Synthetic Oil for Direct injection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: nap
However. I bet that keeping a sane rpm / gear at all times would ruin the fuel economy they were targeting in the first place.

I'd gather you're right about that. Even my G37, which isn't DI or turbo, is running in top gear at a steady state 30 mph around town. Now, it certainly doesn't need top gear running 30 mph around town.

My neighbor owns a 2011 (bought in 2010) 2.4L Optima GDi with over 200k miles. It's never seen a drop of synthetic, only uses 87 octane, and goes by a 5-7500k mile oci. Zero issues.

I tried introducing him to Bitog once and he looked at me cross-eyed. He runs what "the book" tells him to run and continues on with his life. I can't blame him...or argue with his results.

Except for a catch-can, his vehicle is stock. I bought one for my Sonata recently. May or may not make a difference with evaporatve gases settling back on the valves.

Originally Posted By: wemay
My neighbor owns a 2011 (bought in 2010) 2.4L Optima GDi with over 200k miles. It's never seen a drop of synthetic, only uses 87 octane, and goes by a 5-7500k mile oci. Zero issues.

I tried introducing him to Bitog once and he looked at me cross-eyed. He runs what "the book" tells him to run and continues on with his life. I can't blame him...or argue with his results.

Except for a catch-can, his vehicle is stock. I bought one for my Sonata recently. May or may not make a difference with evaporatve gases settling back on the valves.

I’ve seen pictures of what comes out of catch cans. It’s pretty ugly. Catch can would be my first “mod” to a GDI car.

Surprised you weren't on your usual Redline rant mr.burla. All of a sudden you do a 180 and recommend Amsoil ? Oh yeah, you never answered pim tac about those glass media filters helping with LSPI. Hello.

Originally Posted By: nap
Problem with these “LSPI events” is that they tend to be catastrophic. Just one is enough. “Reducing” isn’t enough, I want to read “eliminate” instead.

Kinda like "mast bumping" in helicopters. . . the word "bumping" infers that it can happen more than once--that isn't the case, at least not in the same helicopter.

Originally Posted By: Joeescape63
Hi-The 2019 Subaru Forester will have the 2.5L engine with direct injection.It will produce 182 hp but no turbo.Joe

I think it's me...I had a 2006 RAV6 and Toyota dropped the V6 option just as I started looking at a vehicle to replace it.
I buy a Forester XT and Subaru is now dropping the turbo option, not that I'm likely to be in the market for another 4-5 years.
I think Subaru is pushing hard for people to buy the three row Ascent...hope this doesn't become another Tribeca for them.
Numbers aren't everything, but I'm surprised by the small power gain for the Ascent's 2.4l DIT compared to the 2.0l in the FXT...260HP/277lb-ft compared to 250HP/258lb-ft. Just comparing displacements would suggest more like 300HP for the Ascent, and Ford's 2.3l Ecoboost is in the 300HP/lb-ft range.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: Joeescape63
Hi-The 2019 Subaru Forester will have the 2.5L engine with direct injection.It will produce 182 hp but no turbo.Joe

....but I'm surprised by the small power gain for the Ascent's 2.4l DIT compared to the 2.0l in the FXT...260HP/277lb-ft compared to 250HP/258lb-ft. Just comparing displacements would suggest more like 300HP for the Ascent, and Ford's 2.3l Ecoboost is in the 300HP/lb-ft range.

I have no doubt the 2.4L is capable of delivering significantly more power - as always the final tune is a combination of marketing, EPA fuel economy, drivability, cost, etc. One thing I was wondering is how limited will the 2.4L be on the world wide markets since many countries heavily tax engine displacement over 2.0L.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Surprised you weren't on your usual Redline rant mr.burla. All of a sudden you do a 180 and recommend Amsoil ? Oh yeah, you never answered pim tac about those glass media filters helping with LSPI. Hello.

I don't care about brand at all, I care about result and formula. Amsoil built their oil for this exact application, it is a perfect product for that. This is a thread about di turbo oil, Amsoil is ahead of the field with m1 and a very few others on the issue. Amsoil might even be the best for this application because of the extra moly. If your gonna be grown make better use of your keyboard.

What happens to paper filters when they degrade? Higher microns rolling around the engine, IE the combustion chamber. The issue with lspi is contamination (even a tiny amount) in the combustion chamber that ignites pre maturely. Cellulose filters simply are not as reliable as spun microglass, in my own multi tear testing. I feel the answer is rather basic and didn't need further explanation. You only have to be wrong once with lspi, the synthetic finer is the smarter move, they simply do not degrade and will outlast any oil.

I work part time at a local lube shop. Some of the DI cars that come even with 3000 miles between changes have oil that absolutely reeks of gasoline when I pull the drain plug.

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted By: burla
What happens to paper filters when they degrade? Higher microns rolling around the engine, IE the combustion chamber. The issue with lspi is contamination (even a tiny amount) in the combustion chamber that ignites pre maturely. Cellulose filters simply are not as reliable as spun microglass, in my own multi tear testing. I feel the answer is rather basic and didn't need further explanation. You only have to be wrong once with lspi, the synthetic finer is the smarter move, they simply do not degrade and will outlast any oil.

I agree that synthetic media is likely better in some circumstances. The degradation of cellulose media is likely exaggerated. Any data that will show this testing you referred to should be shared to make your point.

It is about making the best choices for guys/gals with di turbos imo, you will always have the doesn't matter crowd with evidence of 1,000 vehicles that rock an orange can with 7'11 conventional oil and 300,000 miles to prove it doesn't matter. But when the entire oil industry is upside down over this exact issue, maybe it is time to make informed choices. Seams like you already agree, you believe something is exaggerated but not non-existent. Whether the OP takes my advice or runs something else I certainty wish him success with it. The evidence was posted about the low calcium high moly, whatever on the filters, if someone believes paper filters are better maybe that will work out for ya. In this one situation the di turbo, I would put a lot of effort into making all the choices even a catch can and which fuel cleaners with long term use might help as well. I would suggest the PEA cleaners like Amsoil PI (another great offering by Amsoil) but don't prefer to get flogged again by some jack wagon wanting a e-brawl.

*I have the same vehicle and engine (non - turbo ) : I like Pennzoil Platinum DEXOS 1 Gen 2 5W30 with a good filter (Hyundai or FRAM Ultra) and with combination of 80% suburban / 20% Interstae driving with little short tripping and I change every 4,500 ~ 5,000 miles . Also use top tier gas , use Gumout or Techron fuel system cleaner just before the oil change and lastly - consider to use CRC Intake Valve spray cleaner every 10,000 to 15,000 miles . Johnny Johnson also made a good point : OEM's need to add port fuel injectors to each cylynder to help with intake valve deposits .
Originally Posted By: trooplewis
I've been wondering about this questions as well, since I have a 2017 Sonata 2.4L that is DI.

Maybe it's not a valid assumption, but I would think that a synthetic would not fry itself onto the valve stems like dino oil would. Sort of the same reasoning that affected the Mini Cooper turbos; if you used dino oil, it coked up the bearings in the turbocharger that were fed with sump oil.

Pennz Platinum 5w30 and NAPA Platinum filters are all i run on my 2017 Regal GS 2.0T, looking to put a catch can on her, any ideas where to purchase one ? No extended oil changes here.
31.gif

Mr.burla "If your gonna be grown make better use of your keyboard" What does that even mean and who the [censored] are you? You just blurt out your own facts which are just opinions, typical know-it-all. You still don't know the difference between THEN and THAN. Smarten up.

Blurt out my own facts, LMAO. You are aware that I posted what CHEVRON's paper is on the ISSUE? I mean I posted it clear as day, is CHEVRON a hack on the issue? Obviously you have an ax to grind and the mods are gonna sit on their hands and let you, but the OP is entitled to real information from the leading sources on this important issue, which I posted. As it happens, Amsoil SS formulation matches exactly what Chevron's paper says is the best formulation for the LSPI issue. In case you missed it apparently you must of with that post, here it is yet again. If you have any counter argument against anything I've said as far as facts, please feel free to post them up instead of the childish posts you seam intent on posting.

Oronite on LSPI

Look burla,I've followed your posts and for the most part they're just a load of horse manure. Just the other day you were on Amsoil's case big time. I mean they're your posts, look them up. You've done a complete reversal on your opinion of their SS line. Very contradictory, I don't know how you can't see it.

Originally Posted By: madeej11
Look burla,I've followed your posts and for the most part they're just a load of horse manure. Just the other day you were on Amsoil's case big time. I mean they're your posts, look them up. You've done a complete reversal on your opinion of their SS line. Very contradictory, I don't know how you can't see it.

If you have issue with me on some OTHER thread that would be an appropriate place to bring it up. As far as Amsoil SS, it was built for this purpose, at the same time what people thought was good for older style engines, still applies, so if you choose to make an oil specifically for DI Turbo's, then perhaps you will loose some customers that do not have Di Turbo's. However, this is a thread on DI TURBOS, and your attack reminds me of something that would happen in kindergarten. Since you completely lost your chance to be grown in this thread, NEXT time try arguing against my point and not some ancient post that you are budt hurt over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back