Terry, any update on the Amsoil EaO oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote from 5 months back:

Terry

Dyson Analysis
Member # 9

posted July 15, 2006 09:37 PMJuly 15, 2006 11:37 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a recent oil filter performance observation using Amsoil Nanofiber oil filters. Pablo, Ted, and Michael feel free to pipe in on this.

For DysonAnalysis customers I seek constant unrestricted filtering/infrequent bypass, and long term use of the full flow filter. I generally try to avoid using parasitic bypass filters for smaller sump units, including smaller pickup truck
and VW type(TDI) diesels.

Many customers are running K&N full flow oil filters and that filter is accomplishing the goals above pretty well. However I have never observed it to filter down to nanoscale level. 0.2 -1.0 um ( micron). The Amsoil fiber media are 40 -2000 nanometers thus they can accomplish this feat and still flow oil at constant design volume levels. A unique layered spiderweb media design seems to contribute to the capability too.

Recent used oil analysis reports we generated may show that capability in the real world. I have asked for permission to post an analysis result that could reflect this effect.

What is more dramatic is that the filter is becoming more efficient as mileage is racked up( at 15000 or so now on the Series 2000 0w30 oil and EaO oil filter)with no oil flow degredation, noted by the user.

Thinner oils contribute to less bypass with most of the available full flow filters mentioned here but the Amsoil offering may be a major step ahead in filtering technology and virtually eliminate the need for bypass filters in smaller sump diesel and gasoline applications.

Reference filter test data derived from the article "Nanofiber-based oil filters for diesel engines" by Dr. Neil Cantor, from Tribology&Lubrication Technology June 2006.

Oil analysis reference data generated by Terry Dyson, DysonAnalysis.

More when I have permission to share.

In the meantime we are suggesting our valued customers use K&N and Amsoil EaO full flow filters if available.

Terry

For now I am light on what I can share to PROVE what I theorize.

Let me put it this way, if EaO is made for your car use it. Use it longer than normal, at LEAST double the normal oil change interval. Make it work for YOU and provide value.

Back any changes to your normal regimen with high quality oil analysis testing.

TD

I've used these filters the last two times I've changed my oil. I'm having my oil changed Monday. Would you suggest reusing the filter as opposed to changing it? I was going to put on a Mobil1 M1-301 because I haven't bought anymore of the EaO filters. The EaO15 that's on my Jeep right now is getting close to having 8,000 miles on it.

The thing i don't like about Amsoil's EaO oil filters
is the center core,,it looks to restrictive compared to
like a WIX or AC witch has nice big holes vs little slots
like the EaO has..

Quote:

I've used these filters the last two times I've changed my oil. I'm having my oil changed Monday. Would you suggest reusing the filter as opposed to changing it? I was going to put on a Mobil1 M1-301 because I haven't bought anymore of the EaO filters. The EaO15 that's on my Jeep right now is getting close to having 8,000 miles on it.

I would keep it in if 8k is accumulated in about 6 months.

Alright. It's probably been 6-8 months. I've never done it before, but I'm going to reuse my existing filter. I'm also switching oils from S3K Amsoil to GC. We'll see what happens. At the very least, I'll be saving the 10-12 bucks I would have spent on a new Mobil 1 filter.

Quote:

The thing i don't like about Amsoil's EaO oil filters
is the center core,,it looks to restrictive compared to
like a WIX or AC witch has nice big holes vs little slots
like the EaO has..

In my case I like the open center core because my intake is buried under the passenger side fender right behind the bumper cover. I get air thru the sides but I also cut a 2 1/2" hole thru the bumper cover and put in a screen and now I get air blasting right thru the filter. I am using the universal EaAU Air Induction Filter #3560.

I'm still planning to reuse my EaO filter when I have my oil changed tonight, but doing a $20.00-$30.00 oil analysis every time I change my oil kind of offsets the value of saving 10 bucks on a new filter. I'm thinking I'll have two more analyses done to determine:

1. whether my AEM Replacement air intake filter is working better than the old K&N

2. whether reusing this, or any, oil filter is a good idea

3. whether GC will give me better results than the Amsoil I've been running in the past.

Quote:

Alright. It's probably been 6-8 months. I've never done it before, but I'm going to reuse my existing filter. I'm also switching oils from S3K Amsoil to GC. We'll see what happens. At the very least, I'll be saving the 10-12 bucks I would have spent on a new Mobil 1 filter.

Amsoil recommend changing EaO filters at 12 month intervals v 6 months for bog standard cellulose filters.

It's down to whether you will be using your EaO filter for over 12 months. If so, I would replace it now.

It looks like I last changed my oil on 06/29, which is when this filter would have been installed. I doubt that I will run this change longer than 5-6 more months. Hopefully it will hold up and continue to offer some filtering capacity. We'll see what happens.

I wonder how much difference can there be between the Amsoil and Donaldson filtering material? The Donaldson material is well proven and is designed for the longer drain intervals in the class 8 market " semi trucks and such" I wouldn't expect any super benefit for a 5,000 mile oil change interval though.

Quote:

I wonder how much difference can there be between the Amsoil and Donaldson filtering material?

I read somewhere on this forum, that Amsoil actually buys their EaO filter media (in bulk) from Donaldson, and uses that media to make their EaO filter line. If so (and I only know that "fact" because of a previous BITOG post, so it's only as accurate as that previous post), than the filter media should be identical between the Amsoil EaO filters and the higher end Donaldson filters.

Which makes which one you choose a matter of what size/shape each company sells their filters in, and which is more "cost effective" to purchase. From what I can tell, Donaldson is mostly higher end "bigger" bypass filter type setups (i.e. their target market appears to be large industrial trucks). I'm sure their filters work well for that purpose, but I didn't see much on Donaldson's website about direct replacement "full flow" filters for common cars and light trucks that many families own. OTOH while Amsoil may buy their filter media from Donaldson in bulk, they then use that filter media to make their EaO filters in sizes/shapes that Donaldson doesn't seem interested in making filters for. For example, I can easily find an Amsoil EaO "full flow" (direct replacement spin on) filter for my Honda Civic, however I'm unaware of any Donaldson offering that would work for that job. Yes, you can easily get some Donaldson filter that would work well for filtering the oil, but the fittings would require some additional "plumbing" in the car. However, in the case of the EaO filter, it is just a very high quality "direct replacement" for the car's OEM "full flow" filter, and "spins on" just as easily as any other OEM filter would...

We have been using the DONALDSON P169071 Endurance filter in our JEEPS and DODGE truck for several years now. Son just found a south Lousiana stock priced less than the $15+ per filter that STEWART & STEVENSON is charging locally.

The filter is the 3/4-16 thread FL-1/PH8A size. But in a spec that exceeds the MOBIL ONE, K&N, WIX premium offerings.

DONALDSON tried, years ago (about ten) to market their slick-dad filters under the name Hard Driver but the effort lost traction quickly. Price, I imagine. I used a few on some tow vehicles, but wish I'd known how good they were so as to have stocked up. See old threads on this forum.

The media may have changed, the Endurance media may not be what Terry indicates is the EaO media (haven't read all threads on this new filter line; wonder, too, if it isn't Endurance ), but the coincidence wouldn't surprise me.

Terry's word works for me. The DODGE truck I have may be replaced this coming year, if so, then the next vehicle will be outfitted with an EaO piece if available.

Hmm...I was under the impression that WIX is now making Amsoil filters
confused.gif
Maybe it's limited to the BE line
dunno.gif

Quote:

however I'm unaware of any Donaldson offering that would work for that job. Yes, you can easily get some Donaldson filter that would work well for filtering the oil, but the fittings would require some additional "plumbing" in the car. However, in the case of the EaO filter, it is just a very high quality "direct replacement" for the car's OEM "full flow" filter, and "spins on" just as easily as any other OEM filter would...

Hmm ..I find this curious. I've frequented the Donalson site for a few years and have found them producing more asian based filters then any other producer I know of. plug your numbers in here.

I'm 2 for 2 with a 99 and 02 Civics for filters from Donaldson
confused.gif
They may not be the Synteq® media ..but ..
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back