Take the time to replace all the studs or just get a new hub?

Two days ago I was putting new brakes on my Pathfinder and when I went to take off the LR wheel one of the lugnuts was missing, then once I got the wheel off I realized the entire stud had somehow sheared off.

I have no idea how long I was driving it with only 4 lugs but I know at one point I had all 5 because I rotated my tires last oil change (and yes, I used a torque wrench and torqued everything to spec and even checked it a couple of days later.)

Yesterday I had to take my back wheels off again and swap the rotors from left to right because I forgot that slotted rotors are directional 😂 and when I took the LR wheel back off another stud broke in half.

Should I take the cheap route and just replace the other 4 studs or is there any chance the hub might be damaged and I should just replace the entire hub?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1653796037103.jpg
    FB_IMG_1653796037103.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 24
  • FB_IMG_1654009983164.jpg
    FB_IMG_1654009983164.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 24
They are likely press-in studs. So, unless the hub stud bore gets damaged, you can just replace the studs.

BTW, those rotors don't look directional, unless you have curved vanes for ventilated rotors. The direction for slots & holes are just for aesthetics, unless, again, you have curved vanes for ventilated rotors. The rear rotor looks pretty thin to be a ventilated rotor.

They are likely press-in studs. So, unless the hub stud bore gets damaged, you can just replace the studs.

BTW, those rotors don't look directional, unless you have curved vanes for ventilated rotors. The direction for slots & holes are just for aesthetics, unless, again, you have curved vanes for ventilated rotors. The rear rotor looks pretty thin to be a ventilated rotor.
They are indeed press-in studs because I already replaced one of them. The vanes weren't directional but I wanted the slots facing the same way. Darned OCD!!!

I wouldn't write off the hub over the studs.
I was just worried about something weird happening like maybe the holes rounding out or something since I've had two break now.

Back