Tell me about 1-stage snow blowers

Very pleased with the Toro single stage I bought last year. I prefer the 4-cycle (I like engines with oil that needs to be changed, hence why I'm on this site). I agree with others that it almost throws the snow too far. I'm on a tight lot and have to put the snow in specific places, and it can be tricky. BUT, much easier than lugging a bigger machine around - I have to go up and down stairs, and MUCH better than shoveling.

Single stage is ok for light snow. I live on a main Street into the subdivision and I the snow plows always come by and block us in.

Sold my ariens single stage and went with a craftsman 2 stage.

I guess I'd only want to go back to a 2 stage when I cannot push a 2 stage.

For most snows (under 8 inches) I will take my 2 cycle Toro anyday over my two stage which is a larger Craftsman. It never clogs, shoots the snow farther and I can get the job done faster. I spend too much time unclogging my two stage.

Reactions: JC1
If the Ariens with real drive wheels is getting too heavy forget about the single stage that you basically have to push yourself. Those paddles really do not ''pull'' it along. I use a electric single to clear my deck but on the ground nothing beats my 8hp Ariens especially when chewing through that plow mound that's loaded with sand and salt. I had a 5hp Craftsman that would clog with wet snow all the time, nothing fazes the Ariens.
Have a 8hp MTD (same mfgr.as the Craftsman) at my camp in the lake affect zone in the ADK's and it's fine there as it's a dryer snow.
Ariens is a heavy machine for sure but it's quality is way better than the lighter MTD stuff not to mention it blows snow a good 10' farther.
I installed a set of those plastic skids on the front of the Ariens, yes they wear faster than the steel ones but makes turning easier.

For most snows (under 8 inches) I will take my 2 cycle Toro anyday over my two stage which is a larger Craftsman. It never clogs, shoots the snow farther and I can get the job done faster. I spend too much time unclogging my two stage.

My good ole Yardman will clog if the snow is wet and heavy. I finally got tired of it and was going to buy a new unit when I came across a YouTube hack... Side note there are several videos out there. I picked this one for no specific reason. Now my 16 year old 8hp machine throws WATER and SLUSH!!! Check out this link, again there are several out there. I went to my local repair place and picked up used single stage paddles for pennies and some self tapping screws and washers. I fixed my blower for under $10.

Just my $0.02

Thanks for all of the insights. I'm now second guessing a single stage blower. My current Ariens 8526 weights 260 pounds. I could get a new Ariens Compact 24 with Auto turn. So turning would be easier and the machine weights 187 pounds. I don't know how these auto turning blowers work, but if they work, that would solve my problem of struggling to turn with both wheels driving. And 70 less pounds is significant.

I'll try to look at both types this week.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Reactions: JC1
My good ole Yardman will clog if the snow is wet and heavy. I finally got tired of it and was going to buy a new unit when I came across a YouTube hack... Side note there are several videos out there. I picked this one for no specific reason. Now my 16 year old 8hp machine throws WATER and SLUSH!!! Check out this link, again there are several out there. I went to my local repair place and picked up used single stage paddles for pennies and some self tapping screws and washers. I fixed my blower for under $10.

Just my $0.02

I did the same thing using old bicycle tires and self tapping screws makes a huge difference.

I'm the OP. I went down to Lowes this morning just to look at some Ariens 24" two stage blowers. Liked what I saw and got a feel for the weight. I ended up ordering one. I got the Ariens Compact 24 with the Auto turn. It weighs 187 pounds, has 15 inch wheels and was $999. Lowes will put it together and the manager who i was dealing with waived the delivery charge. Now even though this is a big box store, I'm buying the same exact model that I was looking at on Ariens web site. Not Lowes web site, but Ariens website. So it should be first quality.

This will be smaller and lighter than what I have now, but that's what I want. I'm not getting any younger. No blower will be perfect, but I think this will meet my needs.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. It helped me make my decision.

Excellent choice. What will you do with your old snow blower?

I try to always buy from my local OPE shop. I've heard they tend to bump you ahead in line, provide better service when needed, etc., for those who purchase from them.

Excellent choice. What will you do with your old snow blower?

I try to always buy from my local OPE shop. I've heard they tend to bump you ahead in line, provide better service when needed, etc., for those who purchase from them.
I'll try to sell the old one. I'll have my wife put it on FB marketplace.

I too prefer to support the small business guy, but the last two times I went to a small equipment place, because of covid, I couldn't even go in the building. So even though I was just going to look and play today at Lowes, the manager was extremely helpful and was waiving the delivery, so I couldn't pass it up.

I am in Minnesota, so we get some snow. I have owned 2 different 2 stages, an old Montgomery Ward 7 hp and a smaller Sears 5 hp. I definitely preferred the Sears. Couple years back I switched to Toro single stages, a small two stroke and now, a larger, 6 hp 4 stoke. I would never go back, these single stages are pretty decent. Very easy to handle. The blade does propel the blower and last for years, like probably 5-8 minimum. The only time they may let you down is when you get the super wet heavy snow at the end of the driveway. And I have to disagree with the guys that claim they can only handle a few inches. I have cleared out 12" of snow with these just fine.

If the Ariens with real drive wheels is getting too heavy forget about the single stage that you basically have to push yourself. Those paddles really do not ''pull'' it along. I use a electric single to clear my deck but on the ground nothing beats my 8hp Ariens especially when chewing through that plow mound that's loaded with sand and salt. I had a 5hp Craftsman that would clog with wet snow all the time, nothing fazes the Ariens.
Have a 8hp MTD (same mfgr.as the Craftsman) at my camp in the lake affect zone in the ADK's and it's fine there as it's a dryer snow.
Ariens is a heavy machine for sure but it's quality is way better than the lighter MTD stuff not to mention it blows snow a good 10' farther.
I installed a set of those plastic skids on the front of the Ariens, yes they wear faster than the steel ones but makes turning easier.
The paddles should be pulling it along. If not, you probably have worn paddles. Mine will pull so hard I have to lift the front a bit to slow it down.

Just to add about getting service if needed, having bought from the small business would be advantageous. But my current 10 year old Ariens has never needed anything. (Knocks on wood) Hopefully the new machine will be trouble free. I'm in southern Pa. so we get snow but not usually great quantities.

The large apartment complex I lived in for several years had a professional crew that came during snowstorms. More than once I watched them give up on large snowblowers opting for the smaller snappers. I was shocked how they didn't bog down, clog, and how far they could throw snow. They showed them no mercy. Used them for hours. Probably took longer but they did a nice job. If I were to get one it would be the snapper for sure.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

My father in-law (in his mid 60's) has a Cub Cadet 2 stage with power steering. This is much easier for him to man handle. You may want to look at one of these. Another option is a tracked unit with power steering. They tend to be more stable than rubber tired units.

If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow a single stage will be a bigger PITA than man handling the 2 stage. All my neighbors have single stage units and they work good with small amounts of snow. I know in eastern Iowa if we get more than about 2" or 3" of snow I get to do a lot of driveways with my reliable Yardman 2 stage.

Just my $0.02
bah....my toro 1stage can do up to 7-8i nches no problem....so easy to use compared to my previous 2 stage..

Also in Minnesota, and my driveway is relatively small at 3 cars wide and maybe 40 feet long. I stick with only a single stage blowers as they can handle just about everything and I'd rather not store a larger machine. I just know that on the rare occasion that we are getting a ton of snow, I may not be able to wait until the storm is over to go out.

I generally shovel anything 4" or less for exercise, so I only use the blower a handful of times per winter anyway.

Also in Minnesota, and my driveway is relatively small at 3 cars wide and maybe 40 feet long. I stick with only a single stage blowers as they can handle just about everything and I'd rather not store a larger machine. I just know that on the rare occasion that we are getting a ton of snow, I may not be able to wait until the storm is over to go out.

I generally shovel anything 4" or less for exercise, so I only use the blower a handful of times per winter anyway.

Food for thought... The wife or I will shovel the driveway if the snow is light and about a couple inches, but I never shovel it onto the grass. I always get the blower out and blast it across the yard. This does a couple things.
1. it helps create a crust to keep the snow from blowing around next to the driveway.​
2. you avoid the mound of snow at the edge of the driveway that create a natural "snow fence" and aids with the drifting back into your driveway.​

Just my $0.02

I'm the OP. I went down to Lowes this morning just to look at some Ariens 24" two stage blowers. Liked what I saw and got a feel for the weight. I ended up ordering one. I got the Ariens Compact 24 with the Auto turn. It weighs 187 pounds, has 15 inch wheels and was $999. Lowes will put it together and the manager who i was dealing with waived the delivery charge. Now even though this is a big box store, I'm buying the same exact model that I was looking at on Ariens web site. Not Lowes web site, but Ariens website. So it should be first quality.

This will be smaller and lighter than what I have now, but that's what I want. I'm not getting any younger. No blower will be perfect, but I think this will meet my needs.

Thanks to everyone who contributed. It helped me make my decision.
Congratulations on your new machine. Do yourself a favor and buy a replacement spark plug right away, as these machines come equipped with Chinese Torch brand plugs. Get yourself either the NGK BPR6ES copper plug (very good) or the NGK BPR6EIX (the best.) The NGK copper is easily obtained for less that the cost of the OEM plug. Lowe's sells them under the Honda brand name for $1 less than the Torch. Advance Auto sells the NGK Iridium for $8.99 but it's not difficult to score a 20-25% off coupon by simply browsing their website and putting the item in the cart without completing the transaction.

FWIIW - my Ariens Deluxe 24 started sputtering after the first use. I had to clean the plug to get it to start after any length of storage. I put in the NGK BPR6EIX on season #2 and haven't looked back. This is season #5 now.

Congratulations on your new machine. Do yourself a favor and buy a replacement spark plug right away, as these machines come equipped with Chinese Torch brand plugs. Get yourself either the NGK BPR6ES copper plug (very good) or the NGK BPR6EIX (the best.) The NGK copper is easily obtained for less that the cost of the OEM plug. Lowe's sells them under the Honda brand name for $1 less than the Torch. Advance Auto sells the NGK Iridium for $8.99 but it's not difficult to score a 20-25% off coupon by simply browsing their website and putting the item in the cart without completing the transaction.

FWIIW - my Ariens Deluxe 24 started sputtering after the first use. I had to clean the plug to get it to start after any length of storage. I put in the NGK BPR6EIX on season #2 and haven't looked back. This is season #5 now.

I agree find a good plug and never look back! I use E3's from Menard's but any good name brand will work (Champion, NGK, E3 etc...)

Just my $0.02

Yeah single stage blowers are great, but unless you wear spiked snow boots, you'll find yourself slipping around trying to push a single stage through heavier stuff. Remember that not unlike when we shovel, lots of blood moves towards your arms, legs and shoulder muscles to compensate for the strain you're putting on them pushing a blower around (and other hack medical stuff like that). Depending on your heart health though, that might solve your being concerned with which blower to buy. The caretakers at your local cemetery will take care of all your snow removal needs at your new, permanent residence. As we age, that is a major consideration. There is definitely something nice about a blower pulling you around (not with paddles). My next snow blower will be whatever I find on a curb that I like better than what I'm using now. Oh, and the Splitfire and E3 plugs are absolutely guaranteed…guaranteed to cost more than the standard Champion or NGK plugs that do just as good a job. UNLESS, perhaps, you're racing your snow blower at the 24 hours of Le Mans!

Last edited:
Back