Tesla stock suffers biggest-ever drop

My theory is battery day is over hyped. AAPL went down today because they didn't say one word about the new phones. Great products in watches, tablets, and services coming but no phone = sell off. That is why i would move tesla share value to AAPL today. Catch AAPL gain, sell apple back into a more stabilized lower price TSLA in the future. All speculative of course!

My theory is battery day is over hyped. AAPL went down today because they didn't say one word about the new phones. Great products in watches, tablets, and services coming but no phone = sell off. That is why i would move tesla share value to AAPL today. Catch AAPL gain, sell apple back into a more stabilized lower price TSLA in the future. All speculative of course!
Playing the highs and lows is a recipe for disaster. Sure, quick money is nice, but long term money can be a gold mine.
I may consider selling if it hits $100 over my buying price of $381. I am willing to bet Battery Day does just that. Probably before.
The market seems to disagree with your thoughts on Battery Day... Who knows?

Look, Berlin and Austin will be in production in about a year.
The Germans love the Model 3. Nobody challenges BMW and MB in their own backyard...
The Semi and Cybertruck (yuck) are coming.
If Tesla can build a $20K car they won't be able to build 'em fast enough. This is dependent on new battery technology. If Tesla pulls this off, the ramifications go far beyond cars.

TSLA slumped when the S&P Committee picked other companies. But as usual, Tesla keeps overcoming issues and bounces back. Those issues include their own mistakes, outside issues and perceived issues from the naysayers.

Just my 2 cents; your results may vary. Sure wish I had bought earlier. Dang that hindsight!

Wow, just realized, this thread is only a week old. Started about Tesla going way down (331) now we hit the $460s as a day high. Nearly a 40% swing in a week. Tesla is such a wild stallion of a stock.

Wow, just realized, this thread is only a week old. Started about Tesla going way down (331) now we hit the $460s as a day high. Nearly a 40% swing in a week. Tesla is such a wild stallion of a stock.
You are making my case. The S&P snub was a blip on the radar.
Welcome to the roller coaster!
All good.

iPhones are yesterday’s news. Apple makes a billion dollars a week just from their App Store. Health and Fitness are their upcoming targets.

Yup a week old and the OP left the reservation.

I’m not going anywhere. If you guys want to continue to chat without me though be my guest. I don’t claim to own the thread.

The car maker Tesla is ranked #18 in US car sales by brand in Q2 2020. 18 from the top. Showing no sign of gaining on the other 17 either.

PE Ratio (TTM) 1,165.18
EPS (TTM) 0.39

I’m not going anywhere. If you guys want to continue to chat without me though be my guest. I don’t claim to own the thread.

The car maker Tesla is ranked #18 in US car sales by brand in Q2 2020. 18 from the top. Showing no sign of gaining on the other 17 either.

PE Ratio (TTM) 1,165.18
EPS (TTM) 0.39

Yet it's the most valuable automaker on the planet.

Considering they went from not a player at all to # 18 in 10 years I dont think its accurate to say they show no signs of gaining on the other 17.

Yet it's the most valuable automaker on the planet.

Yes the most valuable automaker "in stock market capitalization", however with no basis for it that is based on profits, earnings per share, or market share. And that is just a complete disconnect from reality. They recently passed Buick by a nose, but of course they are not even an automaker just a dwindling marque of GM.

Tesla is basically a vampire company. They make no profit on cars and depend on the carbon credit scheme to get their fangs into other, productive companies' cash flow. Take that away and their stock price would probably become zero pretty quickly.

Reactions: wdn
Yes the most valuable automaker "in stock market capitalization", however with no basis for it that is based on profits, earnings per share, or market share. And that is just a complete disconnect from reality. They recently passed Buick by a nose, but of course they are not even an automaker just a dwindling marque of GM.

The valuation is a fact, perhaps there are other factors Wall Street assigns to them make it so?

There are all kinds of market comparisons that can be made, the Buick comparison you mention is one way to look at it.

Perhaps a more meaningful comparison is that the model 3 outsells every BMW auto combined in the US.

The model 3 also completely dominates its segment of midsized luxury cars.

Both feats were deemed impossible just a few years ago.

Tesla is basically a vampire company. They make no profit on cars and depend on the carbon credit scheme to get their fangs into other, productive companies' cash flow. Take that away and their stock price would probably become zero pretty quickly.

Every manufacturer can go after the same carbon credits.

I thought this thread was about stock price.
Comparing Tesla with car companies like Ford, GM, etc is hard to do.
Tesla is an pure play EV company, others do not even break out profitability for their EV business.
You can look at stock performance over time; the others have a flat curve while Tesla has off the charts movement.

It is odd to me why people seem to want Tesla to fail. Champion every stumble, real or perceived.
They have added a huge boon to Silicon Valley, provided good jobs for thousands. After GM and Toyota shuttered NUMMI.
Heck, Ford's Mustang plant in Milpitas is now a shopping center.

If someone thinks so little of these cars, name another company that is challenging the Germans in their own back yard.
All good.

Carbon credits is a valid argument. They will soon be gone for tesla as other manufacturers roll out their own EVs and claim their own credits. Tesla just needs to improve cost of goods sold before the credits are gone and they can remain profitable. They already do a lot, like have lots of parts made in china then assembled here. The interior is almost nothing.

Can tesla match the production quality and cost of goods sold as Volkswagen for example? I dont think so. Paint body fit finish and all that is literally better than tesla for a golf sold in the 20k range.

Perhaps a more meaningful comparison is that the model 3 outsells every BMW auto combined in the US.

BMW is #15 in US car sales; Tesla is #18. So no, Tesla model 3 does not outsell the entire BMW brand. Or by "every BMW auto combined" do you mean 'BMW sedans' and excluding the whole line of BMW SUVs?

Back