Tactical Flashlights

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tactical lol. Its the indian not the arrow that needs tactics. I think 400 lumens+ and some advice from law enforcement or military is better suited.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
"Tactical" is an over-used word. If you really bought that light to use tactically, in life or death situations, I would caution against that.

If you are going to use it as a general purpose light, it will probably work about as fine as one could expect from a $14 light.

Tactical use lights that I personally use are made by Surefire, Streamlight, Elzetta, and Malkoff devices. $100 and up.

The Surefire brand looks good. I wonder though if the quality is that much better than the J5. J5 800 lm light is $79. It may not mean much,but Joe Gibbs Racing uses the J5 brand. It is of high quality. I have the Vpro 1.

http://www.j5tactical.com/product/j5-732-a/

The equivalent 800 lumen Surefire is $120.

Originally Posted By: andyd
how do I convert a Mag 3d cell to LED?

You will find lots of info and parts here

http://www.ledmag.nl

But honestly, for less money you can get a whole new C8 that will be smaller and brighter than a modded maglite.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Prior law enforcement with lots of training...

Good stuff bubba, thanks for the insight. I was just jerking your chain a bit
grin.gif

I suppose these things are analogous to expensive watches, or top quality tools for DIYers. The average Joe doesn't really need the premium quality but for some folks it's a hobby and that's fine.

The term "tactical" just cracks me up in the context of flashlights that are going to see dog walking or power outage duty. It makes me think of this scene from John Wick 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WR3JuZywbY

jeff

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: andyd
how do I convert a Mag 3d cell to LED?

You will find lots of info and parts here

http://www.ledmag.nl

But honestly, for less money you can get a whole new C8 that will be smaller and brighter than a modded maglite.

Yeah, here's a C8 I was talking about. Takes a couple weeks to get from China, but it's probably right at about 1200 lumens and not that expensive at $15.75-$17.50.

[link removed - wide scrolling]

Last edited by a moderator:
Given my point in life, I'd prefer a "strategic" flashlight rather than tactical...just saying.

We had wolfeyes issued at work for the operators (and everyone else who found the stock-code, LOL).

Be a little careful, as we've had three fires at work...two decent fires that burned themselves out due to good housekeeping, and one exploded, leaving embedded shrapnell on the desk of one of my guys, just as he walked away from his desk for a wee break.

Turns out the wolfeye is an 18650 with built in overcharge protection, and a "dumb" charger.

Stores bought non OEM batteries, with exactly the same part number, but no inbuilt protection...the chargers would charge them to explode...

I got an SE Redline by NEBO. I don't really know much about them but its been fine for what I want up to now.

Originally Posted By: buster
Went with the Fenix PD35.

Cool. Now get yourself some nice 18650 cells and a decent charger, unless you want to keep paying for replacement CR123A batteries.

chinese lumens.
divide by 10.
lots of those $3 lights out there with different names and silly claims.
at the end of the day its still the same $3 light.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I bought one of these about 3 years ago and use it nightly to take the dogs for their walk and it's perfect.

CLICK HERE

Looks good. 8k lumens! Nice...

I have several Mag and Rayovac D cells that are over 20 yrs old. Thy work. The difference between a good flash light that works and one that doesn't is in the switch. Chinese switches don't last. When I need a flash light, I need it to work.

Originally Posted By: kc8adu
chinese lumens.
divide by 10.
lots of those $3 lights out there with different names and silly claims.
at the end of the day its still the same $3 light.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I bought one of these about 3 years ago and use it nightly to take the dogs for their walk and it's perfect.

CLICK HERE

Looks good. 8k lumens! Nice...

I bought one and the battery seperate, sure it it's a $3 flashlight, but a darn good $3 flashlight!. It gets used every night walking the dog, I USB charge it once a week.

Received the Fenix PD35 TAC. It's an amazing little flashlight. Incredibly bright and well made.

The J5 is extremely well built but at 300 lumens doesn't come close to matching the PD35.

I've been using the the Fenix PD35 a lot. It's an incredible value. $70 and it does produce a true 1,000 lumen output. I'm also considering the Convoy QP has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back