil depends on a splashing effect to lubricate. The faster the gears spin the more it lubricates. The general purpose of lucas is to get the oil on the parts sooner thus no dry runs. Keep in mind, the gears are put under a heavy load as soon as you start to move. The total wieght of the vehicle is placed on those gears from the start and at that time, when first pulling out, there is no lubrication pumping or splashing on those gears so climbing at first can be a good thing. I have yet to see any OTC gear oil climb. There may be one or two specialized oils but not any OTC oils do this. Redlines super shock I tried this on did not climb but.. it painted everything once the spash effect started to take place, and did not drain. It painted everything like a paintball and stuck to where it hit. Fact is, I will never put that stuff in this demo machine again as it took 4times the work to clean it off the machine. The climbing action of a gear oil can be extremely important when talking about a big truck or farm tractor rear end due to the fact it starts out with a heavy load and moves slowly at first which cannot supply an addiquate splash of lubricant at the slower speeds.

I can see the importance of cold start lubrication in an engine but is it really that critical in a gear set for that short of a time?
See previous answer

Also, how is the addition of friction modifier to a limited slip differential compare as an additive in the context of your experiment?
Lucas has no friction modifiers in that product. It is a pure petroleum base stock commonly called bright stock by some. This mainly effects the viscosity of the oil but no other properties. In my little machine, there was no load to speak of. It was just demonstrating how a product can climb and in this case showed how the addition of an additive can destroy the balance of an additive package in a perfectly good lubricant. Friction modifiers of any sort would not have changed the outcome of this test IMO. As for how it could effect an oil by adding more friction modifiers, an overload of additives can imbalance an oil, say in the case of FMs added, it can lay a heavy coat of fms on the metal surface and actually cause the detergents not to work and allowing the oil to oxidize faster due to the fact the detergents cannot clean. Not all additives can be as obvious as in the case of lucas but through analysis, it can show up. I hope that answers your questions.
bob

Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by BOBISTHEOILGUY:

quote:

Originally posted by 7tford:
Bob: I've never added anything to any of my fluids except maybe once about 10 years ago I tried "Slick 50" in one of my vehicles. Started using synthetics about the same time and have been experimenting a bit with different manufacturers since. Very interesting test. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with Castrol "Syntec" 75W-90 gear oil? Is the fact that the Pennzoil didn't climb the gears initially in the experiment of great concern? Do other synthetics behave this way? Would it have clinged any better if the temp was say 0? Gear oil depends on a splashing effect to lubricate. The faster the gears spin the more it lubricates. The general purpose of lucas is to get the oil on the parts sooner thus no dry runs. Keep in mind, the gears are put under a heavy load as soon as you start to move. The total wieght of the vehicle is placed on those gears from the start and at that time, when first pulling out, there is no lubrication pumping or splashing on those gears so climbing at first can be a good thing. I have yet to see any OTC gear oil climb. There may be one or two specialized oils but not any OTC oils do this. Redlines super shock I tried this on did not climb but.. it painted everything once the spash effect started to take place, and did not drain. It painted everything like a paintball and stuck to where it hit. Fact is, I will never put that stuff in this demo machine again as it took 4times the work to clean it off the machine. The climbing action of a gear oil can be extremely important when talking about a big truck or farm tractor rear end due to the fact it starts out with a heavy load and moves slowly at first which cannot supply an addiquate splash of lubricant at the slower speeds.

I can see the importance of cold start lubrication in an engine but is it really that critical in a gear set for that short of a time?
See previous answer

Also, how is the addition of friction modifier to a limited slip differential compare as an additive in the context of your experiment?
Lucas has no friction modifiers in that product. It is a pure petroleum base stock commonly called bright stock by some. This mainly effects the viscosity of the oil but no other properties. In my little machine, there was no load to speak of. It was just demonstrating how a product can climb and in this case showed how the addition of an additive can destroy the balance of an additive package in a perfectly good lubricant. Friction modifiers of any sort would not have changed the outcome of this test IMO. As for how it could effect an oil by adding more friction modifiers, an overload of additives can imbalance an oil, say in the case of FMs added, it can lay a heavy coat of fms on the metal surface and actually cause the detergents not to work and allowing the oil to oxidize faster due to the fact the detergents cannot clean. Not all additives can be as obvious as in the case of lucas but through analysis, it can show up. I hope that answers your questions.
bob

Thanks.

Thank you for the response Bob: The reason that I am curious with regards to the friction modifier is because I'd had the 9" locking differential rebuilt during the restoration of my 70 Mach 1. I filled it fresh with Redline 75W-90 gear oil which has the FM additive. On first time out the rear end chatter was extreme to the point that I thought it was going to come unglued. I only had access to the Ford OEM modifier which I think Redline Corp is ok with and started adding it until the diff shut up. I can't remember now but I think that I put in 3, 8 oz. bottles before it would go around a corner. Redline suggests 8 percent mixture FM for break-in and 4 percent normal use. I was concerned that I've added too much of the stuff? I read also that how the differential is set up at the time of rebuild dictates how much FM will be needed to allow it to operate properly, and that you couldn't add too much, so to speak. I haven't gone too many miles as the car is only summer driven and I don't get the time to use it, so I could still be considered as on "break-in". If I'm going to do any damage I would rather change out the fluid as per Redline specs, as doing the math using their percentages I should only have 8 oz. in an approximate 2 1/2 qt. total capacity. Off subject, I'm looking for a good quality motor oil to use in the 351C4V in this Mustang. Can you recommend any of the Shaeffer brand? I've been using Kendall GT-1 10W-30 since firing the motor but due to the apparent higher oil temps as compared to my daily driver V-6, I'm wondering if I need a better lubricant. I've been considering the markets heavy duty diesel oil offerings. The only draw back to using the Shaeffer's brand is that I'll not likely be able to get it here in Ontario.

Thanks again.

You can get Schaeffer products in Ontario but you have to mail order it from BC. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you the email address to the Schaeffer rep.

[ February 01, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

i agree about the use of the standard additives that are avail. to the public but i use one that is the very best from synergyn..oil additive and their fuel treatment preventalube...i only use synergyn, redline, and mobil products

amsoil?
royal purple?

grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by boxcartommie22:
i agree about the use of the standard additives that are avail. to the public but i use one that is the very best from synergyn..oil additive and their fuel treatment preventalube...i only use synergyn, redline, and mobil products

You might be carefull about what you may claim as the best, as I notice you keep pushing synergyn, so if that's what you're saying, I'd like to see what evidence you have to show how they compare to other additives and why can you mix theirs in and not others.

BTW, We don't count sales propaganda from their site or some race car driver claims as evidence. let's see some specific testing, done by either you or labs to show the end results and how that brought you to know they might be the best. Help everyone to see the light.

quote:

Originally posted by visi0n:
amsoil?
royal purple?

grin.gif

Yes, I am also very interested to see how amsoils gear lubes climb & hold up to this test. I have stuck with the recommended gear lubes for now, but would love to switch to a synthetic. I am really interested in the AMSOIL Series 2000 Synthetic 75W90.

Hey Bob,

I recently posted on a nissan site regarding lucas related problems with my 94 nissan altima and one of the guys forwarded your experiment. I was amazed to se that you had done a study on this.

I had noticed that my car had lost power and would not reach the high speeds that it use to. After alot of frustrations trying a tune up, a new cat, O2 sensors, the knock sensor and checking codes to which nothing helped my situation. So after running 1/2 litre of lucas in every oil change for 1-2 years I changed my oil and left the lucas out. To my suprise I had found some(definetly not all) power and could run significanly higer speeds. What happened? Why did I gain some power? Why did I not gain all the power back? What damage could it have done? Also i have been running it in the gear box where it seems to work good. Should I change that? If so, to what?

thanks alot Bob
exellent job on the experiment

Rye
crushedcar.gif

I have 2 quarts of Lucas trannie fluid in my Ford E4OD and have towed an 8000# tt 6 trips this summer with no problems at all.I've checked it right after stopping and noticed nothing unusual.The oil was still a clear red colour,no bubbles ,nothong different than before.I also put a bottle of their power steering fluid in my power steering and noticed and much improved firmness.Also there is no change to the power steering fluid after a long drive.

Any ideas or comments?
canada.gif

Hey Bob,

I was just refered to to your site by some I had talked to about my lucas problem on a nissan forrum. I must say I am amazed, this is exactly what I've been looking for.

I had been running lucas in my 94 Nissan Altima for 1.5 yrs. and recently it has been lacking a fair bit of power. I had tried a tune up, O2 sensor, knock sensor, fuel filter and pvc filter but nothing changed. So the last time I changed my oil I left out the lucas and what do u know, some (definetly not all but some) of my cars power has returned! What kind of damage could the lucas have caused my engine? Is it to late to do anything about it?

any sugestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanx,
RyeGuy

p.s. Fabulous site!

Ryeguy, You probably have stuck rings or at least sticky rings. You might want to consider doing Nuetra 131 purge a couple of times or Auto-Rx or useing Lube COntrol. I am guessing that once you free those rings you will be fine!

John Browning,

Thank you very much for the reply. Could any of these treatments harm my car in any way? How do I perform a purge? Any details on what to do would be greatly appreciated!

Thanx,
Rye Guy

By far the safest is Auto-Rx. Auto-Rx does not contain anything that could harm the car in any way. It is a natrual ester product created from esterfied lanolin. Remember that lanolin is so gentle that mother that are breast feeding use it to lube their nibbles to keep them from chaffing.

I belive that the new instructions for Auto-Rx has been made simplier. You change your filter add the Auto-Rx and drive 1500 miles and drain oil out. Fill with fresh conventional oil change filter and drive 1500 miles to flush system. You should check out the Auto-Rx site for details.

I have found the Lucas Engine Oil Additive info to be very informative and helpful. I have been using another Lucas product called Transmission Stop Leak for a few years. It DID help me the first time I used it, as my automatic trans in my 93 Ford Explorer suddenly dumped it's fluid out the front seal while it was just idling in the driveway. I went down to the Auto parts store and got some Lucas and poured it in, and it did stop the leak, for a year now. However, I am wondering if it has the same "foaming" problem as the engine oil additive. After it fixed the leak, I later on poured another bottle (24 0z) into the trannny thinking it would "be sure" to stay sealed, but I think I'm having a foaming problem now. I have noticed Trans fluid on the ground in my parking space after a hard run on the highway, and then the fluid checks high. Next morning, when I checked the fluid cold, after the engine had run for only a couple of minutes, the trans fluid checked low. Seems like it may be foaming up and overflowing. I might have to flush and drain all of the oil fluid out of the tranny. Do you run any test on ATF's or ATF Additives? Any Comments?
Thanks,
Big AL

I just want to know why you think this test was somehow more informative than the tests performed by lucas? I don't believe that their tests were performed on a tiny $25 gear box, but performed in vehicles and on Dynos. Personally this looks like it was a very biased test when it was performed and the test was not conducted in conditions that mirror actual performance with-in engine and drive train components. Is, or was, "Bob" a Shaffer Oil salesman? The way the test was run and the Shaffer products were put on a pedestal, it sure seems that way. As a mechanic and now a store manager for Autozone, I have used and reccomended Lucas products to easily 1000+ people. I have never once had any negative feedback resulting from the use of any of their products. The only side effect of my reccomendations has been repeat business. I personally use the oil additive in my '93 Astro with a 4.3L, and my '02 Avalanche with the 8.1L. Both engines run Mobil1 Synthetic oil. I also use the oil additive in my '78 SOHC Honda 750 which is a wet clutch system, if the stuff was going to destroy anything it would have killed my clutch in the bike a long time ago. I would enjoy hearing any type of response to what I have written. Thanx.

Bob doesn't sell lucas though. Lucas does sell Lucas. I've always felt his tests were done without bias.

The nice thing about the $25 gear box is it's clear. You can actually see what's going on inside of it.

The main point of this isn't to sell Schafer's. It's to show that if you're using a good oil/lube than you don't need additives.

quote:

The nice thing about the $25 gear box is it's clear. You can actually see what's going on inside of it.

But it does not simulate anything that goes on inside a real engine that is under load. For that matter the additive was added until it started to climb. What proportion is that? That tells me there was no actual attempt made to put the proper ratio of Lucas product to oil into the "$25 gear box".

quote:

Originally posted by Meanguns:
I just want to know why you think this test was somehow more informative than the tests performed by lucas? I don't believe that their tests were performed on a tiny $25 gear box, but performed in vehicles and on Dynos. Personally this looks like it was a very biased test when it was performed and the test was not conducted in conditions that mirror actual performance with-in engine and drive train components. Is, or was, "Bob" a Shaffer Oil salesman? The way the test was run and the Shaffer products were put on a pedestal, it sure seems that way.

Sure, Bob is a Schaeffer rep. Just like you (through your employment at AutoZone (see below)) are a "rep." for Lucas Oil products. You imply that Bob can't be objective because he sells Schaeffer Oil products. I guess by that logic, you can't be objective because you sell Lucas Oil products.

Anyway, rather than attacking Bob, why not try to attack his testing methodology. Bob stated that he began this test because of reports by truck drivers who were complaining that their diff. temps were getting HIGHER after adding Lucas' Heavy Duty Oil Stabilizer.

The test was originally designed to represent the type of agitation gear oil would receive in a diff. IMO, the test was actually easier than real-life because diff gears are wider and would pull more air into the oil, making it worse for the Lucas additive... in real life.

Hey, I admit I'm a fan of Schaeffer Oil's products. That's where my bias is. They have worked well for me... not just my opinion, but backed up by UOA's to prove it.

This brings up another point you made, "I don't believe..." One thing you will find about this bunch is that the only thing that "counts" are tests. Because of this, I went to Lucas Oil's web site to see how they tested their products. On their entire site, there was no mention about how they tested or developed their products.

On the other hand, when you read the Schaeffer Oil web site, it is very clear about how they develop/test their products. The two are part of the cyclical process that goes from development to testing to development to testing etc. They have extensive UOA programs with their customers. In addition, they have been doing lubrication for 166 years vs. the 16 years of Lucas Oil.

Personally, I'll put my money and trust in the extra 150 years of experience.

quote:

As a mechanic and now a store manager for Autozone, I have used and reccomended Lucas products to easily 1000+ people. I have never once had any negative feedback resulting from the use of any of their products.

AutoZone customers aren't typically the kind of people who test the products they use to see if they perform as advertised. Many/most probably don't even know that fairly affordable testing is available (~$20).

Anyway, after rereading this, I realize I've come on like an attack dog. Unusual for me as I'm usually a lurker on this board. FWIW, I have found Bob's tests to be more unbiased than most and that they have held up well to factual criticism.

If you take the time to reread this thread and understand what is being said and why things were done the way they were done, I think you may well come to agree with me. Then again, you may not. Different strokes for different folks...

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back