Tell me about Accord CVT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: dlayman
I would have concerns. Honda hasn't been doing well lately with first year models. They've always struggled a bit in that area, but not like now. And why in the world does a mid-size sedan need a 10 speed transmission? Lots of added complexity and shifting for very little if any benefit. I hate the direction Honda is going lately with most of its vehicles.

Honda was never all that great. Rose colored glasses and being told how great they are tends to make people gloss over things. They rarely have done a great automatic. Even their engines have had their fair share of issues.

I'd shop elsewhere.

The majority of their products are well above average in reliability. They had a poor run of autos in the late 1990's - early 2000's, but overall their transmissions are pretty rock solid.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: itguy08
I would have concerns. Honda hasn't been doing well lately with first year models. They've always struggled a bit in that area, but not like now. And why in the world does a mid-size sedan need a 10 speed transmission? Lots of added complexity and shifting for very little if any benefit. I hate the direction Honda is going lately with most of its vehicles.

Honda was never all that great. Rose colored glasses and being told how great they are tends to make people gloss over things. They rarely have done a great automatic. Even their engines have had their fair share of issues.

I'd shop elsewhere.

The majority of their products are well above average in reliability. They had a poor run of autos in the late 1990's - early 2000's, but overall their transmissions are pretty rock solid.

Buick always beats them.

My Honda CVT has been impressive but I do prefer "ECO" mode on the I because it will hold the rpm's and dig it's way out from 75 to 95 on a 3/4 throttle, very cool, if not for 'ECO' it would downshift and blair.

I'm thinking more modes would be nice to match conditions to your style.

Right. Eco mode slows throttle response and doesn't downshift as dramatically as normal mode. For quicker response switch eco mode off.

And why in the world does a mid-size sedan need a 10 speed transmission? Lots of added complexity and shifting for very little if any benefit.

Couldn't that be said for any of the vehicles? Small, mid, large? Just get a bigger engine with a flat torque curve.

But that's the trend. More gears, more fine tuning of the engine rpm relative to vehicle speed and power requested.

Like everyone else I'll be curious how these 10 speeds work out. But if I'm not mistaken, six speeds seem to be well proven; 8 speeds are starting to come out in numbers and seem to be holding their own. Maybe 10 will do likewise. With tight engine/trans integration it should be trivial to dial engine power back on each and every shift, thus leading to long transmission life. Heck, by doing so I have to wonder if lifetime fluid fills might be possible. Get early torque convertor lockup (to keep temps reasonable), limit clutch slippage during shifts, and then I wonder if the fluid will be all the more apt to go the distance.

Speaking of which: is this 10 speed a true Honda automatic? Or is it outsourced?

OP: Honda's CVT is widely accepted as one of the best performing (for a CVT) and most livable as far as quirks that some have. Press reviews will reveal that. After years of data and making iterative improvements I'd say it's now as solid a bet as anything in a FWD car provided its taken care of.

Originally Posted By: supton
Speaking of which: is this 10 speed a true Honda automatic? Or is it outsourced?

Nevermind, in a different thread it sounds like an inhouse unit.

Originally Posted By: supton
And why in the world does a mid-size sedan need a 10 speed transmission? Lots of added complexity and shifting for very little if any benefit.

Couldn't that be said for any of the vehicles? Small, mid, large? Just get a bigger engine with a flat torque curve.

But that's the trend. More gears, more fine tuning of the engine rpm relative to vehicle speed and power requested.

Like everyone else I'll be curious how these 10 speeds work out. But if I'm not mistaken, six speeds seem to be well proven; 8 speeds are starting to come out in numbers and seem to be holding their own. Maybe 10 will do likewise. With tight engine/trans integration it should be trivial to dial engine power back on each and every shift, thus leading to long transmission life. Heck, by doing so I have to wonder if lifetime fluid fills might be possible. Get early torque convertor lockup (to keep temps reasonable), limit clutch slippage during shifts, and then I wonder if the fluid will be all the more apt to go the distance.

The 10 speed will be a true Honda automatic. Someone implied earlier that the '18 Accord will use it exclusively, it will use the 10 speed with a 2.0T engine but the CVT will still be the primary trans with the 1.5T.
http://hondanews.com/releases/honda-inve...ed-transmission

http://wardsauto.com/technology/honda-details-front-engine-front-wheel-drive-10at-odyssey

I imagine that if Honda was dumping the CVT they wouldn't still be offering it in the 1.5 turbo. I'm just going to keep my fluid fresh and drive the car till the cows come home!

Honda has a history of having automatic transmission reliability/durability problems, this has been particularly true for the first 2-3 years after introducing new transmission models. This is the worst and most common Honda complaint listed on http://www.carcomplaints.com. CVT automatics have been around for quite a while now and some manufacturers have had good luck with them, but the CVT is relatively new for Honda, so I would personally be very suspicious of it.

Last edited:
Honda's current CVT architecture has been around in mass production for 5+ years and has been doing pretty well for them, all things considered. I would be suspicious of a used MY '13 vehicle, for example, but not a new(er) one, particularly one under warranty.

I don't have any direct experience with Honda's late model CVTs, nor have I read much about them. That's probably a good thing! I'm still not sure if it's a 100% Honda unit like their other ATs, of if it's built for them by Jatco or Aisin. The nice thing is they are easily DIY serviceable if that's important to you. Either way, if it's a vehicle in this class you're after, you've got lots of great choices.

Good thing about Honda is, you could purchase a Honda care warranty to cover you to 120K miles pretty reasonably online or over the phone if that's a concern for you.

Honda manufactures their own CVTs.
Honda has actually used CVT automatics since the 1990's (in low volume), first in the Civic HX and then later in the Civic Hybrid, and they did have problems with them in both cars. Then, their was the big 2015 recall of 14-15 Civics with CVTs because of an internal mechanical durability issue.
The CVT used in the Accord is a newer design and it is Honda's first use of a CVT in a heavier car with a more powerful engine. The jury is still out on it's long-term reliability/durability, but there are already complaints coming in on 2013 CVTs.
At this point in their development, CVTs still appear to be a lighter-duty transmission and have trouble coping with higher power and weight. Notice that most of the vehicles using them today are lighter-weight lower-power vehicles, the notable exception being the 2013 and up Nissan Pathfinder, and it has had major problems with it's CVT. Toyota (Aisin) seems to have the best handle on the power/weight issue at this point.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wag123
Honda manufactures their own CVTs...was the big 2015 recall of 14-15 Civics with CVTs because of an internal mechanical durability issue...

I have a 2014 Civic and the recall was just having the software for the CVT updated. It acted very different after the update. Just wanted to clarify as the way you stated it made it seem like we all got new units.

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
Originally Posted By: wag123
Honda manufactures their own CVTs...was the big 2015 recall of 14-15 Civics with CVTs because of an internal mechanical durability issue...

I have a 2014 Civic and the recall was just having the software for the CVT updated. It acted very different after the update. Just wanted to clarify as the way you stated it made it seem like we all got new units.

Yes, they just reprogrammed the CVT control software. They did not repair the defect. This is "typical" Honda.
From the Honda recall notice... Affected vehicles have CVT control software that is written to use high hydraulic pressure during certain CVT operation modes, which as a result may subject the drive pulley shaft to high stress. In addition, during manufacturing of the drive pulley shaft, some parts may have been produced at the low end of the hardness specification. If shafts with lower hardness are repeatedly subjected to the specific high hydraulic pressure modes, it may result in the shaft breaking during operation.

Well, I steered my son away from the Accord with a CVT. To a 2017 Toyota Camry SE 6 speed auto with port injection. And 3k cash back. The main drawback, as I saw it and he did also, was a test drive in both. And the CVT was a fail in his eyes. The 6 speed auto felt like a "normal" transmission. We both felt the Toyota was a proven product. No direct injection, no CVT, so he felt better spending his money with Toyota. And no, I am not on Toyota's payroll, I don't own one. Another son owns a 2014 Accord Sport with a CVT. The one thing he complains about is the CVT. Just feels sluggish, he claims. I don't like driving it at all, but then again look at my sig, I like manual trans. After driving both the Honda Accord and Camry, I would not hesitate to buy a 2017 Camry 6 speed automatic over a 2017 Accord with a CVT. And that's leaving direct injection out of the mix.

the Accords are edgier better fuel and performance.. Camry's give up a bit to offer durability and that rock solid softer but planted feel....both good but different.

Looks are subjective, but the Accord has a better, sportier look to it IMO. They come standard with aluminum wheels where the Camry LE does not. Although those 16" steelies with plastic wheel covers do ride nice and cushy!

Originally Posted By: sasilverbullet
I have a 2014 Civic and the recall was just having the software for the CVT updated. It acted very different after the update.

Strange. I had my '15 Accord Sport CVT updated and it felt exactly the same afterward. The service guy said the programming only affected how it worked at highway cruising speed under light load so I wouldn't notice anything different around town. I guess he was right.

My stepdad has a '15 Accord Sport. At first he didn't like the transmission (his first CVT) but now he thinks its fine after learning how to adapt his driving style to the way it operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back