Switch From Fram Ultra To OEM ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
*I am leaning this direction - I bought the Sonata new and with the exception of a free dealer oil change (I did the first one myself at 1,500 miles) I have done all the oil changes with DEXOS 1 Gen 1/2 synthetic 5W30 so the engine is clean as it's ever going to be with 5,000 mile OCI's (max) .
Originally Posted by Bud_One
I'd run it for two OCIs and call it a day.

*It is my understanding that a PAPER element filter (such as Hyundai OEM) reach a filtering point where their filtering reaches a saturation point - then abruptly spikes due to the flat filtering surface of paper . The Fram Ultra filter media being synthetic does not have this issue as containments do not load up on the surface as they do with a paper media oil filter .
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Ducati996
I agree with reusing the ultra for 2 or 3 oil changes or 15,000 miles.
What most don't understand is that all filters become seasoned thru use, by that I mean the filter media becomes more efficient at capturing smaller and smaller particles during use. New filters have larger pores in the media that become filled with particles thru use.
A filter near the end of its life cycle is more efficient at capturing small particles, on the other hand the flow rate also decreases.
The ideal scenario would be to use the filter until the pressure drop across the media increases to a value below the bypass value on lube filters.
Large trucks use indicators on their air filters to indicate when replacement is needed.
Industry measures pressure drop across lube & hydraulic filters as replacement criteria.
90cummins

Not always true according to this SAE paper.
https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/650866/

https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/650866/preview/

And this from Purolator/Mann+Hummel research.

What most don't understand is that all filters become seasoned thru use, by that I mean the filter media becomes more efficient at capturing smaller and smaller particles during use. New filters have larger pores in the media that become filled with particles thru use.
A filter near the end of its life cycle is more efficient at capturing small particles, on the other hand the flow rate also decreases.
The ideal scenario would be to use the filter until the pressure drop across the media increases to a value below the bypass value on lube filters.
Large trucks use indicators on their air filters to indicate when replacement is needed.
Industry measures pressure drop across lube & hydraulic filters as replacement criteria.
90cummins

The used filter also flows less as the filter captures " stuff " & may / probably has a larger pressure drop .

Hyundai's filtering efficiency is lower but I don't think your engine cares. It won't really make a difference so just go with what's cheaper for you. I personally use the Hyundai OEM filter on my Santa Fe due to their engine issues.

I use Ultra in my Mazda.

Originally Posted by jongies3
I used to swear by OEM Toyota filters for my Tacoma but like you, after finding out how poor their filtering abilities are, went with Fram. OEM filters are good quality, but they don't seem to have engine longevity in mind. Toyota's are 50% at 20 microns, which isn't good at all.

To say that Toyota (or Honda) do not have engine longevity in mind is not based on any evidence. I've used OEM (or Denso) filters on both my Toyota cars since new and Honda OEM filters on the Accord, and none of them have abnormal consumption nor other issues I can detect. In fact I just did a leakdown test on the Accord and it gave very good results which I posted here.

I've considered running a leakdown test on the Sienna just for fun, but it's too much work on that engine reaching the back bank especially when hot.

Originally Posted by jongies3
I used to swear by OEM Toyota filters for my Tacoma but like you, after finding out how poor their filtering abilities are, went with Fram. OEM filters are good quality, but they don't seem to have engine longevity in mind. Toyota's are 50% at 20 microns, which isn't good at all.

There are plenty of Toyotas that hit the 200-300K mark with the original engine on nothing but the cheapest bulk oil and dealer/jobber filters or OCODs on them. There's other problems like oil starvation, and poor engineering decisions(1ZZ-FE/1NZ-FE/2AZ-FE piston rings, MZ series oil sludge) that bring them down.

Last edited:
I would continue with the Fram Ultras. I've been reading many owner accounts stating GDI engines produce more soot and carbon and whatnot for the oil to hold, so I think you will be better off with a high-end filter. Sure the OEM filter will work also, but you really aren't talking about a big cost savings... maybe $50 over the life of the vehicle?

Whichever you choose, make your best decision and don't worry about it. I see too many people doing lots of research and making a good decision, then they still worry about it. Don't do that to yourself.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
90cummins

The used filter also flows less as the filter captures " stuff " & may / probably has a larger pressure drop .

And to add ... that pressure drop (ie, the delta-p across the media) is what can cause already captured particles to break loose from the media, which shows up as being less efficient. Some media can hold particles in place with delta-p better than other media designs. The way the ISO efficiency rating is calculated, a filter that has a high average efficiency has to be able to retain captured particles very well in order to receive a high ISO test efficiency rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back