Switching to M1 0w40 causing more chain noise

I had been using 0w40 castrol and switched to m1 after reading several threads here praising it over the castrol since it has lost some certs with its latest blend, however my 2006 Vw Rabbit has developed chain noise with this oil.

I have done two OCI with it and after about 2k the noise appears.

The 2.5 motor from 2005-2007 had chain issues and was corrected in the 2008 year. I have 183k on the motor and would like to baby the chains as much as I can.

Should I use LL-01 simce its a chain specific cert?

Would it serve to return to the 0W40 castrol or is there something out there with a higher HTHS that I can get at my local Walmart?

Blaming oil might be an expensive guess when its probably better to investigate the timing system itself.
Definitely, I would love to inspect it.

Just found it odd after 110k miles of my use that a noise would happen after a different oil was used.

Also what makes the timing system in this motor a hassle is that it sits on the back of the engine, plus the parts and timing tools would out cost the purchase of a low mileage motor twice over.

The valvetrain and engine in general in my car is noisier with M1 0W-40 compared to Castrol 0W-40. It burns it a lot more too. I've tried Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 and it behaves similar to the Castrol. So far QS 5W-40 has been behaving the best.

The valvetrain and engine in general in my car is noisier with M1 0W-40 compared to Castrol 0W-40. It burns it a lot more too. I've tried Pennzoil Euro 0W-40 and it behaves similar to the Castrol. So far QS 5W-40 has been behaving the best.
I was thinking about going 5w40 QS since PPE is MIA around here. I’ve read that’s it’s pretty much the same as PPE.

This is bottle of M1 I still have that I bought months ago. The Walmart website shows different specs. Must have got an update in formulation.
IMG_1210.jpeg
IMG_1209.jpg

Reactions: jcy
The formulation was updated some time ago. It is slowly trickling down. My Wal mart now only has API SP.
Do you think I should stay with the 0w40 M1 if I get the newer formula or go with the QS/PPE 5w40, concerning my chain concerns?

Do you think I should stay with the 0w40 M1 if I get the newer formula or go with the QS/PPE 5w40, concerning my chain concerns?
M1 was always giving me excellent UOA. I used it on track, in various vehicles. You could try to use other oil just to eliminate that variable. Maybe it is an actual issue with the chain. So check other oil, PPE, Valvoline Euro 5W40, QS 5W40 etc.

M1 was always giving me excellent UOA. I used it on track, in various vehicles. You could try to use other oil just to eliminate that variable. Maybe it is an actual issue with the chain. So check other oil, PPE, Valvoline Euro 5W40, QS 5W40 etc.
Thank you.

M1 has always made more "noise" in any VW I've put it in, especially my GTI pushing ~ 350hp. Probably due to the quick shearing, but I'm confident it was still protecting. Did burn off quicker than anything else too. Went back to Castrol (0W-40) and things quieted down significantly. Try the 5W-40s from QS, Valvoline and Castrol if you're shopping at Wally.

As mentioned, you should check chain stretch before your engine grenades anyway, regardless of swapping around oils. Super easy with VCDS or OBDII. You also have that other weak link (sorry, pun) of wear called the cam follower. I used to keep a couple on hand for the older FSI stuff.

Back