Syn vs Dino cold start

Status
Not open for further replies.
All 5w30 must meet the CCS spec (6600 cP at -30C).

PQIA tests for this spec, so, you could use that data to see which one was best if cold starting viscosity is the most important factor for you when choosing an oil.

Originally Posted By: Camprunner
I have only used synthetic oil in the winter in the several SUV's I have owned over the years and always 5w30. Is there much of a cold starting difference between a 5w30 conventional oil vs a synthetic at say below zero? Has anyone here ever compared and noticed any difference?

While not common, there are some 5w-30 conventionals that will have better CCS or MRV than some 5w-30 synthetics. It's not that common, but it does happen. It's certainly more noticeable if you're comparing a 5w-30 conventional ILSAC to a 5w-30 synthetic non-ILSAC.

For any given W qualification, there should be little discernable difference.
I mostly run syn oils and IMO, the ease with which the engine cranks is more a matter of the adequacy of the battery than it is the oil.
Many new cars come with tiny batteries and so don't crank with a lot of enthusiasm at below 0F ambients, even where a 0W-20 oil is used.
Any engine is loud after sitting all night at really cold ambient temperatures and the oil and filter used won't make any difference.

I had a remote starter (CompuStar 1st gen system - was amazing) installed in my 1995 Mustang back in the day, and before I knew anything about oil, I was running the cheapest stuff I could get. The remote starter had a feature where it would crank the first time for approx 7 seconds, and if the car didn't start, it would attempt a second crank for 10 seconds, and if it didn't start, it would attempt a third and final crank for approx 12 seconds (dont quote me on the times - but that was the jist of the system, 3 cranks, each one lasting a bit longer).

I noticed that while running regular dino for the first year or so, in winter I would come outside, and the car would not have started. It would have attempted to crank all 3 times, and it wouldn't start. After changing to synthetic, I rarely had to wait for the second attempt, it would usually crank and start on the first attempt. Nothing changed, crank times were TIMED via the remote start system, and my car obviously found it easier to start when she had synthetic in her belly. Synthetic SHINES in cold weather cranking and flow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back