Synthetic Oil for Direct injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess would that they'd not be exactly equivalent, or we won't see any more conventional on the shelf in the future with modern specifications. Of course, that could happen down the road, but I doubt everyone involved is ready for that.
wink.gif

When I bought my 2017 Fusion 2.5 NA, I only wanted the PFI to avoid the DI problems. Glad I did. DI seems like tech in reverse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Joeescape63
My new 2018 Subaru Forester has the 2.5L N/A engine.My question is can a synthetic motor oil like Valvoline Advanced Synthetic really make a difference in a direct injection engine with or without a turbo buy cutting down on the deposits or is it marketing hype?Thanks Joe

The new Valvoline has about the same noack as the rest of the synthetics in its category, and worse when compared to itself (10w30). So, the real DI deposit problem isn't addressed there.
As far as LSPI and all that, is it because of the 12:1 (mine) compression ratio? In that case where does my R1 at 12.5:1 stand while using a high Ca Yamalube?

Originally Posted By: tig1
When I bought my 2017 Fusion 2.5 NA, I only wanted the PFI to avoid the DI problems. Glad I did. DI seems like tech in reverse.

Does anyone have any kind of list of port injection engines? I didn't even know anyone is choosing to make them anymore. kudos to ford.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
I suppose a new oil can be both DEXOs 1 Gen 2 and SN+ ?

Yes. The new Valvoline formulations meet both specs and I will guess the other companies have oils that meet both as well.

Originally Posted By: PimTac

Yes. The new Valvoline formulations meet both specs and I will guess the other companies have oils that meet both as well.

XOM just sent me an email that claimed that M1 oils have met SN+ since 2010...is that an implicit admission that those oils have not been heavily reformulated since then?
I'll have to go back and reread more carefully, not sure if this was meant to apply to every M1 oil (very curious about the 0W40s).

I'm still having my fill, no pun, with SN API. It's what;s inside, like Intel. Any guess as to why some formulations work better and it's nothing that is on paper. Exception to the rule, I know but in the quest for the magical elixir in the sky, there is not stopping, right.

I am hoping the design of my 2019 QX50 with the VC Turbo will eliminate these concerns for me. LSPI indeed sounds like a killer.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: PimTac

XOM just sent me an email that claimed that M1 oils have met SN+ since 2010...is that an implicit admission that those oils have not been heavily reformulated since then?
I'll have to go back and reread more carefully, not sure if this was meant to apply to every M1 oil (very curious about the 0W40s).

that's Big (evil) Oil, aka EM. I think they are marketing experts.

Last edited:
For GDI engines I use a synthetic with as low a NOACK as I can find : M1 10W30 for warm weather and PPPP 5W30 DEXOS 1 GEN 2 in colder months .

There is definitely a benefit to DI in terms of both fuel efficiency and power output. It's better in both regards. Direct injection, combined with cylinder shutdown technology is how my 455hp Corvette can get over 40 MPG on the highway.

Originally Posted By: Patman
There is definitely a benefit to DI in terms of both fuel efficiency and power output. It's better in both regards. Direct injection, combined with cylinder shutdown technology is how my 455hp Corvette can get over 40 MPG on the highway.
455hp Corvette can get over 40 MPG on the highway. That is an advantage. My 1970 GTX 440 got between 9-12 mpg. I had a problem back then with my right foot. Problem went away when I got older
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back