Tesla stock suffers biggest-ever drop

that chart is misleading for LY vs sales. Pandemic..

Not sure what you mean.

How would the pandemic affect last years numbers in the US?

Happy to look at alternative sources of data.

My response wasnt specific enough, I feel the YTD change column is misleading in a pandemic.. Not saying anything isnt factually true.

Tesla is affected by the pandemic just like everyone else. In fact, with most vehicles coming from Fremont, CA. they are even more compromised.
On a side note, the Taycan was the #1 selling Porsche last quarter, outselling the incredible 911.

My response wasnt specific enough, I feel the YTD change column is misleading in a pandemic.. Not saying anything isnt factually true.

The pandemic affected everyone.

Maybe the others wouldn't have shrunk as much, and maybe tesla would have grown more, but the numbers are what they are.

As Jeff mentioned with Fremont getting shut down Tesla may be been disproportionately negatively affected.

Is that actual sales or down payments?

Sold cars.

Which in the case of tesla means actual deliveries.
In the case of everyone else - it means sold to a dealer which it could be sitting a unsold inventory - which a lot of it most surely is.

Thats how the model works everyone else gets to say its "sold" the minute it leaves the plant.

Tons of info here.

In the respective segments Telsa wiped the floor in 3 out of 4 places they play.

Mid Size passenger auto - the 3 destroyed the segment
Large passenger auto - the 10 year old Model S whipped everything fairly handily.
Small SUV - the model Y destroyed the segment

The only non leading segment was mid sized SUV and the X was mid pack - BUT had the highest YTY growth.

Is that actual sales or down payments?
Tesla does not report cars manufactured, only deliveries. And there are no dealers.
On my return trip from Camp Pendleton to Silicon Valley, flying up highway 5, there must have been close to 30 car transport trucks delivering Teslas to the LA area. Once there were 3 in a row, a couple times 2. Mostly Model 3 and Y, a few bigger cars.

When are you taking delivery of that hot Model 3 Performance, PimTac? 300 mile range and 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds... $50K.
You could make life miserable for Porsches, Vettes, etc.

Tesla does not report cars manufactured, only deliveries. And there are no dealers.
On my return trip from Camp Pendleton to Silicon Valley, flying up highway 5, there must have been close to 30 car transport trucks delivering Teslas to the LA area. Once there were 3 in a row, a couple times 2. Mostly Model 3 and Y, a few bigger cars.

When are you taking delivery of that hot Model 3 Performance, PimTac? 300 mile range and 0 to 60 in 3.2 seconds... $50K.
You could make life miserable for Porsches, Vettes, etc.

I am very happy with the CX5.

Tons of info here.

In the respective segments Telsa wiped the floor in 3 out of 4 places they play.

Mid Size passenger auto - the 3 destroyed the segment
Large passenger auto - the 10 year old Model S whipped everything fairly handily.
Small SUV - the model Y destroyed the segment

The only non leading segment was mid sized SUV and the X was mid pack - BUT had the highest YTY growth.
Good info, but not seeing it. I see Toyota wiping floors and Honda, GM doing pretty well, then there is the F-150.

Good info, but not seeing it. I see Toyota wiping floors and Honda, GM doing pretty well, then there is the F-150.

Takes a tiny bit of work to sift through the segments, and I wont do all of them, but here's the us midsize luxury car segment where the model 3 plays.

It will be interesting to see the model Y segment at end of quarter.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 9.04.50 AM.png

Yep. Elon got whacked by Bitcoin.
It's not just Bitcoin, although Elon certainly did tie Tesla to Bitcoin when he made an investment of that size. If you look at all EV stocks, including CCIV, they all took a hit. I think investors have realized two things: 1) competition is finally increasing in this segment and 2) they may have gotten over their skis a bit with these companies, particularly Tesla.

There's no way that Tesla should have a market cap nearly three times bigger than Toyota. Absolutely no way. I mean, the biggest money maker for Tesla, and the only thing driving it to net profitability, still isn't even sales of any of their vehicles, it's the sales of regulatory credits that they are selling to other automakers. Which, by the way, that gravy train will be ending soon as these automakers are making moves to more (or entirely so) EV lineups. What do you think happens to Tesla's position in the EV market when every automaker has solid EV options, increasing competition and bringing prices down, all while reducing their dependency on Tesla's biggest money-maker? Tesla still hasn't even worked out the manufacturing kinks of building cars, and now you have recalls being forced on them and then them admitting to the fact that their touchpads should only be expected to last 5-6 years. This problem is exacerbated when you consider the fact that they route a VAST majority of functionality through the touchpads, essentially putting a life limit on one of the main components of the vehicle that is roughly half the average age of every other car on the road. You could argue that this stock has never been driven by fundamentals, but by overall EV enthusiasm and social media platforms. Just think about this, Tesla's stock was up 743% in 2020. That's just insane. AIt really doesn't seem to matter though, as the brand has a cult-like following, a CEO that is truly incredibly smart but also very quick to tweet, and a majority positive outlook on social media. I think people tend to think that I dislike Tesla, and I really don't. I wouldn't buy one of their cars, sure, but they're a homegrown company that is innovating a great deal in the automotive industry. However, I do think they are an exceptionally overbought company and their growth is not sustainable. I don't think Elon was lying when he said that Tesla's stock price was too high.

I dont think CCIV lucid is worth anywhere near what people are dumping into the stock. They, eventually, will try to sell a $169,000 sedan that goes really fast. Who the (expletive) cares? You can get a fast Tesla and use its supercharging network. You can get a fast whatever else. People do not need 10 second sedans at all. Totally stupid.

At least with Tesla you have Lord Elon and his supercharging network.

So Tesla is going to become a niche market for “mid sized luxury cars”. That’s their play. Meanwhile Toyota, Volkswagen and General Motors will provide cars for the masses including electrics. Besides I thought the Model 3 was supposed to become the Tesla for Everyman, clearly not the case.

Back