Tesla stock suffers biggest-ever drop

I'm gonna buy... It was about $90 in Jan now it's $330. Not too shabby. It was $72 at the dip. $43 is the 52 week low.

I sold my shares when it hit $1k. Told myself I’d re-buy if it ever reached $300 again. Welp, here we are...

I knew all along that Tesla was over valued.

Currently, yes. Long term, TBD...

The entire market is overpriced. It has been for a few years. Im sure its a well-timed approach to manipulate and affect future events. Most folks know/realize that the economy has a natural cyclic behavior to it, no different than the seasons of the year.

Tesla, IMO was overpriced given the lack of industrial might, compared to the valuation of say, a real major automaker with far more lines of vehicles and more industrial capability. Tesla is based upon some vanity of a luxury product and valuation of a software approach. But all of that is for now. As they build more lines of vehicles, and keep building factories, theyll have more basis for valuation. Im still not a believer on the long-term prospects based upon a backlog of orders and current sales. But that has been discussed elsewhere.

I think that TSLA will have a good deal further to fall when the market corrects, and/or the economy contracts. I suspect we will see some sort of recession over the next year or three, be it due to the deep state, natural cycles, or man-made events. It just tends to happen on a cyclic basis. Its not easy to try to pick the bottom, but TSLA will probably be a better buy in the future, IMO. And if its not, Im dollar cost averaging it as part of index funds.

New Constructs CEO David Trainer calls Tesla the most dangerous stock on Wall Street and says the fundamentals do not support such a high price and valuation.

“Whatever best-case scenario you want to paint for what Tesla’s going to do – whether they’re going to produce 30 million cars within the next 10 years, and get in the insurance business and have the same high margins as Toyota, the most efficient car company with scale of all-time – even if you do believe all that is true, the stock price is still implying that profits are going to be even bigger than that,”

Tesla trades at 159 times forward earnings

Currently, yes. Long term, TBD...

The entire market is overpriced. It has been for a few years. Im sure its a well-timed approach to manipulate and affect future events. Most folks know/realize that the economy has a natural cyclic behavior to it, no different than the seasons of the year.

Tesla, IMO was overpriced given the lack of industrial might, compared to the valuation of say, a real major automaker with far more lines of vehicles and more industrial capability. Tesla is based upon some vanity of a luxury product and valuation of a software approach. But all of that is for now. As they build more lines of vehicles, and keep building factories, theyll have more basis for valuation. Im still not a believer on the long-term prospects based upon a backlog of orders and current sales. But that has been discussed elsewhere.

I think that TSLA will have a good deal further to fall when the market corrects, and/or the economy contracts. I suspect we will see some sort of recession over the next year or three, be it due to the deep state, natural cycles, or man-made events. It just tends to happen on a cyclic basis. Its not easy to try to pick the bottom, but TSLA will probably be a better buy in the future, IMO. And if its not, Im dollar cost averaging it as part of index funds.

Well said....pretty much spot on from what I was thinking. Tough part will be trying to figure out when to buy.......

Patience! TSLA will shed that other $40 soon enough. It’s still only Tuesday.
I would not be surprised to see it go up or down at least $40 tomorrow alone. It is a stock hotter than a tesla battery pack post collision. I might be the only investor not playing Tesla somehow.

Tesla Q2 2020 sales 36,800 down 31 pct from one year ago

Toyota Q2 sales: 347,571

Subaru Q2 sales: 136,519

Buick Q2 sales: 35,521

Tesla is as popular as... Buick.

Or in other words, Toyota fell 35.6% in Q2 vs 2019, and Subaru fell 25.3%. Of course Tesla doesn’t sell nearly as many units as Toyota or Subaru. Tesla has one single plant in California, which was shut down for ~7 weeks, Toyota has 6 plants in the US alone.

Saw that Tesla was valued at more than all the European car makers combined!!! It took me back to the dot.com days when, if I remember correctly, a company called Pajamas.com was valued at more then some Fortune 500 companies.

I am not surprised by the drop. Nor am I worried. Tesla just raised $5 billion in about 2 days with it's shares at an all time high. They will use that $5 billion to increase production and build new plants in record time. We also have Investor/Battery Day coming up on Sept. 22nd and 3rd Quarter results a couple weeks after that.
My predictions, offered entirely free of charge and worth what you paid for them is that TSLA stock will begin another uphill climb upon the announcements at Investor/Battery Day and the posting of favorable Q3 figures, and TSLA will be added to the S&P 500 by the end of the year. It will be back over $500 a share without much trouble.

Oh, and regarding Tesla's sales vs. Toyota and Subaru; The Model 3 outsold the Toyota Camry in California last quarter, the largest market in the country and was also the best selling vehicle in its class. The Berlin factory, once fully ramped up will be producing Teslas to meet a very high European market demand and if they build another factory in India to meet that country's demand it will be another dominating factor.

If you are in it for the short term, you have cause to worry. If you are holding until at least 2022 my guess is that you will feel smug in your decision and pleased with your portfolio.

Don't forget that Tesla has several other sources of revenue stream at high margins in the works. They are not just a car company, unlike all of their competition in the automobile market. Those factors will also contribute to their worth and is why the big financial analysts who get it still think TSLA will be worth $1500 (post stock split corrected) by 2024.

Being added to the S&P 500 requires more than just being valuable. There is a list of criteria and certain limitations on company sectors. Tesla didn’t fit. Maybe in the future.

I think Tesla had about 90k deliveries in Q2. No way they only sold as much as buick.

And TSLA is up almost 11% today at end of trading.

My understanding is that TSLA did in fact meet all the criteria for S&P 500 inclusion although that still doesn't guarantee that the committee that makes the choices will add any company that qualifies. But historically, the S&P has added new companies several weeks apart during the new inclusion periods so there is nothing preventing the committee from adding TSLA in the next couple of weeks. Or during the next period.
We'll see.

Last edited:
Back