It's time to play "What oil for"... 2011 Land Rover RR w/ 5.0 NA motor

I was doing some double checking and I listed the pop specs for a later model.

In 2011 the vehicle is specced for 5w20 matching the Ford Spec 948B.

Though what many people might not know is they specify 15k mile or 12 month OCI under normal usage.

But a 3750 mile and 3 month OCI under Severe Usage.

And I would personally consider anywhere with a hot or dusty climate, or lots of idling time in traffic, to be Severe Usage

Last edited:
Not to revive this thread. But for what it’s worth, we’ve had Rover since 96’. Currently still have a 2010 RR 5.0 N.A. and 19 RE 5.0 SC. We’ve been running 40 weight since new.

Not real issue, the UOA comes back really well for the most part. I don’t know if there is any benefits but we have several MB vehicles that run 40 and I personally like it more (piece of mind). Chains were done at 65k miles. There was a spike is Fe (Iron) at one point, no idea from where and it’s slowly dropping

Attachments

• IMG_9268.jpeg
    IMG_9268.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Not to revive this thread. But for what it’s worth, we’ve had Rover since 96’. Currently still have a 2010 RR 5.0 N.A. and 19 RE 5.0 SC. We’ve been running 40 weight since new.

Not real issue, the UOA comes back really well for the most part. I don’t know if there is any benefits but we have several MB vehicles that run 40 and I personally like it more (piece of mind). Chains were done at 65k miles. There was a spike is Fe (Iron) at one point, no idea from where and it’s slowly dropping
I guess if you've done chains already and have been doing 5-6k OCIs since new, we can safely say the early guides are at fault and not the longer OCIs.

I just sent my 5w30 sample to Blackstone and switched to Valvoline Euro 0w20 for this one. It seems quieter, but who knows. The injectors are so dang loud.

Interesting this thread popped back up today as I just drained (actually sucked) and refilled with M1 ESP X2 0W-20 last night. That is apparently the approved oil from M1 for this motor. The oil coming out only had 2K miles on it and boy was it nasty. Surprised by that, given the motor is quite clean inside. We'll see what this looks like in 5K miles or so.

Back